• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mitch Mehdy Appreciation Thread

74 posts in this topic

It was a business, or was it :hm

All the inventory is long gone... Or is it :hm

Is he really the king, the media said so

Is the kings vault empty or full.....

Boardies gotta know :sumo:

don't make his head already bigger than it is.

It's already the size of Saturn given how you guys are all fawning all over him.

I was thinking more like Jupiter, the Gas King Giant.

Just compare and contrast Mitch's threads, lacking any scans of any comics, with the manner in which the redoubtable BangZoom introduced himself to these Boards.

Yes BZ was a little cunning to begin with, just saying and showing enough so that the "hook was set", and then it was off to the races and the best, longest running thread in the history of the interwebs.

Mitch? In like gang busters, all and vinegar and living up to the fanzine of the day's caption (regarding the Action #1 $1801.26 sale) "Wretched Excess".

Mitch has got some interesting stories about the old days, but on the evidence so far I'd still rather have a beer with BZ.

This is turning into Comics General. I preferred the more genteel Gold section.

There are different types of personas and some will rub us the wrong way, especially on the internet.

If there is one thing that I know for sure after spending 7 years on these boards and on the con circuit, it's that many people are different in real life than they are on the internet, and that goes both ways, for better and for worse.

I'm willing to give Mitch the benefit of the doubt on the surface since we only have known him for a week.

Different strokes and all that...

There are different types of personas and some will rub us the wrong way, especially on the internet.

If there is one thing that I know for sure after spending 7 years on these boards and on the con circuit, it's that many people are different in real life than they are on the internet, and that goes both ways, for better and for worse.

I'm willing to give Mitch the benefit of the doubt on the surface since we only have known him for a week.

Different strokes and all that...

Man, you never have anything bad to say about anyone! Are you this nice a guy in person?

But I think you're probably right about Mitch. I've had a very small amount of more personal interaction with The King, and the hype & hyperbole were not to be found.

don't make his head already bigger than it is.

It's already the size of Saturn given how you guys are all fawning all over him.

I was thinking more like Jupiter, the Gas King Giant.

Perhaps Ego, The Living Planet?

Man, you never have anything bad to say about anyone! Are you this nice a guy in person?

I would say I'm naive in that I generally tend to give people the benefit of the doubt unless my spider-sense is tingling. I was bullied as a kid for being different (collecting comics, English as a second language) and so maybe that has made me a little more tolerant or open minded of people. In the end we're all a bunch of jerks in one way or another.

lol

Now there are a few people I can bad things about....nah...I'll choose not to...Billy Parker and his friends have been nice lately.

:sumo:

But I think you're probably right about Mitch. I've had a very small amount of more personal interaction with The King, and the hype & hyperbole were not to be found.

I think people who are internet savvy assume that everyone is, and sometimes people come on here typing in caps (or bold or starting multiple threads) and everyone assumes they're yelling (or egotistical or something along those lines).

Well, I was one of those people who enjoyed typing in caps when I first got on the internet in the late 1990's. I had no ing idea that I was annoying people.

doh!

So a little benefit of the doubt goes a long way in keeping the peace.

I'm just glad I'm not the only one here not drinking the kool-aid.

Oh, no doubt there may be a "punch" line coming...still great stories to read and hear about.

(thumbs u

I don't care if he doesn't have any comics remaining or if he is using this for a jumping board for a large collection sale. I just dig the history (thumbs u and his unique personality :grin:

Really a unique opportunity for a little vicarious slice of life in the genesis of comic collecting. These stories really add to the dynamics of our passion.

I would also enjoy any stories our "journeymen" comic collector's like Moondog,ciorac, adamstrange, Bangzoom and so on.

But, who would want to put there stories up and then be critiqued and ridiculed for telling you how it was?

Mr. Mehdy does seem to have a personality that really stand's out, but I would think self promotion was a key to his early sucess and really is the same today with new "pedigree's" and hype of the same ilk. (shrug)

The Gold forum usually has a sense of decorum and respect, hopefully it can stay this way. 2c

But, who would want to put there stories up and then be critiqued and ridiculed for telling you how it was?

For me, it's not the message, it's how the message is being communicated. He refers to himself as the King of Comics for god's sake. I don't doubt his story, I'd just prefer a bit more humility in the telling of it. (as others have mentioned, I also prefer the Bangzoom approach) His Majesty's ego might be larger than John Byrne's and that's pretty damn large.

Telling one's story is one thing, having it made into something resembling a production of Friday Night WWE is another.

I don't disagree with you but I think that "a production of Friday Night WWE" is exactly what it is and what "it was". So we are basically getting the "King of comics" exactly the way it "was" circa the 70's. And whatever you may thing about the delivery, it really is authentic :grin: however it's interpreted.

I don't care if he doesn't have any comics remaining or if he is using this for a jumping board for a large collection sale. I just dig the history (thumbs u and his unique personality :grin:

Really a unique opportunity for a little vicarious slice of life in the genesis of comic collecting. These stories really add to the dynamics of our passion.

I would also enjoy any stories our "journeymen" comic collector's like Moondog,ciorac, adamstrange, Bangzoom and so on.

Mr. Mehdy does seem to have a personality that really stand's out, but I would think self promotion was a key to his early sucess and really is the same today with new "pedigree's" and hype of the same ilk. (shrug)

The Gold forum usually has a sense of decorum and respect, hopefully it can stay this way. 2c

Respect and decorum are not one way streets. You shouldn't get a pass on acting self-indulgent and semi-delusional, just because you have some interesting stories to tell about buying funnybooks.

Typically, people who boast the most have the least to say. Guys like Moondog, ciorac, adamstrange and Bangzoom show humility and a genuine desire to communicate about their passion, and they're highly respected, and their posts highly regarded, because of it. You can't have a meaningful exchange with someone who is patronizing at every turn.

With a little humility and a genuine desire to talk with, and not down to, this community, he would get all the respect and admiration as a collector that he could handle, and he would get it without having to bark for it.

In all seriousness...I obtained a copy of ASM #1 when I was 8 years old (1976) and owned it for a little while....can I be the prince of comics? :sumo:

Stable Boy. Its only SA.

lol

I would be stable boy helper (or lower) since I wasn't even born till 1980 and my first big purchase was ASM 129. :cry:

Nice sig line. :grin: