• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mark Jewelers inserts...
19 19

1,027 posts in this topic

On 1/14/2023 at 3:39 PM, scburdet said:

dumb question, are all the inserts in the same issue the same? It takes about 30 seconds to find a New Mutants 98 with a MJs that doesn't match this one. I don't know if/how much the inserts vary.

In rare occasions, some DC comics have had two variations of the inserts.   Examples: Batman 364 (one insert has the 88 code in lower right hand corner of the centerfold, the other an 888 code).  Detective 449 and Superman 289 (both comics from the same month; one insert has code 777 and another insert has 888 code).  Superman 312 (one insert has the 1 code, and other has 111 code on it).  It appears that sometimes there were leftover inserts from a previous month, and they used them until they ran out.  

Edited by Cpt Kirk

On 1/14/2023 at 5:24 PM, Cpt Kirk said:

In rare occasions, some DC comics have had two variations of the inserts.   Examples: Batman 364 (one insert has the 88 code in lower right hand corner of the centerfold, the other an 888 code).  Detective 449 and Superman 289 (one insert has code 777 and another insert has 888 code).  Superman 312 (one insert has the 1 code, and other has 111 code on it).  It appears that sometimes there were leftover inserts from a previous month, and they used them until they ran out.  

p.s.  If a comic book has a different insert than what is expected, then one should look closer to see if the jeweler insert was just married into the comic book like the examples shown on the previous page of this thread.   For DC comic books, I created a list of the expected insert for each month in the following post.  In my opinion, a comic book with a married insert has no extra value (and perhaps less value).

On 1/15/2023 at 4:52 AM, Cpt Kirk said:

p.s.  If a comic book has a different insert than what is expected, then one should look closer to see if the jeweler insert was just married into the comic book like the examples shown on the previous page of this thread.   For DC comic books, I created a list of the expected insert for each month in the following post.  In my opinion, a comic book with a married insert has no extra value (and perhaps less value).

The more the value increases for insert copies, the more likely unsavory scoundrels scoundrel.gif.f1f0f45e1909f2118b6167f83107baf6.gif will marry the inserts in.

Good thing married inserts are pretty easy to spot(extra staple holes, misaligned trimming). 

On 1/15/2023 at 5:10 PM, trademarkcomics said:

The more the value increases for insert copies, the more likely unsavory scoundrels scoundrel.gif.f1f0f45e1909f2118b6167f83107baf6.gif will marry the inserts in.

Good thing married inserts are pretty easy to spot(extra staple holes, misaligned trimming). 

Great point.   It is pretty much impossible to marry one.  Back when I first started collecting these jeweler variants, I had a jeweler variant that was pretty beat up.  I thought I could remove the jeweler insert from the beat up copy and put it into a nicer copy of the same comic book (with no intent to sell it).  It was not possible to get a proper alignment.   The jeweler variants seemed to be made on a different print run (thus explaining the different staple placement that was pointed out earlier in this thread).  Come to think of it, I have 800 jeweler inserts among the titles of Batman, Superman, Detective Comics, Action Comics and Justice League of America.  I made a point to have high grade copies of the all the regular newsstand versions. the direct sales versions, and the jeweler variants.  I could line them up and examine whether or not staple placement is different among these three different versions.  I may do that soon, and I will report the results.  I'm sure at least 8 or 9 people on this planet will care to know.... :tonofbricks:

Edited by Cpt Kirk

On 1/15/2023 at 6:04 PM, Cpt Kirk said:

Great point.   It is pretty much impossible to marry one.  Back when I first started collecting these jeweler variants, I had a jeweler variant that was pretty beat up.  I thought I could remove the jeweler insert from the beat up copy and put it into a nicer copy of the same comic book (with no intent to sell it).  It was not possible to get a proper alignment.   The jeweler variants seemed to be made on a different print run (thus explaining the different staple placement that was pointed out earlier in this thread).  Come to think of it, I have 800 jeweler inserts among the titles of Batman, Superman, Detective Comics, Action Comics and Justice League of America.  I made a point to have high grade copies of the all the regular newsstand versions. the direct sales versions, and the jeweler variants.  I could line them up and examine whether or not staple placement is different among these three different versions.  I may do that soon, and I will report the results.  I'm sure at least 8 or 9 people on this planet will care to know.... :tonofbricks:

"Supposing is good. But finding out is better." -Mark Twain :idea:

On 1/15/2023 at 10:09 PM, trademarkcomics said:

"Supposing is good. But finding out is better." -Mark Twain :idea:

OK.  So I look at a sample of approximately 10 Superman and 10 Action Comics from 1981.   Staples on Direct and Newstand were all close to being in the same spot as each other.   Most of the jeweler staples (but not all) were about 1/4 inch to 1/2  inch in a different spot (top staples were higher).   When I get time, I will pull some more samples and show some photos.  So the staple difference is a thing for sure. 

On 1/18/2023 at 7:27 AM, Cpt Kirk said:

OK.  So I look at a sample of approximately 10 Superman and 10 Action Comics from 1981.   Staples on Direct and Newstand were all close to being in the same spot as each other.   Most of the jeweler staples (but not all) were about 1/4 inch to 1/2  inch in a different spot (top staples were higher).   When I get time, I will pull some more samples and show some photos.  So the staple difference is a thing for sure. 

There is a very informative discussion on the staple topic starting on page 29 of this thread. The SME appears to be @trademarkcomics .   I have found myself paying close attention to staple placement ever since! 

On 1/18/2023 at 5:24 AM, icp004 said:

There is a very informative discussion on the staple topic starting on page 29 of this thread. The SME appears to be @trademarkcomics .   I have found myself paying close attention to staple placement ever since! 

Glad to have been of help. My wife is still kicking me in the shins over it. But, what I would love to happen is for this to become so much of a standard that just staple placement will prove a book is an authentic insert copy and you won't need to have the book slabbed for ultimate proof(sorry, CGC).

On 1/19/2023 at 4:49 AM, ganni said:

MJIs are not bendable, right?

Screenshot_20230119-183534.jpg.e5f08a51871280bcc8d5515f34c84345.jpg

They're made out of cardboard not steel, so yes they could bend like that, (thumbsu edit to say, cardboard like paper, it should be harder to bend than a regular comic, but not nearly as hard as you make it sound lol  some in the copper era are even more like glossy paper than cardboard....

Why do you ask?

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 1/19/2023 at 2:49 AM, ganni said:

MJIs are not bendable, right?

Screenshot_20230119-183534.jpg.e5f08a51871280bcc8d5515f34c84345.jpg

I love ads where the seller holds the comic book and you can see the spine creases they are making as they are bending it. 

Or better yet they get their butter-faced girlfriend to hold it to get more clicks. :nyah:

hotgranma.jpg.a71cd7de861938b99f9de41bca417914.jpg

Edited by trademarkcomics
Picture edit

On 1/19/2023 at 10:42 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

They're made out of cardboard not steel, so yes they could bend like that, (thumbsu edit to say, cardboard like paper, it should be harder to bend than a regular comic, but not nearly as hard as you make it sound lol  some in the copper era are even more like glossy paper than cardboard....

Why do you ask?

Seller send me this photo and did not mention of a MJ insert.  Spine thicks are multiplying in this photo!:nyah:

On 5/18/2011 at 11:38 AM, the blob said:

Anyway, I think they're a lot more common in areas with a lot of military. For example, I rarely see them up in NYC (where we don't have too many military bases) and you'd think that by now comics should be spread all over the country (especially because at shows I'm buying from a lot of NJ dealers who are closer to bases), but honestly, I probably own 10-15,000 BA books and maybe 25 of them are the MJ inserts.

Same here. I don't have as many comics as you (about 6,000) but I target variants exclusively. Regardless, I only have about 5 MJI comics.

On 3/30/2022 at 11:52 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Indeed. Another handy tool when looking on eBay, along with the star stamps and the top edge blue centre line. MJI collectors will understand :grin:

I wonder when spotting a MJ candidate based on staple placement or star stamp,  what the odds are the insert was removed? 🤔   Maybe most stayed intact.  It’s not like anyone actually bought the jewelry or needed to rip them out to get a cool tattoo. (shrug)

On 1/21/2023 at 4:07 PM, paqart said:

Same here. I don't have as many comics as you (about 6,000) but I target variants exclusively. Regardless, I only have about 5 MJI comics.

I have observed the same thing.  When I'm closer to military bases I see more of them.   Especially in the south, where most of the big bases are located.

On 1/28/2023 at 2:58 AM, Cpt Kirk said:

I have observed the same thing.  When I'm closer to military bases I see more of them.   Especially in the south, where most of the big bases are located.

I think so too. I have never actively pursued the inserts but remember seeing them in runs I built as a kid (so much of which is gone now). Those halcyon days of collecting were in Las Cruces, NM with Ft. Bliss 40 miles to the south and White Sands Missile Range and Holloman Air Force Base 40 miles east. 

Edited by grendelbo