• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

POLL & Discussion : Favorite (Uncanny) X-Men artist?

My Favorite (Uncanny) X-Men Artist is...  

162 members have voted

1. 1. My Favorite (Uncanny) X-Men Artist is...

19 posts in this topic

Greetings my fellow X-Men comic book collectors! How long have you been collecting X-Men books? If you've been collecting for a long time, or have purchased a ton of back issues, then you have seen many great artists throughout the years. If you could only pick one artist to pencil the Uncanny X-Men book month after month, which one of the following artists would you choose?

IMO, the two most under-rated artists from the above list are Marc Silvestri and Whilce Portacio. My favorite (Uncanny) X-Men artist is Jim Lee, and Whilce Portacio is a very close second. My favorite Jim Lee covers from the Uncanny run (not to be confused with his 2nd Series work) are issues 258, 272, 274, 276. How many older (than me) collectors will pick John Byrne?

There are some great choices on that list, but without a doubt the greatest X-Men artist of all time was John Byrne (especially when inked by Terry Austin).

2nd: Paul Smith

3rd: Alan Davis

4th:Jim Lee

5th: Neal Adams

6th: Barry Windsor-Smith

7th John Romita Jr.

You should be happy to know that Silvestri will be returning to draw New X-Men for Grant Morrison in 2003. Article was in the latest Wizard.

Kev

John Romita Jr?#7? Ahead of Cockrum and Steranko?

I think that run of his on X-Men has to be the worst run of any artist ever. He has about as much artistic talent as my dog. Like all your other picks, though. smile.gif

You should be happy to know that Silvestri will be returning to draw New X-Men for Grant Morrison in 2003

That is great news! I really enjoyed Silvestri's work in the current ongoing Wolverine title, and after he left the title, and Texeria came on board my interest in the title diminished. I might have to swallow my pride, and visit the local comic shop yet.

DEFINITELY ahead of Cockrum. Ugh.

I love Steranko's work, but I also like to weigh in an artist's reliability and ego when considering their value to a title.

Romita Jr.'s run on the title between 176 and 20? are definitely some of my favourite non-Byrne, non-Smith issues. I'm very fond of the two-part Kulan Gath story in UXM 190/191.

Kev

I would rate episode 1 as having better special effects than episode 5. laugh.gif

Storywise, not even close.

Perhaps you consider the Cockrum issues better because (a) they were first and (b) the stories were better than during the Romita Jr. era. Which I would have to agree with 100%.

Artistically though, Cockrum is not my cup of tea. I find his work constantly underachieves the story potential, comes across as simple-looking and kind of boring - the figures look static, the backgrounds dull and there's very little dynamic in his action sequences.

Kev

I voted Other - Hands down- Lenil Francis Yu - others just pale in comparison. It's like comparing early Marvel Transformers to Pat Lee's Dreamwave renditions of the mega-machines...

All you Asians who didn't support your brother artist - BAH! Humbug to you... Byrne indeed... mad.gif

Come on.....I realize that everyone wants to seem like they have their own opinion and preferences, but why doesn't everyone just admit it:

When it comes to the X-men, JOHN BYRNE and TERRY AUSTIN are GOD.

I'm very fond of the two-part Kulan Gath story in UXM 190/191.

Good call. That is certainly one of my favourite 80's X-Men arcs also.

I think Romita Jr dispalyed some nice work on X-Men nad his run is very underated. And for sure he is a better artist than Cockrum, his run just was not as ground-breaking.

BLowout,

Are you being sarcastic by saying Romita Jr. is better than Cockrum?

So the guy who drew this piece of dung: http://images.auctionworks.com/fullView.asp?img=http://images.auctionworks.com/hi/16/15897/cgc98xmen182.jpg

is better than the guy who drew this:

http://images.auctionworks.com/fullView.asp?img=http://images.auctionworks.com/hi/6/5732/xmen108.jpg

Man...that is just crazy talk!!! wink.gif

Hey everyone has their off days. goodevil.gif

I am not saying I don't like Cockrum's work, he did some good solid work on the X-Men (and by the way Romita's run on the X-Men was VERY patchy). Overall, I just find Cockrum's work rather pedestrian.