• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CLOSED - Some PLATINUM and GA Goodness (1st Barks; Popeye; Disney; more)

198 posts in this topic

:takeit:

both Popeye's per PM

:applause:

Nice pickup. I was sorely tempted to go after the Popeye feature book. Thank you for removing the temptation. Hopefully you can provide us all a few more tantalizing scans/photos of the book when you get it.

BUSY BROWNIES / ILLUSTRATIONS BY PALMER COX AUTHOR OF THE BROWNIES. 6x8.5" w/12 pages. Cover text continues "Stories By E. Veale/The Fairy Tales Authoress." First printing (which this is) was in 1896 as giveaway from various sponsors. Rear cover contains an advertisement from Willoughby, Hill & Co, a boy's clothing store. RARE. I would grade this as FR (covers are separated and detatched). Internally quite nice with great illustrations. Not in Overstreet. $15 SOLD

Brownies-1.jpg

Palmer Cox............. :roflmao:

Ok next up is that 1st Barks I promised you. "Pluto Saves the Ship" Large Feature Book #7 from 1942. One of the first American Disney comics ever made that was not reprinted from newspaper comic strips. First work in a comic book that Barks ever did. It is also Pluto's first solo comic book adventure. You don't see this one often. I would put this at a VG- (staple pulls but the cover is still hanging on at the top; cover split at the bottom about 3.5", some light water stains noticable). Guide is around $300. I'll put this one at $150 SOLD

PlutoSaves.jpg

PlutoSaves_rear.jpg

Next is a Buck Rogers Paint Book (Whitman 1935). Great image of Buck Rogers on the front and rear covers. Many of the pictures have been colored with crayon but what kid wouldn't want to do that. Some tears and edgewear. I'd say this is a GD/VG overall. Measures 14x11 (oversized). $50

DSC00404.jpg

Those of you pining for a companion piece to your "Hello Pal #2" will be glad to see this. "Edgar Bergen's Charley McCarthy Meets Walt Disney's Snow White" (Whitman 1938). A simply bizzare adaptation. Overall VG. Internally nice. $30 SOLD.

DSC00402.jpg