• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lowest CGC amount in 4 years!

30 posts in this topic

There are currently only 92 CGC books listed on ebay in the Golden Age section. That is the lowest I've ever seen it.

Are they...

waiting for the new guide?

keeping their CGC books and not selling because they love em?

selling elsewhere?

mostly in the hands of collectors and not dealers?

Thoughts?!?

Timely

It's been boring in all the sections but GA has been snoozeville the past week. My guess is the wait for the new Guide. At least I hope so, a boring GA section would make my mornings less fun.

Ppl are praying that the Punisher movie will be a success so they can flog their 893crossfingers-thumb.gif hot comics for stoopid $$ as the new Ostreet approaches.

Harvey file copies are still going for 2x NM Ostreet this week on eBay thanks to mamanook thrill bidding on a Richie Rich #1 cgc 9.0. popcorn.gif

there's never a HUGE leap in price in the OS, anything good on heritage? 893scratchchin-thumb.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

Heritage has some good books coming up in the June auction,....including a Tomahawk #1 CGC 9.6.... blush.gif.

I'm not sure why people would be waiting for the new guide to sell slabbed books? For high grade slabbed books the guide is irrelevant, and for low-mid grade golden age books there's unlikely to be any significant change in guide prices.

For a dealer selling a new collection raw at fixed prices it would make sense to wait. However, for selling nice golden age books in an auction venue like ebay, I doubt there would be much difference in the ending price now vs. next month after the guide comes out. confused-smiley-013.gif

My thoughts:

1) There will be less and less quality GA stuff on eBay. Many GA purchases are for COLLECTIONS.

2) Unlike new books, just because a GA book sells for an above market price, doesn't mean a flood of the same issue / title will come to market. Simply, there aren't copies available to sell.

3) Heritage or even ComicLink is really the way to go, regarding GA.

4) Lastly, there has been a huge lack of even Silver-Age books on eBay. Other than Fin-Uga putting up a nice run of DD's and Silver Surfer's and Mile High Comics (with usually Mile High Prices), the usual suspects (i.e. ComicGeek, Jason Ewert, etc.) haven't had any really nice runs of really hard to find books for a few weeks ( if not longer).

1) There will be less and less quality GA stuff on eBay. Many GA purchases are for COLLECTIONS.

4) Lastly, there has been a huge lack of even Silver-Age books on eBay. Other than Fin-Uga putting up a nice run of DD's and Silver Surfer's and Mile High Comics (with usually Mile High Prices), the usual suspects (i.e. ComicGeek, Jason Ewert, etc.) haven't had any really nice runs of really hard to find books for a few weeks ( if not longer).

CGC/ebay brought some great books out of collections over the last few years...but as I've always said, those books readily available for sale (not forgotten about in an attic or in the hands of collectors who will never sell) have been or are in the process of being sold, so a slowdown in the quantity of quality material available was inevitable.

I think this phenomena runs through gold as well as high-grade silver and pre-75 bronze keys, and the record-prices these books continue to bring when offered for sale attest to that. Sure, the census numbers will grow over time, but just b/c there may be 3 or 4 9.8 X-men 94's on the census in 5 years DOES NOT mean there will be 3 or 4 9.8 X-men 94's available for purchase.

think this phenomena runs through gold as well as high-grade silver and pre-75 bronze keys, and the record-prices these books continue to bring when offered for sale attest to that. Sure, the census numbers will grow over time, but just b/c there may be 3 or 4 9.8 X-men 94's on the census in 5 years DOES NOT mean there will be 3 or 4 9.8 X-men 94's available for purchase.

I concur!!!!

And I think it really applies even more with GA. There might be 3 of 4 CGC high-grade copies (8.0 or higher) of some GA books and it's possible they will NEVER be for sale. confused.gif

I can't explain this lull, but I sure want to thank Heritage for what has been one of my best acquistions on eBay in over a year. Linkie.

Yes, it has Cream pages, but the GPAnalysis high on this book is over $1,700...a good deal for one of the best Xela Thrilling Comics airbrush covers. acclaim.gif

you got a steal! some of the best deals are CGC w/ cream pages.

Isn't that like saying some of the best deals are books with Restoration?

Your implying that page quality shouldn't factor much into the value of a book. But it does.

Still, that's a very sharp looking book.

And I have to thank Heritage for their last Signature auction. I have already looked at the preliminary books for the June auction and there are at least 4 or 5 I will be bidding on seriously (I also usually bid on around 50 other books in case a book sells for dramatically below market value).

I can't explain this lull, but I sure want to thank Heritage for what has been one of my best acquistions on eBay in over a year. Linkie.

Yes, it has Cream pages, but the GPAnalysis high on this book is over $1,700...a good deal for one of the best Xela Thrilling Comics airbrush covers. acclaim.gif

Awesome book, awesome cover, and awesome price! thumbsup2.gif

resto means work was done, cream pages just meant improper storing conditions.

So which book would be closer to its original manufactured state:

1) A CGC 9.4 (with a very small color touch) and White Pages or

2) A CGC 9.4 (with Cream pages)

The book with a small color touch has mayber 1/4" of a square inch that is not in it's original state, but the book with Cream pages (which is pretty low on the page quality scale has something like 3,600" that is not in it's original state.

My real point was that the price that he paid clearly factored in the page quality.

Still a great book, but to ignore the page quality being Cream throughout, would be like ignoring slight restoration.

Still a great book, but to ignore the page quality being Cream throughout, would be like ignoring slight restoration.

Personally, after numerous submissions and purchases of CGC books, I've become very wary of CGC's labeling of page quality. When you submit books from the same collection (with the same identical page quality) and get back books that vary from White, OW/W, and finally Off-White page quality, you start questioning their ability to be consistent.

Besides, for me, it becomes a matter of how does the "Cream to Off-White" or (in this case) "Cream" page designation affect the rest of the book. Is there a noticeable lack of cover gloss/lustre? Are there visible tan-lines on the front or back cover? Is the back cover off-color and dark? Of course, I'm working off of a bleached Heritage scan, but this book seems to only have a slight tan line on the back cover..otherwise, its looks to be pretty clean.

But you are right, the page quality likely had something to do with the final price....but still, I'm happy with it. thumbsup2.gif