• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Batman 227 the "key" Neal Adams Batman book to have?
4 4

2,411 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

I saw a 9.4 on a dealer site yesterday for $3,000. Ok. After this sale, I see it's been bumped to $4,500. Hmmmm.

So, the way I see it, someone WAY overpaid for 1 9.8 and now that sale is going to drive pricing for all other grades? There's a 9.8 on Metro for $9k. I wonder if they'll bump that one to $30k?

Edit: I don't frackin' believe it. That's EXACTLY what they did! I just looked. Absolute greed.

I agree it sucks lol

But your post had to have been edited 3 times, cause that was like living in your moment :shy:

:tink:

47 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

I saw a 9.4 on a dealer site yesterday for $3,000. Ok. After this sale, I see it's been bumped to $4,500. Hmmmm.

So, the way I see it, someone WAY overpaid for 1 9.8 and now that sale is going to drive pricing for all other grades? There's a 9.8 on Metro for $9k. I wonder if they'll bump that one to $30k?

Edit: I don't frackin' believe it. That's EXACTLY what they did! I just looked. Absolute greed.

all dealers operate on the basis of last best price acheived. if metro didnt pay attention enough to notice the results of this latest auction, they would be negligent. though the idea that the all-time highest price paid always dictates a new market price is often wrong, i dont fault dealers for trying. and i'm not saying theres not plenty of greed either. but raising prices when the market appears to have moved up is a no-brainer. 

54 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

all dealers operate on the basis of last best price acheived. if metro didnt pay attention enough to notice the results of this latest auction, they would be negligent. though the idea that the all-time highest price paid always dictates a new market price is often wrong, i dont fault dealers for trying. and i'm not saying theres not plenty of greed either. but raising prices when the market appears to have moved up is a no-brainer. 

Well, sure. I thought the Pennyworth got the big money in large part because it is a pedigree. What makes Metro's suddenly worth the same price? Because it's a 9.8? Ah, well. They couldn't get the $9k they wanted. High bid was around $7k. They don't accept bids, so I suppose the book will continue sitting.

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I agree it sucks lol

But your post had to have been edited 3 times, cause that was like living in your moment :shy:

:tink:

Just the one edit. I thought may as well see if Metro moved the price, went over and it was exactly $30k. Weird. Good luck selling it at that price. It didn't move at $9k. The HA 227 was from the Pennyworth collection. Someone went nuts and bought it for $30k.

I guess that it follows all of us who own a 227 just got a value bump. Right? Meet my $5,000 8.0! Just got it a few weeks ago! Anyone wanna buy it? LOL!

Bat 227 8.0 Front.jpg

Edited by Randall Ries

10 hours ago, Randall Ries said:

Just the one edit. I thought may as well see if Metro moved the price, went over and it was exactly $30k. Weird. Good luck selling it at that price. It didn't move at $9k. The HA 227 was from the Pennyworth collection. Someone went nuts and bought it for $30k.

I guess that it follows all of us who own a 227 just got a value bump. Right? Meet my $5,000 8.0! Just got it a few weeks ago! Anyone wanna buy it? LOL!

Bat 227 8.0 Front.jpg

Ya I too have a 7.5 that I spent $475 on, as I was buying books before ebay tax kicked in so there is that. Still it should be remembered that some person paid $30,000 lol

That person is probably hoping to file an insurance mail claim or something eek just saying it could be worse ☺️

9.8 is the top grade for this book I would assume and it's probably not going to happen at 20k  

It's a chute alright I just hope for his sake it's a parachute lol

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 8/30/2022 at 5:43 PM, Brian48 said:

Trying to gauge this post-pandemic market.  Has anyone seen any high grade (9.0+) sales of this book in the last year?  Supply seems to have dried up for awhile. 

Been a long time since I thought about it, but wasn't it always rarer for sale in high grade. I remember when I bought mine I waited for a while, a 7.5 is what I got, but above that was super scarce. Not saying it is presumed, but if it became more common at least for sale is :news: to me lol

That said I did look at it recently to compare, and I haven't noticed it being different but if none come to market that sucks.

The batman Neal Adam's issues always run up and fall, and again and again.

I'm hoping people don't forget about them, given Neal's passing, it needs to stick or work itself out in that regard. Staying hopeful 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On eBay only 1 9.0 or higher has sold in 3 months, which is about what I remember when I was searching to buy.

Sorry to go on and on, but something I DID pay attention to when shopping pre pandemic, doesn't look much different but idk

On 1/15/2021 at 7:45 PM, Randall Ries said:

Well, sure. I thought the Pennyworth got the big money in large part because it is a pedigree. What makes Metro's suddenly worth the same price? Because it's a 9.8? Ah, well. They couldn't get the $9k they wanted. High bid was around $7k. They don't accept bids, so I suppose the book will continue sitting.

On 9/8/2022 at 3:04 PM, nearmint said:

A 9.8 sold at Heritage today for $42,000.

Well, since the Oakland copy sold for some $33,600 a few short months after the $31,200 Pennyworth sale, and now a non-pedigree has sold for $42K, does that mean Metro's 9.8 copy which they couldn't hawk to anybody at a mere $9K has now moved up to $40K?  :bigsmile:

On 9/29/2022 at 11:32 AM, lou_fine said:

Well, since the Oakland copy sold for some $33,600 a few short months after the $31,200 Pennyworth sale, and now a non-pedigree has sold for $42K, does that mean Metro's 9.8 copy which they couldn't hawk to anybody at a mere $9K has now moved up to $40K?  :bigsmile:

Was it up for sale at 9k before going to auction and selling for 42k on their auction site?

On 7/18/2017 at 9:33 AM, scooter99 said:

On average, that's only 1 copy per year since I got back into the hobby.  I think I'll stop once I get to 10.    I have to admit, having a shortbox full would be nice, too.  

I had seven, but the price got out of hand. It's a mediocre story with a great cover, but I had no problem selling them for ridiculous money. I might have one slabbed copy left.

On 10/2/2022 at 8:26 AM, bronze johnny said:
On 9/29/2022 at 8:32 AM, lou_fine said:

Was it up for sale at 9k before going to auction and selling for 42k on their auction site?

Well, now you made me go back and do some real work by taking a look at prior sales from the HA and CC archives.  :bigsmile:

It should be pointed out that the Pennyworth copy for $31,200; the Oakland copy for $31,200; and the non pedigree 9.8 copy that was auctioned off a few Sundays ago for $42K was all done through Heritage.  (thumbsu

The Metro/CC 9.8 graded copy that was apparently listed for $9K with no takers was probably due to the fact that 9.8 copies were selling only in the $5K to $6K range or thereabouts for most of the past decade.  From another thread I was reading or maybe this one here earlier from another boardie, it was noted that Metro bumped their price up into the $30K's after the Pennyworth auction last year even though they couldn't sell it for $9K.  From checking their CC archives, I would assume it would be this copy here that sold (i.e. NOT auction) for $35K back on April 10th of this year:  :gossip:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/871157

bat1.18740.jpg

Like I had said in my prior post, for that kind of money, I would be much more interested in the original (i.e. 'Tec 31), as opposed to this homage cover.  hm  

On 5/4/2011 at 9:04 PM, sgt_jarhead_99-migration said:

I know, probably a dumb question, but I'm new at this. Is this considered the premier Batman issue of the BA? I'm asking in terms of possible upward movement and holding long term value. Been thinking of investing on some HG Batmans from the O'Neil/Adams run from that era and this one seems to be the most popular (and expensive) even though the story itself appears crappy and Adams (as cool as it is) only did the darn cover. Thanks for all opinions.

its one of the big keys.

black cover is hard to find in nice shape. and of course the iconic cover