• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mitch Mehdy Appreciation Thread

74 posts in this topic

Well, it take a certain set of personality traits to have done what he has. Its part of the package. The qualities he has (determination, self belief, perseverance etc) which enabled him to amass the books and OA are the same traits (stubborn, arrogant,obsessive) which may make some people want to boot him to Singapore. just 2 sides of a coin.

The world needs more colour and this guy is a rainbow ! He's got my vote for the most interesting posts of the year so far.

I will say this about his royal majesty. His point about buying quality instead of quantity is well taken. I wish I had done that 20+ years ago when I was buying up bronze cheap. I should have been ponying up a little more for, what I thought was at the time, high prices for silver age.

I will say this about his royal majesty. His point about buying quality instead of quantity is well taken. I wish I had done that 20+ years ago when I was buying up bronze cheap. I should have been ponying up a little more for, what I thought was at the time, high prices for silver age.

Yeah, I think his "quality over quantity" point was dead-on. Collectors often settle for the low-hanging fruit in order to get that jolt of instant gratification, at the expense of time, money, and ultimately, long term satisfaction with their collection.

don't make his head already bigger than it is.

It's already the size of Saturn given how you guys are all fawning all over him.

We've already fawned over all you regulars and your books :luhv:

Course we have yet to see any books from Mitch, but we're just getting our fawning motors warmed up :popcorn:

don't make his head already bigger than it is.

It's already the size of Saturn given how you guys are all fawning all over him.

We've already fawned over all you regulars and your books :luhv:

Course we have yet to see any books from Mitch, but we're just getting our fawning motors warmed up :popcorn:

I wonder how many of the 150 books are Action #1's?

Yeah, I think his "quality over quantity" point was dead-on. Collectors often settle for the low-hanging fruit in order to get that jolt of instant gratification, at the expense of time, money, and ultimately, long term satisfaction with their collection.

4x 2's get you an 8 and if you're lucky 2x 5's get you a ten. I prefer quantity over quality, unless you're talking about Sandra Bullock quality....then Mehdy's right.

I don't care if he doesn't have any comics remaining or if he is using this for a jumping board for a large collection sale. I just dig the history (thumbs u and his unique personality :grin:

Really a unique opportunity for a little vicarious slice of life in the genesis of comic collecting. These stories really add to the dynamics of our passion.

I would also enjoy any stories our "journeymen" comic collector's like Moondog,ciorac, adamstrange, Bangzoom and so on.

But, who would want to put there stories up and then be critiqued and ridiculed for telling you how it was?

Mr. Mehdy does seem to have a personality that really stand's out, but I would think self promotion was a key to his early sucess and really is the same today with new "pedigree's" and hype of the same ilk. (shrug)

The Gold forum usually has a sense of decorum and respect, hopefully it can stay this way. 2c

My first reaction was shoot me now. Decdorum and respect sailed on the first tide (with rolls of toilet paper dangling from the ship's rudder).

The good news is that more amazing tales and images of early fandom are on the way (with a bit less empasis on claims of SMOF royalty), but lets keep focused on Mr Mehdy's masterwork here.

What has mighty Mitchell actually shown us that elevates his stature in folk's eyes? Where are all the scans of high grade books in his collection? Granted, his story is fascinating, but it would appear that he wants to lay claim to being one of the key driving forces in comics fandom. So far, I just don't see it. (shrug)

Until he takes a camera to his bank's safe deposit vault, photographs his collection and uploads scans here (as Sharon suggested in an earlier thread) we can only assume that he lost his kingdom (or traded it for a Barney Fifedom) and is merely trying to recapture the high points of his youth.

So far, all we've seen is well documented chutzpah, a knack for self promotion and the good fortune Mr. Mehdy had at having been brought up in a part of the country where he had easy access to national media attention.

Much of the history of early comics fandom (1960's) occured in Texas, Oklahoma, New York and Florida, not just the west coast. That story has yet to be told.

I don't care if he doesn't have any comics remaining or if he is using this for a jumping board for a large collection sale. I just dig the history (thumbs u and his unique personality :grin:

Really a unique opportunity for a little vicarious slice of life in the genesis of comic collecting. These stories really add to the dynamics of our passion.

I would also enjoy any stories our "journeymen" comic collector's like Moondog,ciorac, adamstrange, Bangzoom and so on.

But, who would want to put there stories up and then be critiqued and ridiculed for telling you how it was?

Mr. Mehdy does seem to have a personality that really stand's out, but I would think self promotion was a key to his early sucess and really is the same today with new "pedigree's" and hype of the same ilk. (shrug)

The Gold forum usually has a sense of decorum and respect, hopefully it can stay this way. 2c

Respect and decorum are not one way streets. You shouldn't get a pass on acting self-indulgent and semi-delusional, just because you have some interesting stories to tell about buying funnybooks.

Typically, people who boast the most have the least to say. Guys like Moondog, ciorac, adamstrange and Bangzoom show humility and a genuine desire to communicate about their passion, and they're highly respected, and their posts highly regarded, because of it. You can't have a meaningful exchange with someone who is patronizing at every turn.

With a little humility and a genuine desire to talk with, and not down to, this community, he would get all the respect and admiration as a collector that he could handle, and he would get it without having to bark for it.

True dat!

Where are all the scans of high grade books in his collection?

To be fair, while scans of incredible books would be fun to see, knowledge would be more than a sufficient contribution, I think, so long as he can get out of his own way and share that knowledge in a way that isn't totally obnoxious.

Respect and decorum are not one way streets. You shouldn't get a pass on acting self-indulgent and semi-delusional, just because you have some interesting stories to tell about buying funnybooks.

Typically, people who boast the most have the least to say. Guys like Moondog, ciorac, adamstrange and Bangzoom show humility and a genuine desire to communicate about their passion, and they're highly respected, and their posts highly regarded, because of it. You can't have a meaningful exchange with someone who is patronizing at every turn.

With a little humility and a genuine desire to talk with, and not down to, this community, he would get all the respect and admiration as a collector that he could handle, and he would get it without having to bark for it.

And let's not forget that the first words of wisdom the esteemed King spoke to his humble subjects was that their collections were worthless, their comics toilet paper, and that they were lowly and needed to "mannup". (worship)

As per uzhe (sorry the English alphabet is limited), Andrew is spot on.

Still, if everyone was the same we'd all be chasing the same comics.

I like watching the crazy carnival for a break from reality and these threads are entertaining as anything I've read on these forums.

Time will tell what the point of all this is.

I'm pretty sure those scans will be available soon on ComicConnect or Heritage.

I'm pretty sure those scans will be available soon on ComicConnect or Heritage.

Better not. He promised he was planning no such thing.

(shrug)

My first reaction was shoot me now. Decdorum and respect sailed on the first tide (with rolls of toilet paper dangling from the ship's rudder).

The good news is that more amazing tales and images of early fandom are on the way (with a bit less empasis on claims of SMOF royalty), but lets keep focused on Mr Mehdy's masterwork here.

What has mighty Mitchell actually shown us that elevates his stature in folk's eyes? Where are all the scans of high grade books in his collection? Granted, his story is fascinating, but it would appear that he wants to lay claim to being one of the key driving forces in comics fandom. So far, I just don't see it. (shrug)

Until he takes a camera to his bank's safe deposit vault, photographs his collection and uploads scans here (as Sharon suggested in an earlier thread) we can only assume that he lost his kingdom (or traded it for a Barney Fifedom) and is merely trying to recapture the high points of his youth.

So far, all we've seen is well documented chutzpah, a knack for self promotion and the good fortune Mr. Mehdy had at having been brought up in a part of the country where he had easy access to national media attention.

Much of the history of early comics fandom (1960's) occured in Texas, Oklahoma, New York and Florida, not just the west coast. That story has yet to be told.

You are right about that brother, and my dear friend Richard Evans has enthralled me many a time with stories, from his personal experience, in the nascent days of the Texas famdom scene. He had access to some of the true fathers of fandom and had a front row seat.

Next time you see him at a show, buy him a beer or a margarita and ask about those days. Great stuff.

And let's not forget that the first words of wisdom the esteemed King spoke to his humble subjects was that their collections were worthless, their comics toilet paper, and that they were lowly and needed to "mannup". (worship)

Based on what I've seen of your collection, and the experience you have in this business, Mehdy should be seeking your counsel in the area of manningup.

Or you could just let Verzyl talk your ear off for free.

:baiting:

So true. I remember part of a story (because I couldn't stand around for more than 20 minutes) of John telling someone at his booth at SDCC how he acquired a particular Church book.

Based on what I've seen of your collection, and the experience you have in this business, Mehdy should be seeking your counsel in the area of manningup.

Yes. MrBedrock has knocked me on my butt quite a few times with his scans. I still think he should MANUP though and free some of those books from their plastic coffins.

;)