• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thor Movie as good as Iron Man

602 posts in this topic

Branagh directs decent film shock!!!! :o :o

Just came back from a press screening in Leicester Square. Have to say that unbelievably, this is on a par with the first Iron Man film, which is high praise indeed from a curmudgeonly old git like me.

Half-decent -script (with the odd clever or self-referential moment), non-irritating supporting cast, sound acting and performances, and the right amount of respect for the source material (not too slavish) made for a highly entertaining flick.

It was a bit lightweight as you'd expect, but the excellent (3D) special effects and storyboarding meant the film looked fantastic, whilst the actors, especially Hopkins and Hiddlestone, were well cast and played it straight.

And barely any soft-metal in the soundtrack. Worth seeing in the cinema rather than on DVD.

This is very encouraging. Can't wait! Might have to do the Thursday night showing on xD. :whee:

Branagh directs decent film shock!!!! :o :o

Just came back from a press screening in Leicester Square.

Not another pressing thread! (tsk)

Seriously, I appreciate the advance reviews and am getting increasingly psyched for the film's widespread US release.

The Thor movie website has been updated with a great deal of info. I like this bit from Ashley Edward Miller's bio: "Ashley is currently a resident of Los Angeles, California, where he lives with his comic books and action figures. At the mercy of his wife and young son."

http://thor.marvel.com/

I saw both of the online trailers for Cap and Thor at the LCS today.....both were awesome....though Thor is definitely my favorite. I'll definitely be making plans for the FULL 3-D Imax experience. I just hope they devote the 2 plus hours to it that it deserves. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I just saw the Austrian Press screening of Thor and I have to say, that the movie is fantastic. Like with Iron Man before I expected not much and was surprised how good it was. I can't say anything negative about it. I think Kenneth Branagh did a wonderful job, the whole concept of Asgard is well done and looks great. The Rainbow bridge is absolutely stunning.

Here are some spoilers

- Thor offering his help to Shield protecting Earth from every threat

:applause:

lots of easter eggs in that one

dogs name is loki

asguard on car

stark coffee cup

ironman key chain or something in car

thor action figure in the background in one shot

Just got back from the movie.

I thought they did a great job of walking that thin line between preposterous and over the top fun.

Jack Kirby would have loved a lot of this film, especially Asgard and the Bifrost 'generator'.

My wife (who thinks Thor is a bit silly as a comic character) had a great time too, which is nice. She commented that the setting on Midgard* reminded her of the Oklahoma settings in the Strazinsky 2007 reboot. (The only Thor comic she cared for.)

And there are plenty of characters who will be recognisable to comic geeks. The warriors three are pretty well done.

And Sif. Who'd have thought Natalie Portman would have a rival? :cloud9:

8/10

*Earth

I just bought my tickets for IMAX this Friday I am so excited. I was supposed to get the midnight first screening but I might not enjoy it as much since that is way passed my bedtime. I cant wait for this Friday! :)

90% fresh on rotten tomatoes with over 20 reviews in. i was terrified of this flick being campy and/or bad, but it looks like marvel has done it again.

very good sign. looks like marvel has my $10

Yup. I am really, really excited. I had low expectations for this movie but it seems that the new marketing strategy is to lower expectations for viewers.

I can't wait!