• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mark Jewelers inserts...
19 19

1,020 posts in this topic

On 11/4/2021 at 5:25 AM, Mr.Fantastic said:

How much of a premium do MJ inserts usually command over the same book in the same grade??

My take is the conversation starts getting interesting with high pop key's.   MJ's, and newsstand variants start getting pulled out from the herd for a price bump.

On 11/3/2021 at 8:00 PM, Microchip said:

My take is the conversation starts getting interesting with high pop key's.   MJ's, and newsstand variants start getting pulled out from the herd for a price bump.

I've noticed some pretty good bumps in books that are higher grade with inserts as well. Which makes sense, the MJ inserts are hard enough to find, but finding them inside a key or high grade copy is even more rare.

On 11/3/2021 at 9:00 PM, Microchip said:

After competing for and buying hundreds of jeweler variants, I agree.  The key issues seem to get a serious price bump.  The jeweler and NDS inserts can also make an otherwise unsellable comic book sellable.  It gets really weird is when two or more jeweler fanatics compete for a jeweler variant that none of them have, but really want.  I saw a non-key Justice League of America 107 in gvg condition sell for around $100 because neither one of us fanatics had it in our collection.  I lost out on that one.  The seller would have a hard time getting $3 for that comic book if not for the jeweler insert.

On 10/20/2021 at 8:59 AM, IngelsFan said:

This is a recent pick up, and a semi-key book, since it is the first appearance of Lucien (though not noted on the CGC label).

A07D549F-9FF8-4F5B-B569-3424F02CDAE4.jpeg

GCD has the on-sale date of Tales of Ghost Castle #1 as February 4th compared to this issue on February 20th.  But since it was monthly when Ghost Castle was bi-monthly it does have the earlier cover date.

On 11/3/2021 at 6:16 PM, OtherEric said:

GCD has the on-sale date of Tales of Ghost Castle #1 as February 4th compared to this issue on February 20th.  But since it was monthly when Ghost Castle was bi-monthly it does have the earlier cover date.

That’s definitely odd. I wonder if there was a problem that led to Weird Mystery 18 being delayed, because the page in WM announces that Tales of Ghost Castle will be on sale February 6th. If it was planned to be release on the 20th, logic would dictate that it would say “on sale now”.

image.jpeg

On 2/17/2022 at 9:23 AM, grendelbo said:

I've begun the long process of rebagging & reboarding my collection. Going into my BA/CA Amazing Spider-Man run, I knew I'd have more than a few MJ inserts. As a kid I remember seeing these often in my back issues. Figures. There were 3 military bases within 70 miles of where I grew up.

Anyways, last night I went through about 20 books. Sure enough as I reached issues from the late 70s they started appearing. 5 had the insert. I'm expecting to rediscover many more.

20220217_081247.jpg.2e1bf7ca5d5f6914c07fc8be93b61894.jpg

20220217_081349.jpg.13436423a381b36e781578a837847c55.jpg

^^

On 2/20/2022 at 9:37 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Are those on the way in to cgc? That #109 is looking sweet!

Congrats 👏

We'll see.  Not sure if I want to send them in yet.  The 109 I might just because it's the most "key" of them.  If I send it in, I should get it back by the turn of the decade :)

On 2/20/2022 at 1:24 PM, mec3437 said:

We'll see.  Not sure if I want to send them in yet.  The 109 I might just because it's the most "key" of them.  If I send it in, I should get it back by the turn of the decade :)

ya I feel ya. I'm kind of flabberghasted myself. I sent in a Power Man #19 or #18 that had a National Diamond Insert. It's the 1st Cotton Mouth, and while not all that popular in sales, I wanted it.....

Kind of scratching my head on if it'll get notated, or if it was worth pinging my mind off a light post to send it in and wait! lol 

On 2/25/2022 at 3:34 PM, grendelbo said:

Please, what's that?

Lol most mark jewelers have them....

The military bases stores that sell mark jewelers, usually stamp upon selling, which is most often the star. It can be placed randomly, here it is on the one above.

Screenshot_20220225-154219_Samsung Internet.jpg

On 2/25/2022 at 2:44 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

The military bases stores that sell mark jewelers, usually stamp upon selling, which is most often the star. It can be placed randomly, here it is on the one above.

Thanks. I was just doing my own research too on this. I need to post more books later. Star stamps and all.

On 2/25/2022 at 1:44 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I've found the star is less common on the MJ books as we get into the later 80's, so "usually" is perhaps a bit strong.  But certainly common.

Also, just noted to my amusement that there's a jewelry story on the cover of the issue.  That seems fitting...