• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cool Comparisons

7 posts in this topic

Pov, what happened? I looked at this post earlier today and saw the two covers. Now they don't show up. Is there a problem at your ISP? I'm not having problems with images on other posts.

They'll probably start showing up again and I will look like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person (or at least a weird slobbering brute).

I think the similarities are coincidence or maybe both stemmed from some common illustration. (How many ways are there to draw a hand coming out of a grave in a cemetery?)

But ... if you look at the cover dates (Sept 51 for the Mister Mystery and Mar 52 for the Mystery Tales) the Mystery Tales cover would have been drawn around the time the Mister Mystery was on the stands.

Hmmmmm, you may have something there, Detective Povertyrow.

Hey EC - check my sig line! lol - my image server is down for a while! Most frustrating. I tell you though I was just startled when I saw that Mister Mystery 1 and immediately hooked into Mystery Tales #1.

But - am typing "blind" here - both figures are lying back on a tombstone too! Just too EERIE wink.gif a coincidence! grin.gif

I've always liked these two -- Planet 24 and 54

both.jpg

Not only did Fiction House swipe from there own comic book line, they swiped from their pulp line as well.

There was a Comic Book Marketplace article a while ago that showed a number of Fiction House pulp covers that were turned into Fiction House comic book covers.

With pulp titles like Planet Stories and Jungle Stories, you can see where there might have reused ideas for Planet Comics and Jungle Comics.