• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ultimate Disappointment

23 posts in this topic

Okay, did anyone else think that USM #33 was a let down? Another great story, great art, but where was Venom? After being plastered all over the cover, I didn't see the man in black at all! Sure you have to have some sort of development and can't just plop him down out of nowhere, but #33 was advertized as being the first appearance . . .

On another aside, did any one else think that Truth #1 wasn't worth the money? I felt that the issue really didn't go anywhere and I wasn't a fan of the cartoon art . . .

My two cents,

DAM

Well, we are introduced to Eddie Brock Jr. and the Venom formula... big set up for next issue's "accident" that will transform Eddie into Ultimate Venom. Clearly Peter will be involved and Eddie will blame him for what happens.

As for the Truth, the art didn't bother me. What did is that this is clearly meant to be collected so there is no real break in the story. It just ends on whatever page the page count of the issue ended at. Same thing with number 2 which I had no interest in picking up. I'm a big fan of Kyle Baker's art (especially on the Shadow) but this series is a big yawn.

Kev

Bendis is the man and I completely follow and agree with your logic, but I was really hoping for a little old school Venom brawl this issue.

Yeah, that's another good reason not to like The Truth, the abrupt endings. Cap has been cool this year, but the Truth is two thumbs down. The Ultimate issues have been on fire and the Cap series this year has been my favorite of the year, but I just got so sick and tired of waiting for #6 to come out. I finally picked it up, but I feel like's it taken about 10 months to get 6 issues! What's up with that?

An aside, did anyone like Wolverine's Origin? I couldn't wait to read it when I finally did I thought it was beyond bad. Stuff like this just has me headed to the back issues and the TPBs . . .

Do what I do. Buy the issues, let them stack up, and read them once the story arc is done. That way, no disappointment that you didn't get the full story. If you check this website, you'll see that the Venom story arc is going to be at least 4 issues, possibly longer:

http://www.marvel.com/comics/onsale/onsale.htm?id=577

I wish Bendis would pepper more one-or-two issue story arcs in with his usual 5 to 6 issue arcs. Mixing short and long story arcs up during the course of a year appeals to my reading habits. However, in this case, I can see making the Venom origin longer. How long did it build up when he first appeared--from ASM 252 up until 300? I wonder if they had a character like Venom in mind from the first appearance of the black suit, or whether he was an afterthought.

Venom is my second-favorite villain behind Magneto, so I'm chompin at the bit for this arc to end so I can read it. Looks like I'll have to be patient for a few months! mad.gif

I have. Saturn was a fun read. "I Die at Midnight" was also a wild ride... and "Letitia Lerner, Superman's Babysitter" (from Bizarro Comics) was a LOT of fun. Hi last effort "King David" didn't really do anything for me though.

Kev

Did you hear that John Rey Neiber has left Cap? Big announcement today at newsarama is that he's leaving the book mid-way thru two story arcs. He ends up writing 7-9, then 12 & 13. Chuck Austen is going to finish each story (10, 11, 14, 15) and is hoping to take over as regular writer after that.

I loved Cassaday's art on the first six issues, but the stories seemed kind of lackluster.... I'm hoping they'll read a bit better as a collection.

I gave up on Origin after the second issue. I did pick up Origin in hardcover and while I wasn't really knocked out by anything I thought Kubert did an outstanding job on the artwork and they did it some justice by shooting from the pencils. The story was merely Ok.... aside from the twist in the second issue it was not worth the 25 year wait. In fact, it seemed incomplete. Perhaps that's why Origin II is being prepped for the summer of 2004.

Personally, I thought Windsor-Smith's Weapon X was a better origin story for Wolverine.

Kev

Sure you have to have some sort of development and can't just plop him down out of nowhere, but #33 was advertized as being the first appearance . . .

This is all a plot to continue Overstreet's tradition of confusing comments: 1st app Eddie Brock, 1st app Eddie Brock as Venom, Venom cameo, Venom full appearance, 1st venom cover - very much like ASM 252, 298-300... tongue.gif

Two quick points:

1 -- The current Captain America line was good all around but being in NYC, maybe the patriotism has made me unobjective. Interesting news about the future of the series. I personally don't plan on buying anymore just because I hate the fact that every issue shipped late and don't feel like waiting around for my entertainment

2 -- Very well said, I remember reading the Weapon X stories with such enthusiasm. That made a much better Origin than what happened here. Really just such a disappointment. Although I completely agree, the art is stellar. I too waited for the hard cover to come out. The first thing I did was read the intro where this guy talks about how he lunch with Quesada and thought about the idea and got so excited and how he waited to read them all and how he loved it. Well let me just tell you, that had me more excited about comics than I had been since the Death of Supes in '92. Only this story was even more than a letdown. What will Origin 2 be about? The Weapon X program?

glad to see i was not alone around here in calling Origin a steaming pile of poop. I said that earlier on these boards earlier (someone was selling a copy and called it "one of the best series he'd ever read." I made several jokes) and Darth gave me a stern lecture shocked.gif

mud's one line review of Origin (to openly steal from Bill Hicks)

"Piece of Sh**"

Not only was it a POS, it was an expensive waste of money. That's what worse, not only did I feel burned by the story, I felt burnt by a $35 hard cover. Being more of a reader of back issues, for $35 I could have picked up a few nice Bats to add to the collection or bought literally north of a 100 in a lot . . .

I'm sure I am not alone with this, but with the though economy, I like to make sure that every comic purchase is a good one and MVL thoroughly disappointed on this one.

mud's one line review of Origin (to openly steal from Bill Hicks)

"Piece of Sh**"

Mud, we have a filter for that. Masking of profanity is not allowed. And if you could pass this information on to Mr. Bill Hicks, that would be greatly appreciated. We here at The Holy And Revered CGC Message Boards hope to avoid any unnecessary lifetime bannings in the future.

sorry mud...I probably was reeling from one of the usual comicinvestor virtual "tonguelashings" on promoting the sale of this book and took it out on you. I think I've grown a bit since then.

I found the art on Origin to be exceptional and the facial expressions, the lighting, the scenery all outstanding. The twists in the story were enjoyable and were not too predictable. Kept the reader on edge. What killed the buzz on this was the late releases of the latter half of the series. similar to what's happening with Spider-Man Blue.

Origin was meant to lay a foundation for what was unknown about Wolvie...Origin II was /should have been expected to follow up as the story that covers from his Canadian work camp days to how he gets into the Weapon X program. Origin was not the endall of Wolverine's story but definitely valuable as an expository piece on Wolverine's youth and young manhood, the discovery of his claws...

As for price - the TPB was fairly priced I believe. Hardcovers are always pricey IMO and are nice to stack on a book shelf, for company as a conversational piece (your friends see this and will automaticall talk to you about it or talk about you behind your back on how fast to run away from a kooky comic collector and dissociate themselves from you) - not actually read tongue.gif

MK, what happened to your star rating? BTW, shouldn't you be bringing in your little doggy to the vet today?

Greggy, if only you people had the mental capacity to recognize my unheralded greatness, there would not be stars enough in the sky to give me a suitable rating. >sigh<

And I already took The Beast to the vet. And it wasn't the dog... she's already had "the surgery". This was the cat. Yes, I own a cat. I never thought I would and I wouldn't except that my aunt let me babysit him "for a day." Danged thing never went home. wink.gif

I remember reading somewhere that they have plans for Origin II and Origin III, with Weapon X being slotted in as Origin IV.

Since Origin ends in what can be assumed to be the early days of the 20th century, and the Weapon X storyline takes place many years afterwards (the 60's?). Origin ends with Logan running off into the wild, but at some point he must have gone back to civilization. We know that he was an operative for the Canadian military during WW2 and that he was a police officer in Ontario when he was captured for the Weapon X program. There are many years in between that can be explored.... there's WW1, the great depression, WW2 and so on.

Kev

I wish I could remember where... probably online or in Wizard. I'll take a look around when I get home tonight... I did read at the CSiNsider site that Jemas is itching to do part two to keep up some of the momentum from the first one.

Meanwhile, the latest Wizard mentions that Kubert does plan to start on Origin II after he finishes work on Neil Gaiman's 1602 (which is due next summer), and that Origin II will probably be released in 2004.

Kev

PS I found some interesting info on Logan's timeline at this site: http://www.angelfire.com/ns/logan/facts/bio.html

Well, after reading the USM 34 this past weekend, yup - Ultimate Disappointment part Duex!!! Venom has been so overhyped now that I am really starting to lose interest. Bendis can sure write really well and he and Bagley make a great team, but I want to see an all out brawl between these two guys!

Any other thoughts on USM 34?

Reading ANY Bendis storyline before it's done is an "ultimate" disappointment! The stories are so intriguing, it's painful to wait for next month's installment! Which is why you should try to be patient and not read his story arcs at all until they're done.

Sounds to me like this is a GOOD kind of disappointment, even though it doesn't feel that way when you crave story resolution!