• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinions on Page Quality/Color?

28 posts in this topic

It doesn't bother me much. I don't have huge faith in CGCs PQ designations.

If I had a choice of two of the same comic, one is CR/OW and the other is OW/W, I'd be paying a lot more attention to which I liked more structurally rather than going for the better PQ.

It doesn't bother me much. I don't have huge faith in CGCs PQ designations.

If I had a choice of two of the same comic, one is CR/OW and the other is OW/W, I'd be paying a lot more attention to which I liked more structurally rather than going for the better PQ.

^^

If the book's are pretty much the same structure wise. I would take the OW/W Pages book. If I liked the CR/OW book structure wise over the OW/W book. I would purchase the CR/OW book. Re submitting the book could easily change the PQ on either book.

I have seen a lot of books with bone white pages come back from the CGC with the OW/W PQ on the label. There PQ designations leave a lot to be desired. 2c

How do you folks feel about Cream to Off White pages etc when buying a comic?

Is it a huge deal breaker for you?

The Boards have talked this through ad nauseum so please don't attack me.

I avoid all CR/OW pages no matter what the era. Long before CGC, when I collected only raw, I wanted nice eye appeal and page quality. A minor structural flaw did not bother me. No need to change now that I prefer CGC'd books.

CR/OW is a deal breaker for me.

How do you folks feel about Cream to Off White pages etc when buying a comic?

Is it a huge deal breaker for you?

The Boards have talked this through ad nauseum so please don't attack me.

I avoid all CR/OW pages no matter what the era. Long before CGC, when I collected only raw, I wanted nice eye appeal and page quality. A minor structural flaw did not bother me. No need to change now that I prefer CGC'd books.

CR/OW is a deal breaker for me.

Page quality/whiteness is a pretty good, ballpark way to estimate the state

of preservation of a comic. Page color isn't a deal breaker for me but I definately

prefer as white as possible.

C/OW pages on anything newer than 1945 is a definite deal breaker. Before 1945, one sometimes has such a limited choice of copies available in any reasonable time period, that cream pages (or worse) may have to be acceptable.

I prefer OW-W or better when I can find it, but I will buy books with lesser PQ if they have nice structure and present well for the grade. In the pre-hero Marvels that make up a big focus of my collection PQ takes a big backseat to grade, and I would gladly buy CR-OW books that make the grade. I am really reluctant to get into the tan/brittle sphere though, particularly in the SA I collect.

I'm OK with Cream to Off White and above. But CGC PQ seems a bit all over the place. I have some slabs with different PQ which I honestly can't see the difference.

I also comes down to the book. On some books (Daredevil 1, Avengers 4 for example) the whiteness of the pages makes a lot of difference to the desirability, but with things like Hulk 1 and Avengers 1 it doesn't make too much difference.

I persoanlly i don't mind my books looking a little on the 'vintage' side. The patina often adds charm.

I love the look and freshness of white pages and would prefer them all day long. There is something about a decades old comic with pages like new. :cloud9:

Having said all that, CR/OW is not a deal breaker for me. It depends on the book. It depends on the age and scarcity.

I love the look and freshness of white pages and would prefer them all day long. There is something about a decades old comic with pages like new. :cloud9:

+1

I read my comics, so I prefer nice page quality. I'm fine with a mid-grade reading copy with nice PQ.

I collect mid-to-high-grade (7.0 and up) Golden Age and Atom Age, and Cream-to-Off-White is a deal breaker for me. I also don't get how books with that page quality can be slabbed as NM (which I see regularly) or even VF. The CGC needs to give far more weight to page quality.