• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New to the hobby, wondering about something...

71 posts in this topic

I've been accidentally sucked into this hobby, and have decided to just go with it.

I notice that the grade of a comic seems to be the most important aspect, behind, of course, what comic it is to begin with. I don't generally approach things the same way most people do, so this grade aspect got me thinking:

Has anyone ever collected a full gradation(0.5 - 9.8(seems like the consensus top grade)) of a specific issue?

I also asked this in the Ask CGC Forum.

Thanks,

Kevin

No doubt that Cal has every grade of Iron Man & Sub-Mariner #1 :insane::applause:

From top-down (requiring that a 10.0 and 9.9 exist), the two closest are:

Wolverine #1 - every grade except 0.5, 1.0, 1.5, 1.8

and

Web of Spider-Man #1 - every grade except 1.0, 1.5, 1.8, 2.5

From bottom-up, the two closest are the previously mentioned Hulk #181, and ASM #19, both of which have only one 9.9 and no 10.0's.

The Overstreet Grading guide did this with an issue of the Atom. Not CGCd, of course.

But they only did it with the "point Zero" grades. There's 9 examples, from 9.0 to 1.0.

I have a version that does this with ASM 50. I'm pretty sure they had .5 grades in there, but I'd have to check my copy to be sure. I just ate so I dont wanna get up though.

You must have the 3rd edition, I only have the 2nd edition.

You might have to follow Tim's advice for creating your specific lower grade copies...and your disposable income would certainly factor in. A comic like ASM 300 might be do-able ,but a 9.9 or 10.0 could prove costly. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

You guys are all looking in the wrong place. The best book to do this would be an ultra-common modern or Copper book that wouldn`t cost an arm and leg for the 10.0, 9.9 and 9.8 copies. Like a Spawn 1, X-Men 1 (Jim Lee version, of course), New Mutants 1, etc.

1. Buy slabbed copies in 10.0, 9.9 and 9.8.

2. You can decide whether to buy 9.6 and 9.4 copies that are slabbed already or buy NM raw copies and submit yourself. My guess is it`s probably going to be cheaper to buy them slabbed already, if people are even willing to sell those books slabbed in those grades.

3. Similarly, for lower grades, buy slabbed if they are even available for sale and if they cost less than the cost of submitting.

4. For the remaining grades, buy 30 raw copies in no worse than VF/NM condition, and start trashing them in varying degrees. Submit and see what grades you get.

5. Rinse and repeat until you`ve got slabbed copies in all grades.

Then you can do a second set for signature series, and a third qualified set. If that's too easy, there are 6 possible purple label sets to pursue (pro/amateur s/m/e). Sounds fun, so long as you're ingesting shrooms throughout the entire process.

Web of Spider-Man #1 - every grade except 1.0, 1.5, 1.8, 2.5

I hear the guy who owns the 5.0 ain't selling.

You guys are all looking in the wrong place. The best book to do this would be an ultra-common modern or Copper book that wouldn`t cost an arm and leg for the 10.0, 9.9 and 9.8 copies. Like a Spawn 1, X-Men 1 (Jim Lee version, of course), New Mutants 1, etc.

1. Buy slabbed copies in 10.0, 9.9 and 9.8.

2. You can decide whether to buy 9.6 and 9.4 copies that are slabbed already or buy NM raw copies and submit yourself. My guess is it`s probably going to be cheaper to buy them slabbed already, if people are even willing to sell those books slabbed in those grades.

3. Similarly, for lower grades, buy slabbed if they are even available for sale and if they cost less than the cost of submitting.

4. For the remaining grades, buy 30 raw copies in no worse than VF/NM condition, and start trashing them in varying degrees. Submit and see what grades you get.

5. Rinse and repeat until you`ve got slabbed copies in all grades.

Then you can do a second set for signature series, and a third qualified set. If that's too easy, there are 6 possible purple label sets to pursue (pro/amateur s/m/e). Sounds fun, so long as you're ingesting shrooms throughout the entire process.

Creating a full set of PLODs in all grades would be the biggest challenge of all. I'd love to see a PLOD 10.0.