• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mark Jewelers inserts...
19 19

1,027 posts in this topic

Is it easy for the unscrupulous to simply remove a MJ insert and put it into a more sought after title?

That probably wouldn't be that difficult to do although they would have to ensure the new book was one of those originally released with a Mark Jewelers insert.

probably just as "difficult" as marrying a cover or other wrap -

But they also only had specific inserts in specific books as well.

http://www.awe4one.com/index1.html

has lists of what was used at what time -

Now - most people may not even notice it - but the ones that specifically collect these variants (which would be the ones who would pay a premium) would probably question something about clubbers book - supposedly the marks inserts were not being used during the production run of the IM55s.

They were in place 11-12 1972 briefly - but not in full production until July 73.

Now - does not mean his copy is hokey. Cold be a couple different things going on - could be an error in the CGC label (could be a ND insert, just mis marked) - could also be one of the nov/dec 72 inserts being used for whatever reason - maybe the found a sheet or 2 at the production facility to use up. But for me it would raise that question before shelling out the significant $$$ for the book.

If an early insert - would be easy to identify - as they had codes identifying them printed on the inserts themselves. Obviously - would have to crack the slab to see this - but once you are in the IM 55 hi grade double cover/insert variant mode - the price would be high enough for me to want to open up and verify then resubmit (if I really wanted the book slabbed long term).

I was wondering the same thing when I saw that. Every data source I have ever seen states that the NDS was the only insert used at that time and pre-dates MJ inserts by a year and a half.

I think the most likely explanation is that CGC has mis-labeled NDS inserts as MJ inserts on that IM 55 and the ASM 100 that the other boardie posted.

-J.

Is it easy for the unscrupulous to simply remove a MJ insert and put it into a more sought after title?

If the book were to be graded, CGC would be able to catch that quite easily. (thumbs u

-J.

-- especially since it would really only be worth it for a high value key - and I would imagine that they are put under the restoration microscope more than a fast track modern...

I was wondering the same thing when I saw that. Every data source I have ever seen states that the NDS was the only insert used at that time and pre-dates MJ inserts by a year and a half.

I think the most likely explanation is that CGC has mis-labeled NDS inserts as MJ inserts on that IM 55 and the ASM 100 that the other boardie posted.

-J.

I would bet it is a mis-label as well. The IM was shipped after they had used the Marks Inserts (only for a 2 month spell) - so somewhat feasible (some have posted double covers with covers from a different book - so an error around those lines).

The ASM - was before the MJ inserts were ever produced. Might even be one of the first books ever made with any of the armed forces inserts. The 15c cover price books had the most limited run with the inserts.

-J.

Hopefully, those boardies looked at the inserts before submission and can tell us one way or the other. :wishluck:

-J.

Hopefully, those boardies looked at the inserts before submission and can tell us one way or the other. :wishluck:

:sorry: No sorry can't tell you as I bought the book already graded and I don't want to break it out.

-J.

:sorry: No sorry can't tell you as I bought the book already graded and I don't want to break it out.

Well, I have had an ASM 100 with an insert and it was the National Diamond Jewelers insert. No way they had both.

I think both are CGC errors.

-J.

Well, I have had an ASM 100 with an insert and it was the National Diamond Jewelers insert. No way they had both.

I think both are CGC errors.

That would be frustrating. They can be sent into CGC for a re-holder and label correction. That is something they would not charge for since it's a QC issue. (And the books would not be re-graded.)

-J.

http://www.awe4one.com/NDS-MJ%20Inserts/Insert%20webpage.html

I was looking on this site to see if I could find one of the earlier books with a MJ inserts and I ended up finding a Captain America #137 today at the lcs (with a sweet Spider-Man cover) , It is listed as unconfirmed on that site but it hasn't been updated in years...... Anyway it got me thinking is it known what the first MJ insert ever is and is there any significant value because of it?

http://www.awe4one.com/NDS-MJ%20Inserts/Insert%20webpage.html

I was looking on this site to see if I could find one of the earlier books with a MJ inserts and I ended up finding a Captain America #137 today at the lcs (with a sweet Spider-Man cover) , It is listed as unconfirmed on that site but it hasn't been updated in years...... Anyway it got me thinking is it known what the first MJ insert ever is and is there any significant value because of it?

I don't think the first book with a MJ insert would be any different.

The last books with the inserts, now that is something entirely different. Seeing as how the last books were filled with left over inserts many last issue copies have just a fraction of the estimated 5% normal insert ratio.

Edited by Silverdream

Been looking at completing my iron fist marvel premiere run especially since my #15 came back a 9.4 and spotted this marvel premiere #23 tonight on eBay for less than £10.....never knew the inserts were in these. Anyone else ever seen one?

33mtudv.jpg

4uxfa0.jpg

316q147.jpg

Every now and again I would find these at a flea market back in my youth.

I remember ripping out all the inserts.

Hated those things.

Threw away the Tatooz from my ASM #238 right away too.

doh!

-J.

live and learn :tonofbricks: