• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ultimate Disappointment

23 posts in this topic

That's true - I couldn't put his trades down! It is tough to wait though when the Marvel hype machine had been blasting USM 33 as the first venom at least three months ahead of time . . . I know that it has been pointed out here before, but it seems like the whole ASM 252, 298-300 gig all over again. Makes me want to just go and re-read my back issues . . .

DAM

I" know that it has been pointed out here before, but it seems like the whole ASM 252, 298-300 gig all over again. Makes me want to just go and re-read my back issues . . . "

You can use the same arguement for ALL of Marvels ultimate line, been there done that.

And lets face it Jack, Steve, Stan & others did a much better job than Bendis, Millar, Bagley & Co can ever hope to do.

I am not totally slamming the Ultimate line here, it is pretty good overall, but if you've already read the earlier stuff it is just treading the same ground.

And lets face it Jack, Steve, Stan & others did a much better job than Bendis, Millar, Bagley & Co can ever hope to do.
The originals did a better job only considering that they were more innovative than the new guys. If you compare both side-by-side, however, Bendis is MUCH better at plots and story concepts and slightly better at dialogue. His character design is MORE than solid, although he's obviously ripping most of that off; the improvements are certainly intelligent and insightful.

The art on all the Ultimates are overall better. The coloring--there's just no way to compare modern computer coloring to manual coloring; today's is far superior. The computer lettering is better. The art style is arguable, but I'm a huge fan of Bagley's art.

But Jack, Steve, and Stan were definitely further ahead of their time than the current crop. That's not to say they're not doing a great job, however. Since the old guys raised the bar so high, I have to assume Marvel has turned down at least a dozen or so character concepts that eventually may have caught on but didn't make it through the two dozen internal filters they have to go through now...so it's tougher for the current crop. If Spider-Man hadn't been created in 1963, he never would've been...there's no way such a simplistic concept would make it through the idea filters today.