• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HOS 92 1st cgc 9.8

76 posts in this topic

Many copies are printed very light on the ink, so that white speckles overpower the image making it look weaker. Back in the early 90s when the book started to really go up in value there was always a premium attached to full density copies.

This one looks very speckly, what do the even-more speckled ones look like?

RADC4C76201148_151610.jpg

Was that cover rendered as a pointilism piece (ie anyone seen the OA) or did they just plan to make it look like a "grey tone" cover?

The original art appears to just be washes, but it looks like they screened it to print as a coquille texture effect.

here is the original cover art

Ah, yes. I forgot. I saw that at Metro when I was there last year.

What a pretty piece. It almost looks better in B+W, as does much of Wrightson's work.

As for this encouraging more pressing...the books has been a big money book in 9.4, 9.6 for a long time. the motivation to press has been out there forever. heck, it has been known forever that the book is impossible in uber HG...I remember reading Overstreet reports from 16, 17 years ago about how such and such copy above NM sold for multiples of guide and so on.

That was the thinking about GL 76 for a long time. When 9.4 copies were selling for more than $10K, and yet more copies still weren`t appearing in 9.4 or higher, people (including myself) started thinking it must be genuinely difficult to find in 9.4.

But once a 9.6 copy sold for $30K, the floodgates opened for more 9.4 and better copies to appear. It was like that was the magic threshold that suddenly made it worthwhile for people to find and/or manufacture similar copies.

well, you can say manufacture, but we don't really know.

I know, that's why I said "find and/or manufacture". We know there's definitely some manufacturing going on, but as you said there's also many copies emerging from collections that are not pressed.

The 9.8 GL 76 that surfaced recently, for example, was an unpressed copy according to the boardie who said he knew the consignor.

I just tend to think that for books like this, which probably appealed to a 20 year old comic collector in 1972 who is now pushing 60 (or a 25 year old one who is pushing 65) who has been hit by a couple of stock market crashes, maybe laid off from their middle management job, etc. etc., when you start hitting those kinds of numbers for high grade copies, they start digging in the closet even if they haven't actively collected for 20 or whatever years. You'd think the pressers/speculators have been scouring the market for the last 5-10 years to find 9.0 - 9.4s that could be made better for the kind of coin those two books have been bringing in HG.

Other books are different, like your Joe 21 or even NTT 2 or Ms. Marvel 16(?)...those sorts of books that peaked for short period and so on...I'll believe the growth #s in the census may have been pushed heavily by pressing as there were already a lot of raw 9.4s out there floating around, not necessarily sitting in a 60 year old's closet.

I just tend to think that for books like this, which probably appealed to a 20 year old comic collector in 1972 who is now pushing 60 (or a 25 year old one who is pushing 65) who has been hit by a couple of stock market crashes, maybe laid off from their middle management job, etc. etc., when you start hitting those kinds of numbers for high grade copies, they start digging in the closet even if they haven't actively collected for 20 or whatever years. You'd think the pressers/speculators have been scouring the market for the last 5-10 years to find 9.0 - 9.4s that could be made better for the kind of coin those two books have been bringing in HG.

Other books are different, like your Joe 21 or even NTT 2 or Ms. Marvel 16(?)...those sorts of books that peaked for short period and so on...I'll believe the growth #s in the census may have been pushed heavily by pressing as there were already a lot of raw 9.4s out there floating around, not necessarily sitting in a 60 year old's closet.

Great point, most of those books your talking about have many more 9.6s just a waiting for someone to manufacture into more 9.8s, short-term it`s profitable but we shall see in the long run, I mean for about $100 to $150 you can just about get any post 1980- book in CGC 9.8, really not much of a challenge unless you go for a indy like TMNT #1 or some other indy. 2c