• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel's new cover stock for the Ultimates line

25 posts in this topic

Marvel is changing it again. Read all about it.

IT'S ABOUT TIME ALREADY! I was seriously considering dropping USM and UXM (but keeping the outrageously outrageous Ultimates) because of the new cover stock. Every single copy of USM that hit the stands yesterday was damaged at my local dealer. So, I went to another dealer which orders huge quantities of books, and even still, there wasn't a single copy that had a shot in hell of getting more than a 9.4 from CGC and most were 8.5 to 9.0. This is the kind of hassle I don't need.

These days, we readers/collectors need reasons to keep buying books...we already have plenty of reasons to drop titles.

Gene

I liked the glossy look of the newer Ultimate covers, but you're right, they damage too easily. Very slight bends that normally wouldn't break color tended to show breaks in that thick- gloss WAAAAAAY too easily. It brought a new facet to grading I had never seen before--"gloss-breaking" creases.

I think the new covers really stink. What's with the fancy? Where's the quality? Glossy doesn't make it better. The new stock would only be good if distributors handled the comics the way collectors handle comics. I think it's just a scam to limit the amount of mint books.