• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mark Jewelers inserts...
19 19

1,020 posts in this topic

http://www.awe4one.com/NDS-MJ%20Inserts/Insert%20webpage.html

As a footnote, Jul and Oct 1973 comics, in addition to containing the MJ inserts, also had an additional inside cover wrap with advertising specifically targeting military members. These wraps, better known as the Mennen and Alka Seltzer/Club inserts, will be covered in a future segment of this series.

Edited by etanick

Thanks etanick, so it‘s the "regular" MJ insert for that month which happened to have also the cover wrap?

The presence of both those inserts has kept my Fear copy very well. As the writer on that site mentions, the MJ insert worked as a sort of "backing board". Plus, it’s nice to see such kind of ads, they help to immerse yourself in the time and age the comic came out, and in a pretty different culture (you wouldn’t have find ads targeted at military personnel in italian comics, I think).

i believe so. I have only one book with the MJ insert. It is the Conan 39 and it has the same one as shown in Part 2 of that website.

I bet yours have the same insert plus the extra cover wrap. Yup, having the insert protect the spine very well.

Edited by etanick

Any one have any idea why so few are sold on Ebay other than mycomicshop ?

There must of been some kids at army bases stashing them away ?

:)

I think it's that most people who sell mid-grade BA (which the majority of them are in) on eBay have no clue what they are, especially the National Diamond inserts or the slick MJIs from the '80s.

Any one have any idea why so few are sold on Ebay other than mycomicshop ?

There must of been some kids at army bases stashing them away ?

:)

I think it's that most people who sell mid-grade BA (which the majority of them are in) on eBay have no clue what they are, especially the National Diamond inserts or the slick MJIs from the '80s.

I bet your corect

A fellow boardie is selling this one on ebay

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/230629174060?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I just picked up a copy of the Amazing Spider-man 299 and 301 both with the MJ inserts. Both a buck a piece. How rare are those?
I would think an individual issue's "scarcity" is relative to it's print run. I'm not sure if the actual ratio of MJI copies vs. regular copies is known. I've heard 1-2% were MJI's. I'm not sure where that number would come from unless someone knows how many units were distributed through AAFES (or similar retail) compared to a total printrun of an issue.

There would be more ASM #299 MJ copies printed than a less popular title from the same publication month is how I understand it.

What‘s the point of having a Mark Jeweler’s insert if you can’t see it? lol

I'm quite curious what if you tear up the insert and left a little page on it or the tear mark guide in the comic, will cgc still consider it as a mark jeweler's variant? hm

Edited by ygerg

I repeat my question regarding stamps on the MJ books sold at bases here, so we can keep a single thread (thanks Sandflea!) devoted to the subject: :)

post pics i have not ever seen them probably most of us have not either :applause:

Are there any of these in CGC and noted???

+1

I did not know they were also distributed in US Military bases in Europe. I’d love to see a scan. :)