• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Larry's Comics at it again...

509 posts in this topic

Why? Everyone posting today is clearly bored and looking for some social interaction.

Well I am in the middle of reading Robopocalypse, so I am trying to get some use out of this thing before it rises up and tries to snuff me.

I think there are a lot of intelligent people on here who get too emotional about the subject matter.

Get along, folks.

This is just a play sandbox, not some desert wasteland where people are fighting for their lives.

Agreed. Thank goodness for the occasional boob sighting.

162.jpg

Better get my 2c in here again. Everyone beating up on RMA again?

You know I love it.

That is so true and utterly depressing.

The beating isn't the problem, it's his reaction to it. He is giving my words power.

Don't react Tim, I think that's your name, make me powerless. Make me powerless RMA!

I think there are a lot of intelligent people on here who get too emotional about the subject matter.

Get along, folks.

This is just a play sandbox, not some desert wasteland where people are fighting for their lives.

Agreed. Thank goodness for the occasional boob sighting.

162.jpg

Weak. Grab 'em like you mean it, fanboy.

endless...

lol

This point has been missed, and needs to be stressed:

The discussion is about general comments directed towards people because of their race, ethnicity, gender, age, etc.

It has nothing to do with kids making offensive comments to their teachers.

It has nothing to do with the neighbor's dog carping on your lawn.

It has nothing to do with standing up for OTHERS who are being harassed.

It has nothing to do with personal insults that are based on someone's personality and behavior.

All clear? :)

Clear.

We give the words power. I grasp that concept.

I just wonder how many years of silence and non-action it would take to make the horrors of that racial mindset go away.

Part of my response to Larry had to do with my personal experiences (not towards me, but people I'm close to), but the other part of it had to do with professionally how it reflects the hobby.

If I'm working in the club and a customer, regardless of race, is yelling CRACKER, I'm going to react to that, not because I find it offensive (really I don't), but because others find it offensive and I can't have that reflect upon the business.

What Larry said reflects our hobby. Fair or not, some will see it that way.

He needs to know, even though it may not make a difference to him, there's a slight possibility it might, or that someone ELSE might become aware of how it reflects on us.

Non-Action, might make someone think it's ok.

Which might lead to more people feeling compelled to say offensive and derogatory comments. It might just give those words MORE power.

Just some thoughts.

Nice Job CG. Well said. :applause:

And here I was just watching to thread to see RMA thrash people. Any time I find a thread where RMA and Heat Miser are involved, I sit back and enjoy. You have officially been added to that list.

All clear? I shouldn't HAVE to qualify and clarify like this, because it's completely obvious and should be understood that this is what we are talking about, but I am forced to by your statements.

I'm guessing you willfully ignored the part where I said, "...though obviously not a parallel to taking offense at a racial slur. Nonetheless it serves the purpose of pointing out that there are forms of speech for which it is unrealistic to expect the listener to have a nonchalant reaction."

There was nothing misrepresentative about it, and I made it clear it was being used for a minor point.

This point has been missed, and needs to be stressed:

The discussion is about general comments directed towards people because of their race, ethnicity, gender, age, etc.

It has nothing to do with kids making offensive comments to their teachers.

It has nothing to do with the neighbor's dog carping on your lawn.

It has nothing to do with standing up for OTHERS who are being harassed.

It has nothing to do with personal insults that are based on someone's personality and behavior.

All clear? :)

Weak. Kids making offensive comments to teachers was an example to make a point. The other elements are also examples to make points. You can dismiss these things but you do so mindlessly. My message contained more than analogies and examples, it contained direct responses to flaws in your arguments at the level of your assumptions. It has been noted that you have backed down from a direct and measured response.