• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mark Jewelers inserts...
19 19

1,027 posts in this topic

On 7/5/2022 at 8:31 PM, ganni said:

@ADAMANTIUM

Should cgc label it also the star stamp branded at the corner?

Ya the star stamp now is all the proof I have as a reason for the mechanical error, currently. I'll send it back next day shipping tomorrow and hope it is resolved. I know it has it, but they'll prove it when they crack it. Imean the book is a textbook 7.5, I knew that when I sent it, but as it is an under copy and a mji, I figured why not?

We'll see if it was worth it.

I also have a defenders 4 at cgc since last October with a national Diamondinsert, one also there since March.

:wishluck::takeit:,

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 7/10/2022 at 9:58 PM, Cpt Kirk said:

I realize this is really getting into the weeds, so I probably need to re-evaluate how I'm spending my time.  I think it is time to go see what my wife is doing.  

lol

On 7/10/2022 at 9:58 PM, Cpt Kirk said:

I just noticed this.  The attached photo is from two different copies of Superman 312 dated Jun 1977.  Notice that the Mark Jeweler insert with the "111" numerical code has a listing of all the DC Comics that were probably targeted for the advertising insert, whereas the insert with the "1" numerical code does not.  I checked some other "111" inserts from May 1977 and found that they also had this listing of comic books on them.   It makes me wonder if any of the inserts targeted for Marvel Comics had a similar list of comic books printed in tiny font on the jeweler insert.    

I've never noticed this. How has this evaded everyone until now? 

@awe4one is this news to you?

I love this kind of thing. Keep digging, Cap'n!

@Cpt Kirk

Is the issue list in this September issue in your opening post here Cap?

https://boards.cgccomics.com/topic/410427-mark-jeweler-variants-in-dc-comics/

On 7/11/2022 at 6:16 AM, ganni said:

@Cpt Kirk

Seller showed me this pic with the staple position higher.  Any chance of a mji

s292h.thumb.jpg.c1fc6e9a8bce5391a894e7926350e3e1.jpgs292l.thumb.jpg.7aafdc7227beffb828605ffcbe890f60.jpg

yes, for sure.  I would go ahead and ask the seller.   If it is, I would love it if you could tell me what the code is on the insert.   And if it is a jeweler that you don't need, I would also gladly buy it from you.  

On 7/11/2022 at 3:06 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

@Cpt Kirk

Is the issue list in this September issue in your opening post here Cap?

https://boards.cgccomics.com/topic/410427-mark-jeweler-variants-in-dc-comics/

It sure is.  Man, you sure are observant.  I should take a closer look at my jeweler inserts to see if others have that listing of DC Comics, and to see if the listing changed any over the years.

I started to do some analysis on that list.   At first glance, the list seems to just include the mainstream titles (for example, the list did not show Black Lightning, Jonah Hex, Karate Kid, Weird War Tales, etc and I am pretty sure those comic books received Mark Jeweler inserts as well).  Furthermore, the listing of titles on that Mark Jewelers is not necessarily the definitive list of what comic books received the insert.  For example, Superman Family and World's Finest is on the list but at that time Superman Family and World's Finest had been switched over to the giant Dollar Comic format.  I've never seen a Dollar Comic get the Mark Jewelers insert.  I've seen 52-page saddle-stitched units with the jeweler insert, but if someone can produce an example of a Dollar Comic with the jeweler insert, I would love to see it.

Edited by Cpt Kirk

On 7/11/2022 at 12:15 PM, Cpt Kirk said:

It sure is.  Man, you sure are observant.  I should take a closer look at my jeweler inserts to see if others have that listing of DC Comics, and to see if the listing changed any over the years.

I started to do some analysis on that list.   At first glance, the list seems to just include the mainstream titles (for example, the list did not show Black Lightning, Jonah Hex, Karate Kid, Weird War Tales, etc and I am pretty sure those comic books received Mark Jeweler inserts as well).  Furthermore, the listing of titles on that Mark Jewelers is not necessarily the definitive list of what comic books received the insert.  For example, Superman Family and World's Finest is on the list but at that time Superman Family and World's Finest had been switched over to the giant Dollar Comic format.  I've never seen a Dollar Comic get the Mark Jewelers insert.  I've seen 52-page saddle-stitched units with the jeweler insert, but if someone can produce an example of a Dollar Comic with the jeweler insert, I would love to see it.

I don't have my old MJI collection to check now, but I'd be interested to see if the list appears in any Marvels. A quick check online (I'm knee deep in Charlton journalling this morning) and I don't see any - but this example looks like there is a space on the insert for such a list to appear:

hulk-181-first-full-wolverine-mark_1_ccfbe7cc1abe5f33ce200eb4d77ab181.thumb.jpg.54b58072bb4255467936d861062281b5.jpg

It's quite a big empty space, potentially indicating it might be deliberate for adding titles?

On 7/11/2022 at 8:52 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

I don't have my old MJI collection to check now, but I'd be interested to see if the list appears in any Marvels. A quick check online (I'm knee deep in Charlton journalling this morning) and I don't see any - but this example looks like there is a space on the insert for such a list to appear:

hulk-181-first-full-wolverine-mark_1_ccfbe7cc1abe5f33ce200eb4d77ab181.thumb.jpg.54b58072bb4255467936d861062281b5.jpg

It's quite a big empty space, potentially indicating it might be deliberate for adding titles?

yes, that could very well be.  Interesting.

On 7/11/2022 at 7:14 PM, Cpt Kirk said:

Finally.  After approximately 10 years of searching, I have acquired every single Mark Jeweler insert in the title of Superman Comics.   The run includes all 158 jeweler variants from Superman 255 (August 1972) through 420 (Jun 1986).    The only issues that don’t have inserts in this title are as follows:  272/278/284 (square-bound giants), 285/286 (jeweler ads were not inserted into DC Comics during those two months), 377 (Masters of Universe insert), 400 (giant sized issue), 411 (Mask comic book insert), and 421 (slick Mask advertising insert).

I don’t know of anyone who’s reached this goal in a long-standing run of DC Comics (and I’m not sure it’s ever been done in similar fashion with any long-running Marvel Comics titles either).  If it has, I would love to hear about it.

Here’s what I had to do to reach the goal:  Over the years I bought a bunch of jeweler variants from MyComicShop and Mile High Comics because they made note of these variants when they got them.  I kept a saved searches on ebay called “Superman jeweler”, “Batman Jeweler”, “Detective Jeweler”, etc for most of those 10 years and looked the ebay email hits for those searches every morning. I periodically did internet searches on “Superman Mark Jewelers” which led me to a sellers such as a “Burning Comics” in Belgium and “We Got Issues” in Ireland.  The really good guy at Burning Comics had nearly all Superman jeweler variants in very high grade from issue 301 through 400 as well as a bunch of jeweler variants in the other titles I collect.  Furthermore, I had a friend in Germany who was constantly on the lookout for jeweler inserts since they were mostly sold in military PX’s overseas and there are a lot of U.S. military bases in Germany.  I queried more than 1,300 sellers on ebay to ask “Does your issue of Superman or Batman XYZ have the 4-page Mark Jewelers advertising insert?  If yes, I will bid or buy it right away.”   This question led me to the ebay seller who unknowingly had the last Mark Jeweler variant I need to complete the Superman run (namely, Superman 292).

Here's the crazier part: I’ve bought several duplicates over the years because I wanted to get every jeweler variant in FN or better condition.  I’ve done that except for all the titles I collect except for one issue (my Superman 291 jeweler variant is in vg- condition).  Probably 90 percent or more of my jeweler variants are in VF or better.

For your viewing pleasure below are the first and last Mark Jewelers in the run of Superman (namely 255 and 420).   The SM 255 is NM and the 420 is VF+.   It is amazing to me that they can be in this condition because they had to travel overseas, sit on a newsstand rack in a military PX, and then make it all the way back to the U.S.   If I had to guess, something kept the SM 255 from making that normal journey because it is in flawless condition.

Here is Superman 255 (note the "rstuvwx" code in the lower right hand corner of the jeweler insert when it is opened at the centerfold... I believe this was the first type of insert used in DC Comics... some of the DC comic books that were cover dated August 1972 but released later in that same month only had an "rst" code on the lower right hand corner of the insert (an example of that would be Action Comics 415)):

And here is Superman 420:

AMAZING!  CONGRATS, KIRK!!!!

Group pic or it didn't happen.  :baiting:lol