• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ouch, says d.c.

41 posts in this topic

I am afraid we are in store for more poor superhero movies as Hollywood continues looking for something with a built-in fan base that can capture a wider fan pool to build a long term franchise. So far I would say they have only achieved it with Spiderman, Batman, and the X-Men. I am hoping Captain America is the fourth ! :wishluck:

ghost rider :cloud9:

I was 1 of the few (and the demented?) who liked Ang Lee's Hulk 1 movie. Never tormented myself with Catwoman or Jonah Hex :frustrated: though.

i can't stomach hulk 1, but after rewatching 2 recently, i have become pretty fond of it.

I am afraid we are in store for more poor superhero movies as Hollywood continues looking for something with a built-in fan base that can capture a wider fan pool to build a long term franchise. So far I would say they have only achieved it with Spiderman, Batman, and the X-Men. I am hoping Captain America is the fourth ! :wishluck:

iron man? thor?

Saw it today. Expected little, but then that is always the case. A mediocre rather than terrible movie. Perhaps the most generic super-hero film I've seen, which is saying a lot. Nice sfx, reasonable handling of the concepts, but far too many negs to garner more than two stars out of five.

That's a pretty good review for you, with your notorious high standards.

Saw it today. Expected little, but then that is always the case. A mediocre rather than terrible movie. Perhaps the most generic super-hero film I've seen, which is saying a lot. Nice sfx, reasonable handling of the concepts, but far too many negs to garner more than two stars out of five.

That's a pretty good review for you, with your notorious high standards.

I may have been a little harsh regarding X-Men FC...a decent film certainly, but I just can't listen to all that genrebound dialogue any longer.

Anyway, high standards be damned. The GL movie's biggest problems are blandness, lack of characterization, cynical and leaden plotting / directing (and a lead actor who wasn't even told that Hal Jordan has an angry streak, or just can't act.) Most super-hero movies have these problems. They're just not aimed at seen-it-all fogies like us.

I agree that a lot of the movies made from comics have been awful. But every time I see one that is bad, I just remind myself of the 70s and 80s when my friends and I used to pray, hope and dream that one day there would be a decent movie made (other than the first two Superman movies, which we all loved at the time). Since then, there have been lots of bad ones but the fact that they keep making them is still pretty awesome. Especially when you have the occasional Dark Knight, Superman, Iron Man, Fantastic Four and X-men gems.

I'll probably see Green Lantern, Thor, Captain America, and any others that come out just because I love comics. :cloud9:

Just so long as they don't let Brett Ratner make anymore.

I agree that a lot of the movies made from comics have been awful. But every time I see one that is bad, I just remind myself of the 70s and 80s when my friends and I used to pray, hope and dream that one day there would be a decent movie made (other than the first two Superman movies, which we all loved at the time). Since then, there have been lots of bad ones but the fact that they keep making them is still pretty awesome. Especially when you have the occasional Dark Knight, Superman, Iron Man, Fantastic Four and X-men gems.

I'll probably see Green Lantern, Thor, Captain America, and any others that come out just because I love comics. :cloud9:

When the trend for super-hero films eventually recedes, or even disappears, we'll all look back at this as the Golden Age of comic-based cinema.

Or at least as an era when the mass media was giving time and column inches to comic book characters and their cinematic counterparts.

When the trend for super-hero films eventually recedes, or even disappears, we'll all look back at this as the Golden Age of comic-based cinema.

Or at least as an era when the mass media was giving time and column inches to comic book characters and their cinematic counterparts.

Just enjoy it while we can, they will slow down making comic movies once audiences slow down seeing them. Lets just hope it doesn't happen because they churn out a succession of bad movies.

I think Marvel is doing a good job on their characters. Looks like they have listened to the fans and made better attempts as they move forward releasing these movies. I think it's great that we are headed toward a cross-over movie soon with The Avengers.

Well I just saw Green Lantern and it was much better than I thought it would be though far from what I hoped it would be. Should a DC or Green Lantern fan see this movie? Absolutely, you will enjoy it tremendously.

I really enjoyed a number of things about this movie. First the ability of the film to capture the spirit of the Silver Age Green Lantern without feeling the need to create a slavish depiction of the visual elements. I particularly liked the depiction of the Guardians and the planet OA.

Secondly, I enjoyed the interplay of a wide range of plot elements from throughout nearly 50 years of Green Lantern canon. While I am most familiar with the stories of the 1960-1980 era I enjoyed the incorporation of some more current story elements.

What is mostly lacking from this film is believable characterizations. Hal comes off somewhat flat as does Carol Ferris. You just don't connect with them. Sinestro seems somewhat more interesting but he is not given a big enough role, although it looks like they are counting on him for the sequel. Hector Hammond was actually preety good but his interplay with the other characters is limited by their own limitations.

Why can't DC seem to make a movie that rocks like Iron Man? I don't know but it is not for a lack of trying. There seems to be a need to pump up the verrve and film timing and screenplay to really make this movie work. I counted about ten different special effects houses in the credits so they were not shy about trying to make this work.

This film is not Batman but it is still fun.

One final annoyance was the lack of a creator credit, no sign of a credit to Julie Schwartz, John Broome or Gil Kane. Too bad as they were certainly the source for a lot of the material in this film.

I don't think Jonah Hex qualifies as a Mainstream character (average person doesn't know who or what a Jonah Hex is.) Just sayin'.....

That was part of the problem the movie had, no one cared.

If Hex was as well known as Batman it wouldn't have helped. While I initially found the idea of a Jonah Hex flick more intriguing than most comic book based movies, the buzz was so awful I passed, not even planning to see it on DVD, but I was channel surfing a month ago and stumbled upon it, watching the last hour.

It was worse than I imagined. I'd heard that two thirds of the movie was reshot on a rush schedule at the last minute, but It's hard to imagine the material not used was any less watchable. All they had to do was make a contemporary spaghetti western and the filmmakers would have been halfway there. What a waste.

Saw the movie over the weekend...long lines....I like the movie and thought it was worth the price of admission. Certainly not one of the best movies I ever saw but based on all of the bad things being said about it I expected little to nothing and got more than I bargained for.... (thumbs u

Might be mediocre, but it's turning a profit, and scored #1 at the boxoffice this past weekend:

http://blog.moviefone.com/2011/06/19/box-office-report-june-17-19/?icid=main%7Chtmlws-main-n%7Cdl2%7Csec1_lnk3%7C216445

That's not a very great number though, $52M. These days a film really only has a couple weeks to do well before the next hit comes along..