• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Batman 227 the "key" Neal Adams Batman book to have?
4 4

2,411 posts in this topic

I used to have a picture of my Bat 227 side by side with my Tec 31.. I dunno where it is :( It was a sweet shot!

Send me your Tec 31 and I'll retake the shot for you. :insane:

I gotta think about that one hm

I only collect books with Adams interior art, so I don't really think of Batman 227 as much of a key, although I agree that it has a brilliant cover. It simply isn't something I'm that bothered about owning.

I'll be perfectly happy if I eventually manage to acquire the following books in high grade presentation...

Detective Comics 395, 400, 402

Batman 232, 244, 251

It's undoubtedly a book to have. I just focused on my personal top 3 keys from Adams' work on Detective Comics and Batman.

Those first, 234 at a later date, maybe? :):wishluck:

I only collect books with Adams interior art, so I don't really think of Batman 227 as much of a key, although I agree that it has a brilliant cover. It simply isn't something I'm that bothered about owning.

I'll be perfectly happy if I eventually manage to acquire the following books in high grade presentation...

Batman 232, 244, 251

I love this book,thank God the stars aligned just right and Gav had this book from the Nik pedigree.

Batman244.jpg

IMO, the 232 is probably the best bet for future monetary gain. But all of these books in high grade are already very high, so it is a gamble with any of them, lon term. Short term, I believe is a better gamble. Which I know, goes against standard belief. The Bats 227 is a close second though, IMO.

Anyway, here are a few of my books. Not as high grade as I would like (duh), but they are welcome addtitions in my collection. My next addition Neal Adams addition will most likely be a Batman 232.

batman227cgcfront001.jpg

The raw copy was scanned in the mylar bag.

batman227rawfront001.jpg

det400cgcfront001.jpg

batman251cgcssfront001.jpg

Your 227 is nice, looks higher than a 9.0 to me. The centering is outstanding too. I'd like to snag a Tec 400 soon. Have about 10 other books on my want list to get filled first.

I like the 232 and think it will be a good long term book, I just like so many other covers better.

I remember when 234 used to be worth more than 232. Now 232 has taken over and you don't really see or 234 very often now, or at least it seems that way. I wonder if two face comes out in a movie soon if it will revive that book some?

Edited by Twistty1

I remember when 234 used to be worth more than 232. Now 232 has taken over and you don't really see or 234 very often now, or at least it seems that way. I wonder if two face comes out in a movie soon if it will revive that book some?

Ummmm... two face was just in the last movie and that did nothing for the book. 232 is by far the easiest of these to find in high grade so even though it is probably the biggest key I think it has the least potential for upward movement.

Great Adams Batman books guys. (thumbs u I still need a 227. :eek:

On topic, 227 is right there with 232,234,244,251. All five are must-haves in my book. (thumbs u

And I only have two of them. :eek:

#232 are easier to find then #227, even though I feel the #232 is the better cover (gotta love that green).

Then you probably like Detective Comics #412 a lot also. I haven't seen anyone mention it as a contender here. Is it because it is too plentiful, or because nothing big happens in it? I don't think anything big happens in Batman #227, yet it is a huge contender in connection with the theme (question) of this thread.

I guess it is because of the homage cover and Tec 412 is just a good cover.

det412front001.jpg

Edited by conditionfreak

Batman 232, 244, 251

I love this book,thank God the stars aligned just right and Gav had this book from the Nik pedigree.

Batman244.jpg

Man, I picked up Batman Odyssey #1-3 today without knowing anything about it. All I can say is, I can't look at the cover to Batman 244 the same ever again.

Ummmm... two face was just in the last movie and that did nothing for the book. 232 is by far the easiest of these to find in high grade so even though it is probably the biggest key I think it has the least potential for upward movement.

Ummmm.... my apologies, I didn't really remember Two Face in a large part of that movie, I mainly remember seeing Harvey Dent, sorry.

Still 234 is a better cover in my opinion. I agree it is the colour that detracts from 232 for me.

234's cover is very cool, far superior to the 232 IMO. I think it is the color scheme that I have a problem with on the 232.
+1

I'll definitely get 232, featuring the key first appearance of one of my all-time favourite characters.

Pity that the intense green makes it really difficult for me to look at and appreciate the cover. (shrug)

#232 are easier to find then #227, even though I feel the #232 is the better cover (gotta love that green).

Then you probably like Detective Comics #412 a lot also. I haven't seen anyone mention it as a contender here. Is it because it is too plentiful, or because nothing big happens in it? I don't think anything big happens in Batman #227, yet it is a huge contender in connection with the theme (question) of this thread.

I guess it is because of the homage cover and Tec 412 is just a good cover.

det412front001.jpg

I love the cover for 412 as well. The greens actually work on that one for me. Here's my copy I bought awhile back.

cgcDetectiveComics412.jpg