• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Punisher Versus Kill Bill Vol. 2 this weekend! Who will win at box office?

Who will win at the box office?  

174 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win at the box office?

50 posts in this topic

Well, it wasn't even close. Not enough people know/care about the Punisher for it to be a top Super-Hero flick.

Thing w/ Spidey, Batman, and even the Hulk is that they are all a part of popular culture and known to even to the non-comic fan.

Punisher will close at a nice profit, but the money will be made in DVD sales.

Against KB2, it really didn't stand a chance.

Well, it wasn't even close. Not enough people know/care about the Punisher for it to be a top Super-Hero flick.

That is true and probably why KB2 beat it at the box office this weekend.

Thing w/ Spidey, Batman, and even the Hulk is that they are all a part of popular culture and known to even to the non-comic fan.

Also true. However, I watched the Punisher twice this past weekend. The first time was Friday morning with a bunch of fanboys and the second was Saturday night in a crowded theater. The non-comic fan crowd Saturday night actually cheered and laughed more than the fanboys. I think the Punisher will build a following.

Punisher will close at a nice profit, but the money will be made in DVD sales.

Against KB2, it really didn't stand a chance.

What was the budget for the Punisher and KB2? confused-smiley-013.gif

I watched KB2 right before I watched the Punisher for the second time Saturday night. I liked KB2, but it wasn't as good as KB1 IMO. I think the Punisher might surprise a lot of people with repeat customers in the form of teenage boys going back in to see it quite a few times. I don't think KB2 has the same staying power as the Punisher because it had a lot of dialog and plot set up and not enough action like the Punisher. At the very least there deserves to be a Punisher 2 with a bigger budget.

I just knew Marvelous would chime in with various excuses why KB2 slammed Punisher at the Box Office. 27_laughing.gif

I was RIGHT, you were WAY WRONG, and no amount of griping is going to change it.

I just knew Marvelous would chime in with various excuses why KB2 slammed Punisher at the Box Office. 27_laughing.gif

I was RIGHT, you were WAY WRONG, and no amount of griping is going to change it.

Didn't you predict the Punisher would only do $10 million at the box office? I said it would do about $20 million. Seems to me that we were both wrong because the Punisher made $14 million. That isn't too bad on a $30 million budget. KB2 made about $26 million on a $55 million budget. Did you even watch Punisher and KB2 so you could compare the two?

Didn't you predict the Punisher would only do $10 million at the box office? I said it would do about $20 million. Seems to me that we were both wrong because the Punisher made $14 million.

The question (if you can read the title) is which movie would make more at the BO. I went with KB2 and you stated that Punisher would win at the BO. You were WRONG.

I also wrote that industry estimates put KB2 at well over $20 million and the Punisher at $12 million. I think that's pretty close, and I won't even take credit since those were INDUSTRY ESTIMATES based on audience previews and overall ratings. Not mine, I just quoted them.

P.S. Is WRONG your middle name, or is it SIMPLETON? 27_laughing.gif

Which jockstrap said the following without even seeing the movie?

I'd say the who produced this Marvel POS movie would be better advised to save their promotional money. 27_laughing.gif

A box office of $14 million opening weekend on a $30 million budget is pretty good for a POS movie, don't you think?

A box office of $14 million opening weekend on a $30 million budget is pretty good for a POS movie, don't you think?

$33 Million Production Budget

$20 Million Promotional Budget

So by industry theatre/studio breakdown estimates, they'll need a $94 million BO to break even before DVD.

$33 Million Production Budget

$20 Million Promotional Budget

So by industry theatre/studio breakdown estimates, they'll need a $94 million BO to break even before DVD.

If that is the case then the numbers have to be even worse for KB2.

$55 Million Production Budget

??? Million Promotional Budget

Guess it would have to make $125 million+ to break even before DVD. That being the case I doubt either movie will break even prior to DVD although Punisher has a better chance. Punisher will do well next weekend once word of mouth gets around about how good it actually is. I think those BO numbers will close before this is all over. I watched both movies this weekend and think the Punisher was the better one.

Punisher will do well next weekend once word of mouth gets around about how good it actually is.

Well, Big Roger wasn't too impressed and gave it a Thumb's Down (he is one of the few reviewers that translate into real-world $$$ BTW), and echoes what the general critic opinion is. He also LOVED KB2, as did Roper.

Punisher: 27% Postive Reviews

KB2: 86% Positive Reviews

IMDB Rating:

Punisher 6.7

KB2: 8.5 (#132 Overall)

Personally, I don't see how this translates into "word of mouth", especially as I've seen WAY more positive viewer comments for KB2.

Here is an interesting take on the 2 movies:

The movie industry is a very strange business; predicting trends a few months in advanced is almost impossible and even the best of us can be fooled on almost a weekly basis. So it's nice when a movie like Kill Bill: Volume 2 comes along. Volume 1 came out such a short time ago, and the reviews for Volume 1 and Volume 2 are so similar that you can almost use the predictions for the first one. There are a couple of details to take into consideration, firstly the sequel effect means it should start stronger and drop faster. Secondly, it's opening in slightly fewer theatres. These things should mostly balance out leaving a $23 million weekend and a $70 million total box office.

The Punisher is destined to have the worst box office of any Marvel Comic movie since, well since the Dolph Lundgren version came out in 1989. This is partially due to the winning streak marvel in on and partially due to the weakness in this movie. That and having John Travolta in the movie doesn't help; he's been box office poison since 1997 with just one hit in his last 10 or so movies. Look for a first weekend take of about $15 million, which given it's budget of only $33 million, it’s not such a bad start.

web page

All the numbers I've seen say that the Production Budget is $30 million and the Promo is $25, adding up to $55 million. makepoint.gif

Usually movies include both figures, unless they're trying to look cheaper than they are, to lower viewer expectations.

All the numbers I've seen say that the Production Budget is $30 million and the Promo is $25, adding up to $55 million. makepoint.gif

Usually movies include both figures, unless they're trying to look cheaper than they are, to lower viewer expectations.

So, where did you get the $20 million promotional budget for the Punisher on top of the $33 million production budget for a total of $53 million?

So, where did you get the $20 million promotional budget for the Punisher on top of the $33 million production budget for a total of $53 million?

Man, you never know when to quit, do you? 893frustrated.gif

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekend&id=punisher.htm

Man, you never know when to quit, do you? 893frustrated.gif

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekend&id=punisher.htm

Can I say "That makes two of you!", or no? The irony's killing me... 27_laughing.gif

Looks like there isn't any other action movies coming out in the next 2 weeks. Guess the Punisher and Kill Bill 2 will keep battling for the box office crown. Lets see if KB2 can hang onto the lead.

It will. Kill Bill 2 was pretty good. I'm alreayd planning on watching the Punisher on DVD since I heard it was just okay tongue.gif

Looks like there isn't any other action movies coming out in the next 2 weeks. Guess the Punisher and Kill Bill 2 will keep battling for the box office crown. Lets see if KB2 can hang onto the lead.

It will. Kill Bill 2 was pretty good. I'm alreayd planning on watching the Punisher on DVD since I heard it was just okay tongue.gif

Just a suggestion. You might want to go to the theater and watch the Punisher on the big screen (unless you have a home movie set-up like Carmela Saprano). Like most movies it won't come across as well on the small screen. For example, Rambo, Die Hard, Predator, and Lethal Weapon are OK on the small screen, but in the theater they played much better.