• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mark Jewelers inserts...
19 19

1,027 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Cpt Kirk said:
9 hours ago, ganni said:

National Diamond inserts active were in the 70s.  This is different.  Mark Jewelers and National Diamond Sales were apparently big-time advertising contemporaries to Military Diamond Sales.  Both comics are dated May 1984.

ttt1b.jpg

ttt1a.jpg

Expand  

Yes, that ad appeared in all DC comics with the cover date of May 1984.  What's fun is finding the same comic books but with the Mark Jeweler insert in addition to what you see above.   I have never seen nor heard of a National Diamond sales insert being placed into a DC comic book (besides a regular ad like you see above).  If anyone can show a National Diamond sales insert on a DC comic book, I would love to see it.

Thanks for the Knowledge! I was unaware! :headbang: 

1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I collected Spidey MJIs for the same reason Captain - I was a completist - but I also loved the feel of them. They have a very nice, firm rigidity to them. And anything that is different has always got my vote. As to value, I used to get them very reasonably until I alerted some fellow collectors to their wonders and then they started outbidding me. I think the number of collectors is likely to be comparably small, but the nature of those collectors means that they will pay what most would consider obscene amounts to fill that hole.

I agree - like all variants, once everyone in the interested crowd has a decent copy, new to market copies can sit for a while - especially if they aren't keys.

I liked to label mine so they looked lovely like this:

119ndsc.thumb.jpg.e1e6053cb4bcb09d71eee9168cbc7ddb.jpg

138mjic.thumb.jpg.82a49476936831a433ca683baa2ea3af.jpg

176mjic.thumb.jpg.9964098db29fe37ff59360072cbf425d.jpg

170878410_252mji.thumb.jpg.a318cb64967a639a902b23c950da6dab.jpg

Three backing boards, an internal Mylite2, trimmed to size with the label and an outer Mylite2. A solid slab of loveliness. 

Never sell Captain, no matter what. 

love it man.   Only my kids will be selling those MJs.... lol

Love this thread. BTW if anyone has a MJI copy of Conan 104 that they want to send my way, LMK. The first letter on the letters page was penned by 12 year old me and I'd like to get an MJI of this book.

49 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

Love this thread. BTW if anyone has a MJI copy of Conan 104 that they want to send my way, LMK. The first letter on the letters page was penned by 12 year old me and I'd like to get an MJI of this book.

You know, I never thought of that.  In that case, if anyone has a copy of Thor 238 with the MJI, I'd be interested.

Hi, 
Someone broke into my friends house/garage in San Francisco and stole 9 or 10 short boxes of comics.

Here's a breakdown of the stolen books to the best of knowledge at this time most identifiable.

Three short boxes full of 
Dell, Harvey, Gold Key and Charlton
comics all double mylared at the time of theft. One of the boxes was full of Dell Westerns.
5 boxes of misc runs of early to late Bronze Age Marvels all main titles  in higher grade. Quite a few still in old sticky mylites. A couple of boxes in new bags with self sealed tops strips not sealed. 
One half of one box with early bronze Thors in mylars with top tabs sliced off. 
!!!!!!One box mostly filled with high grade Marvel 40 cent price range Mark Jeweler insert copies.!!!!!!!!
Two boxes filled with misc oddball golden age, stack of lower grade Uncle Scrooge comics, foreign copies of the Phantom, higher grade Adventure Comics numbers 360-379, Flash, Actions, Forever people and New Gods and mix of coverless golden age and silver age.
Early sixties fanzines and magazines etc etc etc🤔😡🔨
Thanks

1 hour ago, MattTheDuck said:

Six months ago - before I started lurking here - I had no idea what a "Mark Jewelers Insert" was.  But in the review of my collection, came up with these two.  Thanos and Mark Jewelers?  Makes ya think.

AV - 125 - MJI.jpg

AV - 126 - MJI.jpg

The gloves are a nice touch :) and... cool ;) !

43 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

The gloves are a nice touch :) and... cool ;) !

A. I don't have the kind of nice manicure many on here have

2. I'm not sure they're necessary, but I assume any oil transfer = bad.  Not that I'm handling the books that often out of the bags.  My books have enough dinks and dunks as it is.

1 minute ago, MattTheDuck said:

A. I don't have the kind of nice manicure many on here have

2. I'm not sure they're necessary, but I assume any oil transfer = bad.  Not that I'm handling the books that often out of the bags.  My books have enough dinks and dunks as it is.

Oh ya, I'd use them too, but most of my readers are low enough grade that the mark down for fingerprints wouldn't affect

I wasn't railing you, I applaud the effort! Makes me feel like I'm lazy, but lol such is life :tink: still I would if I had those kinds of raws too :) 

A year ago I bought a large collection and about 5000-6000 books had the MJ insert (bought in Germany) Last month I bought the 2nd part of this collection and again a very large number of books has the MJ insert.

Most are in very high grade. If any of you has been checking the Comiclink auctions the past year but I've sold/auctioned about 500 MJ insert books in their auctions.

The most interesting thing about the 2nd part of this collection is that there are a very large number of Goldkey books in there and several of them also have the MJ inserts. I didn't know that. I though they were only published/inserted in DC & Marvel comics.

I haven't had time to check all the books yet. That will take some time but so far I found the MJ in roughly 20-30 Goldkey Star trek comics.

On 8/23/2021 at 3:14 PM, mmokken said:

I haven't had time to check all the books yet. That will take some time but so far I found the MJ in roughly 20-30 Goldkey Star trek comics.

Funny you should say that, as I was a fair yesterday and thought I saw the tell-tale blue line on a Star Trek #9. Nice to know.