• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GA Question

7 posts in this topic

Have been looking at some of the old Marvel GA series, Human Torch, Sub-Mariner and Marvel Mystery issues. I'm looking at buying Marvel Mystery Comics #92 with the orgin of the Torch on the cover. Does this issue have any significance (monetary or otherwise) as it appears to be the last issue for this series in 1949? I noticed the Human Torch series goes to about 1955, Sub-Mariner I believe 1948. Can't I get a quick history lesson from someone on the timelines. Timely?

Of course it does. Many last issues of Golden Age titles are valued higher. Origin issues are always valued higher as well.

The last issue of the Human Torch does go into 1955 with issue #38, however there was a 5 year gap where no Human Torches were made. HT #35 came out in 1949. HT #36-38 all came out in 1954.

BTW, Marvel Mystery Comics #92 and Flash Comics #104 are very much alike: both are last issues, both are scarce, both are in high demand, both came out in 1949 and both are origin issues! 893whatthe.gif

The big difference between them is the price... $8600 for the Flash, $3400 for the Marvel Mystery. How can that be right!?! confused-smiley-013.gifforeheadslap.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Timely

I agree with you on the price discrepancies. I have made a lot of silver age purchases lately but I still do not own one of these GA Marvel classics and its time to make a shift and add one to my collection. My top 5 want list for Marvel Mystery Comics are issues 4, 8,9,10 and 92. Can't seem to find any issues 4 or 9 in decent low to mid grade that are not unrestored, cover lose, cover missing, etc. These of course are classic issues and I can't imagine anyone wanting to part with them (have any lying around?). Also, the Torch, SM battle seems to extend from issues 8-10. Is it because of the multiple story lines that are in each issue so they only dedicate a handfull of pages to the battle. If I buy issue 8 will I feel short changed because it might take me 2 years to track down a copy of issue 9 to get a glimpse of the continuing battle?

Well I'll tell ya, as a collector of pre-code horror, Catain America #75 is gawdawful pricy for what it is. And 74, that actually SHOWS CAP (75 didn't show him on the cover or interior) is, while less pricey, ridiculously overpriced for the content. 74 and 75 were the last 2 of the GA Cap books. So yes, I have to think there is certainly significance there! You can see this in the other Atlas type books where the GA Timely heroes were drawing their last breath.

I'm going to sit tight for now and keep looking around for deals. Cap #38, CGC 8.0 just showed up on Comic Link but it seems to be awfully cheap for the highest graded copy on record? confused-smiley-013.gifthumbsup2.gif

You are wise indeed! I iwsh I were so wise. frown.gif

thumbsup2.gif

And 74, that actually SHOWS CAP (75 didn't show him on the cover or interior) is, while less pricey, ridiculously overpriced for the content.

Cap 74 may be pricey, and not quite as rare as Overstreet and Gerber would have you believe, but it is hands down the coolest Captain America comic ever!! You've got that great hybrid title with WEIRD TALES bigger than Captain America, the most menacing Red Skull cover ever produced, and a fantastic story in which Cap goes to Hell in order to do battle with the Red Skull!

What more could you ask for? I paid more for a copy of this book than I have for any other comic, and would rather have it than a Captain America 1.