• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post your Overstreet Surprises...

280 posts in this topic

9.2s are definitely different than they were 12 months ago. I think there's a definite correction on those crazy multiples. I think those multiples as more geared towards the truly rare like certain books in 9.4 and others in 9.6 and better. The 9.2s for the ultra rare will always command a premium... but I think there are enough high grade Marvels out there to bring 9.2s back down to guide.

Definitely in agreement with you here. As more and more books get slabbed, I think we are going to see that early SA Marvels in 9.2 is really not that rare and should not have been going for riduculous multiples. 9.4's and especially 9.6's are a different story and it was a smart move by OS to drop them from the annual guide due to all the volatility.

On the other hand, I can still see high multiples for early key DC's in 9.2 because they are far tougher to get than the Marvels.

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9.2s are definitely different than they were 12 months ago. I think there's a definite correction on those crazy multiples. I think those multiples as more geared towards the truly rare like certain books in 9.4 and others in 9.6 and better. The 9.2s for the ultra rare will always command a premium... but I think there are enough high grade Marvels out there to bring 9.2s back down to guide.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Definitely in agreement with you here. As more and more books get slabbed, I think we are going to see that early SA Marvels in 9.2 is really not that rare and should not have been going for riduculous multiples. 9.4's and especially 9.6's are a different story and it was a smart move by OS to drop them from the annual guide due to all the volatility.

On the other hand, I can still see high multiples for early key DC's in 9.2 because they are far tougher to get than the Marvels.

It really all depends on how you look at it.

There might not be hardly any difference in the structural quality of a 9.2 compared to a 9.4, yet there is a doubling in price already.

Example:

What's the difference between and X-Men #1 with two light spine stress lines and three light spine stress lines.

Answer:

1) Either no price difference or

2) $25,000

All depends on if both get 9.4's, or the second gets a 9.2.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Just to clarify, I bought Bob's Fantastic Four #11 (9.2 wp) for $3000. I would do it again if I had the chance. The book is very nice!

Thanks Dan...see what happens when you get old...you get forgetful, and your memory becomes fuzzy. tongue.gif

Now, what were we talking about again? grin.gif

Just to clarify, I bought Bob's Fantastic Four #11 (9.2 wp) for $3000.

Much more reasonable! thumbsup2.gif I hate burying myself in a book, although I've definitely done a few times recently on books I really wanted. juggle.gif

There might not be hardly any difference in the structural quality of a 9.2 compared to a 9.4, yet there is a doubling in price already.

Example:

What's the difference between and X-Men #1 with two light spine stress lines and three light spine stress lines.

Answer:

1) Either no price difference or

2) $25,000

All depends on if both get 9.4's, or the second gets a 9.2.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

With the way it's going with slabbing, I wouldn't be surprised if investors/speculators were more than willing to pay the extra $25K for a 9.4 with three light stress lines instead of a 9.2 with only two light stress lines (everything else being equal). This would be the classic case of buying the label instead of buying the book.

Personally, I still believe that grading is a blend of art and science. As a result, I don't believe that CGC is consistent enough with their grading to justify paying from 100% to 200% more for that 0.2 MINUTE difference in grade. This is more than proven by the successful resubmits going through CGC for higher grades. insane.gif

Personally, I still believe that grading is a blend of art and science. As a result, I don't believe that CGC is consistent enough with their grading to justify paying from 100% to 200% more for that 0.2 MINUTE difference in grade. This is more than proven by the successful resubmits going through CGC for higher grades.

Here we agree!!! acclaim.gif

Does anyone have any recent purchases (say within the last 4-6 weeks) that compare well in relation to the new Guide?

Anyone targeting anything either on ebay or on Heritage specifically because of the new Guide (a book still undervalued, or conversely, a book shooting up significantly pressing your "Gotta buy now before its too late" button)?

Does anyone have any recent purchases (say within the last 4-6 weeks) that compare well in relation to the new Guide?

Anyone targeting anything either on ebay or on Heritage specifically because of the new Guide (a book still undervalued, or conversely, a book shooting up significantly pressing your "Gotta buy now before its too late" button)?

There are a few titles / issues that I still believe are very undervalued in the guide. The problem is those books are just not available on eBay, Heritage or even dealers websites. 893frustrated.gif

I still believe there is (and will be) a slight lull for another month or two. I'm seeing very little Marvel Silver-Age on eBay to get me excited.

Now Heritage definitely has a lot of GA books that I want in their June Signature Auction. acclaim.gif

My Overstreet surprise would have to be......that I haven't recieved the frickin book yet....HOUSE....... 893frustrated.gif

Ditto. mad.gif

I got mine! sumo.gif

I was surprised to see so much stuff in VF- to VF+ actually go down slightly in value. I realize that in Silver and more so in Bronze this grade range isn't true high grade anymore, but still, you'd expect the NM 9.0 and above price increases to drag this "low high grade" range up as well, across the board.

Also, a few strange anomolies ("price corrections"?):

SA GL in 55 in VF goes up not one penny, but SA GL 51 in FN goes up 15%...

DD 66 in FN goes up 50% over last year's guide price, but DD 67 in VF goes up only 6%...

WDC&S #524 is up to $14 in 9.2 ... it goes up every year, yet it seems to be among many similarly priced, recent issues which can be found everywhere for $2-3...? Someone at the OS is a big duck fan..?

well, not that big a duck fan because th elate gladstones which actually do sell for more than cover (Sometimes MUCH MUCH More) are all in there at basically cover. Early gladstones he has pumped up, but they just NEVER sell anywhere near that. confused-smiley-013.gif

the whole CGC high grade price phenomenon is strictly in the nosebleed grades. These higher prices dont filter down to the lower grades as they are much more common and easy to find. As for the pricing anomolies you point out, I always chalk that up to somehwre in between sloppiness in OS not proofing the changes to see a consistency....and the sheer daunting task of updating tens of thousands of comics, multiplied by the 6 grade levels. Yikes, who wouldnt make mistakes!! and WHO'D NOTICE??? grin.gif