• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mark Jewelers inserts...
19 19

1,027 posts in this topic

Allow me to get out in from of this before some misinformation becomes internet fact. I have owned thousands of ND/MJIs and done a bunch of research.

That's good to know, thanks J. (thumbs u I did just noticed one of my comics has a Blue Star stamp on the top right hand corner next to the price. And I checked inside to see If I scored a MJ insert ! but no there was nothing :( that's why I asked. The comic was Daredevil #138 & I know there's lots of MJ inserts on those books. I had a comic few years ago with a MJ insert in it, but the order coupon was cut out. I must of throw it out doh! would CGC give me a hard time stating that's incomplete ?

Yes that one would definitely get a green label. :sorry:

-J.

Incorrect. There is no way to know if a book came with a ND/MJI. Having a star doesn't mean it had an insert. I've seen it be about 50/50. However, if I see a star I will give the book the once-over for an insert.

I would say that, literally, yes you are correct and I agree with you for the most part. However I have to say for me personally, if I ever came across a book with a star stamp on the cover for example, and from the appropriate time period, but with no insert I would likely decline to purchase that book, knowing what I know.

-J.

So you're saying all star-stamped books have inserts, but not all insert books have star stamps? hm

lol No to the first half, and yes to the second.

But I personally would still take a pause if I was looking at an early/mid 70's book (in particular) with a star stamp but no insert.

-J.

There is no direct correlation.

Well yes, 5% or less of certain books were printed with the inserts,

-J.

Do you have a source for this information? It would be good to file this away for reference.

I don't think anyone has a definitive source. It's generally believed the MJI's were only in copies distributed through overseas (and possibly stateside) military bases. 5% doesn't seem out of line. So total the number of military base retailers and compare that number to total published copies (returnable or not) and that's where the 5% comes from. 10% seems way too high. Maybe it's 7%? Until Mark Jewelers chimes in I doubt we'll ever have an accurate figure on any numbers.

I would say that, literally, yes you are correct and I agree with you for the most part. However I have to say for me personally, if I ever came across a book with a star stamp on the cover for example, and from the appropriate time period, but with no insert I would likely decline to purchase that book, knowing what I know.

-J.

So you're saying all star-stamped books have inserts, but not all insert books have star stamps? hm

Star stamped books only came from a few overseas AAFES stores, so not every insert book will carry a star stamp.

You are correct about this.

I'll also add that my research has suggested that the inserts only came in "newsstand" editions, so no direct market copies will have them, thus narrowing the percentages further.

I feel very comfortable with and stand by the 5% estimate as that seems to be the consensus amongst those who have *really* tracked these things.

-J.

5% is the number batted around and it seems reasonable but I have never seen anything to back it up.

MJIs only exist in books that appeared on the newsstand. I know of no legitimate example of a direct market MJI. Early on it was thought that they only appeared in books distributed from oversea. That has since been anecdotally disproven. I bought a collection with over 800 ND/MJIs that were purchased at Ft. Brag in the '70s. Another boardie (Shadrock?) said he bought his when he was stationed in updata NY.

-J.

Do you have a source for this information? It would be good to file this away for reference.

I don't think anyone has a definitive source. It's generally believed the MJI's were only in copies distributed through overseas (and possibly stateside) military bases. 5% doesn't seem out of line. So total the number of military base retailers and compare that number to total published copies (returnable or not) and that's where the 5% comes from. 10% seems way too high. Maybe it's 7%? Until Mark Jewelers chimes in I doubt we'll ever have an accurate figure on any numbers.

-J.

Star stamped books only came from a few overseas AAFES stores, so not every insert book will carry a star stamp.

I'll also add that my research has suggested that the inserts only came in "newsstand" editions, so no direct market copies will have them, thus narrowing the percentages further.

I feel very comfortable with and stand by the 5% estimate as that seems to be the consensus amongst those who have *really* tracked these things.

-J.

Soooo...you don't have any actual source for your figure, it's just a guess, educated or otherwise?

Who are those people who have *really* tracked these things?

Allow me to get out in from of this before some misinformation becomes internet fact. I have owned thousands of ND/MJIs and done a bunch of research.

That's good to know, thanks J. (thumbs u I did just noticed one of my comics has a Blue Star stamp on the top right hand corner next to the price. And I checked inside to see If I scored a MJ insert ! but no there was nothing :( that's why I asked. The comic was Daredevil #138 & I know there's lots of MJ inserts on those books. I had a comic few years ago with a MJ insert in it, but the order coupon was cut out. I must of throw it out doh! would CGC give me a hard time stating that's incomplete ?

-J.

Incorrect. There is no way to know if a book came with a ND/MJI. Having a star doesn't mean it had an insert. I've seen it be about 50/50. However, if I see a star I will give the book the once-over for an insert.

-J.

But I personally would still take a pause if I was looking at an early/mid 70's book (in particular) with a star stamp but no insert.

-J.

-J.

-J.

-J.

5% is the number batted around and it seems reasonable but I have never seen anything to back it up.

MJIs only exist in books that appeared on the newsstand. I know of no legitimate example of a direct market MJI. Early on it was thought that they only appeared in books distributed from oversea. That has since been anecdotally disproven. I bought a collection with over 800 ND/MJIs that were purchased at Ft. Brag in the '70s. Another boardie (Shadrock?) said he bought his when he was stationed in updata NY.

Excellent.

-J.

-J.

-J.

-J.

-J.

-J.

Excellent.

So you disagree with it and/or question it when I say it, yet when somebody else comes in and basically says the same thing you say "excellent". lol

Interesting.

-J.

-J.

-J.

-J.

-J.

-J.

-J.

Excellent.

So you disagree with it and/or question it when I say it, yet when somebody else comes in and basically says the same thing you say "excellent". lol

Interesting.

-J.

Which part?

(For the record, 5% seems inordinately high. 5% of the newsstand books I own are not ND/MJ, and I have a cross-section of these books gathered all over the place for the past 25 years.)
We'd have to determine the total amount of a print run that was distributed through Stars & Stripes and AAFES stores, so that number never seemed entirely out of line. That would only be 10,000 copies of a 200,000 print run for example. That less than 5% of your books have inserts might be more a result of your geography than anything else. If you lived near Fort Hood, Fort Bragg, or a large base in Germany I'd suspect you'd see a percentage greater than 5% of books that had inserts.

(For the record, 5% seems inordinately high. 5% of the newsstand books I own are not ND/MJ, and I have a cross-section of these books gathered all over the place for the past 25 years.)
We'd have to determine the total amount of a print run that was distributed through Stars & Stripes and AAFES stores, so that number never seemed entirely out of line. That would only be 10,000 copies of a 200,000 print run for example. That less than 5% of your books have inserts might be more a result of your geography than anything else. If you lived near Fort Hood, Fort Bragg, or a large base in Germany I'd suspect you'd see a percentage greater than 5% of books that had inserts.

It would be 5% of the newsstand editions, which would represent an even smaller percentage of the overall print run. Though RMA has indicated that he believes even that number to be high (which I may also agree with).

-J.

Based on this site base census the number of bases overseas ranged from 1014--794 from 1967 to 1988 with the number of bases decreasing (these figures do not include US bases)

Lets assume all of these had a Stars and Stripes, BX, or some other store to buy periodicals. Now what was the typical newstand number of books ordered for each location? say 15-20 copies each

You are looking at approx.10-20k books with MJ inserts. Its a pretty impressive amount.

That's a reasonable guess, but my books have come from every area of the country.

Granted, those are anecdotal numbers, but....when you consider that roughly 1.5% of the total US population served in the military during the Vietnam era (and drastically fell off with the end of the draft in 1973), it seems odd that they would print 4-10 times that amount, as a percentage of total copies printed, for distribution to military bases.

(Source: http://www.prb.org/source/acf1396.pdf Page 5, figure 1)

As well....during this time period, 200,000 was a very low amount of copies printed. Hulk, for example, had a print run of about 375,000 copies, with around 200,000 sold on average, during 1974.

5% of the total print run doesn't seem reasonable, against a group that only represented .5-1.5% of the total US population. That would make around 20,000 copies of Hulk #187, for example.

It would be 5% of the newsstand editions, which would represent an even smaller percentage of the overall print run. Though RMA has indicated that he believes even that number to be high (which I may also agree with).

-J.

I realize we're only talking about newsstand books. I'm trying to imagine the distribution of the insert books just through AAFES channels.

-J.

In 1971, 72, 73, the Direct market didn't exist. All there were in existence were newsstand editions. All the way up until late 1976, when Marvel finally began fiddling with variations for the Direct market, which was absolutely fledgling, there's still only newsstand editions.

Even when you consider the changing market dynamics of the 80's, it's hard to imagine that 5% of even the falling newsstand market would have had MJIs.

That's a reasonable guess, but my books have come from every area of the country.

Granted, those are anecdotal numbers, but....when you consider that roughly 1.5% of the total US population served in the military during the Vietnam era (and drastically fell off with the end of the draft in 1973), it seems odd that they would print 4-10 times that amount, as a percentage of total copies printed, for distribution to military bases.

As well....during this time period, 200,000 was a very low amount of copies printed. Hulk, for example, had a print run of about 375,000 copies, with around 200,000 sold on average, during 1974.

5% of the total print run doesn't seem reasonable, against a group that only represented .5-1.5% of the total US population. That would make around 20,000 copies of Hulk #187, for example.

For total numbers of potential customers at an exchange store you would also need to include eligible family members and retirees, and DoD employed civilians.

Also there can be other Identifying marks besides stars on MJ inserts. Sorry for the crummy picture. These all have MJ inserts bought by me in Germany. Another example of no star and then here are several with a circle and a number. The numbers change. as seen in the pic.

IMG_0742_zpsed084qfv.jpg

For total numbers of potential customers at an exchange store you would also need to include eligible family members and retirees, and DoD employed civilians.

True, but take a guess....how much does that increase the number? Does it double it? Triple it? And would all of those people be likely comic book purchasers?

Also there can be other Identifying marks besides stars on MJ inserts. Sorry for the crummy picture. These all have MJ inserts bought by me in Germany. Another example of no star and then here are several with a circle and a number. The numbers change. as seen in the pic.

IMG_0742_zpsed084qfv.jpg

I've never seen the numbers with the circles. That's actually super cool.

So that's what the BX stamped when you bought them, right ? Proof of purchase as it were.

RMA, yes I know DM wasn't around in the early 70's, but the MJ inserts were around until the early '90's if I recall correctly.

-J.

True, but take a guess....how much does that increase the number? Does it double it? Triple it? And would all of those people be likely comic book purchasers?

Obviously not every service member is married or has children, but I'd think once you add in spouses, children, and retired veterans that utilize the exchanges that the number triples. Adding more children would add more potential comic book purchasers to the equation beyond adding an adult spouse or retiree I'd think.

One thing to remember about comics and the military. GIs had weight restriction when they moved. We use to see comics at "yard sales" all the time when a GI was transferred. We also found a ton of stuff in the trash as a result of the restrictions. There may have been a larger number than you might expect out there initially, but the survival rate was probably very low.

One thing to remember about comics and the military. GIs had weight restriction when they moved. We use to see comics at "yard sales" all the time when a GI was transferred. We also found a ton of stuff in the trash as a result of the restrictions. There may have been a larger number than you might expect out there initially, but the survival rate was probably very low.

Brian:

Thanks for the pictures. I have been pulling Mark Jeweler inserts out of my "unloved" boxes and some have stars and some don't. Close to 50 comics, all from the 70s and 80s with Mark Jewelers inserts. Most of these were books we picked up at the many, many yard sales we use to go to as kids.

And I forgot all about the other stamps that were used. I'm guessing my Star Wars will have the same markings since we got them together. ;) It's been a long time since I've been in those comic boxes.

Just for the boards information, Brian is my brother and we both have/had an extensive amount of Mark Jeweler books from our time in Germany.