• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Batman 227 the "key" Neal Adams Batman book to have?
4 4

2,411 posts in this topic

My vote's still for Detective 395 in terms of unrealized potential. Great story, and (I believe) first interior Adams--it's the Batman version of GL 76 or Superman 232.

And as the recent 9.6 Heritage sale shows, rare (and expensive) in high grade.

I only collect books with Adams interior art, so I don't really think of Batman 227 as much of a key, although I agree that it has a brilliant cover. It simply isn't something I'm that bothered about owning.

I'll be perfectly happy if I eventually manage to acquire the following books in high grade presentation...

Detective Comics 395, 400, 402

Batman 232, 244, 251

I love this book,thank God the stars aligned just right and Gav had this book from the Nik pedigree.

Batman244.jpg

I still miss that book, it's a beauty. I remember looking at it and wondering why it was only a 9.0, I couldn't see anything major through the slab.

Still, landed this a couple of weeks ago thanks to Buried_Alien. It works for me.

Batman232.jpg

I only collect books with Adams interior art, so I don't really think of Batman 227 as much of a key, although I agree that it has a brilliant cover. It simply isn't something I'm that bothered about owning.

I'll be perfectly happy if I eventually manage to acquire the following books in high grade presentation...

Detective Comics 395, 400, 402

Batman 232, 244, 251

I love this book,thank God the stars aligned just right and Gav had this book from the Nik pedigree.

Batman244.jpg

I still miss that book, it's a beauty. I remember looking at it and wondering why it was only a 9.0, I couldn't see anything major through the slab.

Still, landed this a couple of weeks ago thanks to Buried_Alien. It works for me.

Batman232.jpg

Gav that 232 is awesome,still I look at the 244 and ask myself why it does'nt grade higher. (shrug)

Another toughie in 9.2 or higher is Bats 245. Still looking for the right copy of that one.

Agreed, tough book for some reason. Finally found my "right copy" a few months ago after searching in vain for years:

batman-245-94.jpg

Another toughie in 9.2 or higher is Bats 245. Still looking for the right copy of that one.

Agreed, tough book for some reason. Finally found my "right copy" a few months ago after searching in vain for years:

batman-245-94.jpg

Wow, exactly what I have been looking for. Well, if you ever tire of it or upgrade to a 9.6, let me know. Centering on this issue is great. Most have a back to front miswrap.

Yup Batman 222 is very hard to find in decent grade at the moment

Grabbed this copy a couple of months ago.

Batman222.jpg

I picked up a raw 222 in NM- last year and got it slabbed, since then I've never seen another copy in high grade!

#227 is the holy grail for me, I cannot find a 9.4 anywhere.

The #245, I have one in 9.0 and the cover seems to have the same "light whitish" marks as seen in that 9.4 copy, anyone else notice this about the book?

I picked up a raw 222 in NM- last year and got it slabbed, since then I've never seen another copy in high grade!

#227 is the holy grail for me, I cannot find a 9.4 anywhere.

The #245, I have one in 9.0 and the cover seems to have the same "light whitish" marks as seen in that 9.4 copy, anyone else notice this about the book?

If you are willing to pay the price, CGC 9.4 Bats #227s are available fairly often. If you are looking for raw copies instead, get in line. :sumo:lol

Yup Batman 222 is very hard to find in decent grade at the moment

Grabbed this copy a couple of months ago.

Batman222.jpg

That copy is a beauty... I'd like to find a nice one at some point.. Every time I see one I've just made a big purchase right before and cant afford it...

That's my old copy, is very nice. Perfectly centered which ain't easy to find on that book.

So true on the centering. Did you upgrade?

No. Gave up trying to find a nicely centered 9.6.

Nicely centered meaning no white on the spine at all? I've had 2 copies in 9.6 and seen a few others and this one is the closest I could come to "nicely centered".

bats245.jpg

Nicely centered meaning no white on the spine at all? I've had 2 copies in 9.6 and seen a few others and this one is the closest I could come to "nicely centered".

bats245.jpg

I actually like the way a narrow white line looks there. Very happy with it on my copies. (thumbs u