• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage Signature Auction Results, Astonishments, Shocks, Disappointments, etc.

417 posts in this topic

Because I bid $10,000 for a book that I won for $8000. I put that bid in over a week ago.

Which means that your book doesn't look to have been shilled, but provides no concrete evidence that the practice couldn't be happening. (shrug)

Just saying...

Because I bid $10,000 for a book that I won for $8000. I put that bid in over a week ago.

Which means that your book doesn't look to have been shilled, but provides no concrete evidence that the practice couldn't be happening. (shrug)

Just saying...

For this auction at least, Nick, they were so ing busy handling the bidder registration, simultaneous floor, internet, fax, mail, and telephone bids and keeping the lots coming at a rapid pace whilst checking out the winners for the comics, art, and jewelry that sold whilst feeding everybody lunch that it seems they had alot more on their minds than shill bidding.

i'm black listed on HA and CL for speaking out about their practices, now i know why sborock didn't contact me the last time he was in the city. (shrug) the STT 107 CGC 9.0 twin cities was sweet. :cloud9:

Were you actually banned, or are you just paranoid?

is my name daniel dupcak? do i look paranoid to you? :screwy:

Yes.

I just won a lot, clearly showed I won a lot (disabled my live bidding buttons, said "you are winning"...lot closed, in the upper right corner in green showed I was the winner...just clicked on my summary and it said I was outbid... huh??? someone has some splaining to do :mad:

That happened to me on 3 books I bid on and supposedly won at the end of internet bidding. That's 1 heck of a lag time and their system didn't give me a chance to ever raise my bid as it said I was the highest bidder.

As for the shilling speculation, I don't buy it. First, Heritage is doing extremely well, at least as evidenced by the continuing high dollar values of their many types of auctions, and the large number of staff devoted to coordinating and managing smooth auctions. Second, there's very little money in doing it, relative to their bigger sources of revenue: (i) their front- and back-end vigorish on every comic sale, (ii) their profits from the outright purchase and subsequent sale of collections, and (iii) the lucrative practice of buying material, pressing and re-encapsulating at higher grades, and selling at large percentage profits.

Why ruin a successful business by using a practice that risks drastically reducing consignments, sales, and the existing gravy train?

I don't know one way or the other about Heritage shilling their own auctions, but that argument (I highlighted bold) is a terrible one against. In fact greed makes some of the wealthiest people in the world commit massive scams in order to get more money. Have you seen the news in the last 20 years? There is no such thing as being "to successful" to be a criminal.

(thumbs u

I can think of no truer statement.

Baseless innuendo cuts pretty shallow, Gary.

I just won a lot, clearly showed I won a lot (disabled my live bidding buttons, said "you are winning"...lot closed, in the upper right corner in green showed I was the winner...just clicked on my summary and it said I was outbid... huh??? someone has some splaining to do :mad:

That happened to me on 3 books I bid on and supposedly won at the end of internet bidding. That's 1 heck of a lag time and their system didn't give me a chance to ever raise my bid as it said I was the highest bidder.

my bid was just a bit ago live... it will be fixed, trust me (thumbs u

my bid was just a bit ago live... it will be fixed, trust me (thumbs u
:popcorn:

i'm black listed on HA and CL for speaking out about their practices, now i know why sborock didn't contact me the last time he was in the city. (shrug) the STT 107 CGC 9.0 twin cities was sweet. :cloud9:

Yes.

Supa is Dupcak?! :o

Yes.

Supa is Dupcak?! :o

No, he looks paranoid to me.

As for the shilling speculation, I don't buy it. First, Heritage is doing extremely well, at least as evidenced by the continuing high dollar values of their many types of auctions, and the large number of staff devoted to coordinating and managing smooth auctions. Second, there's very little money in doing it, relative to their bigger sources of revenue: (i) their front- and back-end vigorish on every comic sale, (ii) their profits from the outright purchase and subsequent sale of collections, and (iii) the lucrative practice of buying material, pressing and re-encapsulating at higher grades, and selling at large percentage profits.

Why ruin a successful business by using a practice that risks drastically reducing consignments, sales, and the existing gravy train?

I don't know one way or the other about Heritage shilling their own auctions, but that argument (I highlighted bold) is a terrible one against. In fact greed makes some of the wealthiest people in the world commit massive scams in order to get more money. Have you seen the news in the last 20 years? There is no such thing as being "to successful" to be a criminal.

(thumbs u

I was simply referring to the quote: There is no such thing as being "to successful" to be a criminal.

I was not referencing Heritage or any person. Everyone here knows I'm a huge supporter of Heritage.

(thumbs u

I was simply referring to the quote: There is no such thing as being "to successful" to be a criminal.

I was not referencing Heritage or any person. Everyone here knows I'm a huge supporter of Heritage.

For the record, I've done business with Heritage in the past and I imagine I will again at some point. I just think it's ignorant to belive that anyone is beyond reproach.

For the record, I've done business with Heritage in the past and I imagine I will again at some point. I just think it's ignorant to belive that anyone is beyond reproach.

Nobody does.

Same happened to me on an Air Fighters. I didn't realize it till I went to post a scan and found it wasn't really mine.

Hi all, rather new here but I have been buying goods at auction from a great many of the other well known auction houses, Bonhams, Sotheby's etc. typical auction pace is 100 lots per hour, HA seemed to be at about that pace so I dont know that they were overly fast. One bid practice that all auction houses will use is if a seller has a reserve on given item they will "shill" to start the bidding and see if there is any chance of getting to the reserve, if not it becomes a passed lot. I am sure HA has used this practice and I dont see anything wrong with it as long as it is not used above a percentage below the reserve. I can see how people might construe this as a practice which is used to inflate an items price but it really isnt, all it does is try to get the item sold for the seller if there is no response to an opening bid.

Heritage allows bidding to occur normally until they post the reserver, usually a couple days before the auction. If the bids haven't reached reserve then they replace the highest bid with the bid that meets the reserve and they put an asterisk beside it. You can always know whether your bid is topping someone else's bid or meeting the reserve.

Same happened to me on an Air Fighters. I didn't realize it till I went to post a scan and found it wasn't really mine.

I "won", then lost, House of Mystery 143, 9.4. At this rate, perhaps I'll win it again.

Just saying...

I'm a frequent-enough lurker here to appreciate you're a well-respected member of the community. As such, I take your contempt of Heritage pretty seriously - did you have a poor/suspicious experience with them in the past that turned you off?

I "won", then lost, House of Mystery 143, 9.4. At this rate, perhaps I'll win it again.

Unlike me, I just found out that I won a $1,400 book that I didn't even bid on. It says I won in "my bids" section. Yet, in my bids/my track doesn't show it. I need someone from Heritage to explain that one to me. (shrug)

Fair enough. Just wanted everyone to have a look at another opinion/experience :)

Just saying...