• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Done selling on ebay

300 posts in this topic

I am so sick of listing items only to have some loser complain or grumble about everything. The listing are basic, everything listed multiple pictures and people still complain. Then I offer a refund when the book is returned and they file with ebay leaving me with only 7 days. I am so sick of it. Ebay comic buyers suck!! Its amazing that I can sell on here and never have an issue go to ebay and the last 3 had issues and one I actually received my first negative in 1000 transactions. The problem is that ebay and PP always side with the buyer and sellers can`t even leave a negative feedback. I am so done with selling on ebay.

Ahhh rant over.

I have found out over the years comics are some of worst things to sell on Ebay.

Example seller says comic is vg

buyer negs because the comic book to him is a vg -.

Why risk getting a neg for a comic that probally goes for less than $10?

Then you have to deal with the shipping of these which is a lot harder to do than shipping coins,cards,electronics,health products,videogames and action figures, as comics can get damaged much more easilly.So we must bubblewrap and put cardboard sandwiches to protect them. This becomes a pain in the arse when we realized after doing all that we still might get a neg if that vg is thought to be vg- by buyer. So lots of work there when we probally could be doubling our money by selling something hotter and more profitable.

Ebay is an awesome place to sell other products,but its not really a good place to sell your generic pile of common comic books. Which sucks because basically 99% of comics fall into the category of being worth less than $10.

You might want to try Craigslist or small comic shows to sell in the future.

Take lots of pics, grade as accurately as possible, list all significant flaws, charge a reasonable shipping rate, package with good padding, mail quickly, stay on top of helpful communication, and in spite of doing all of the above, expect the occasional uncool person to disregard your efforts and make the experience unpleasant. And then take a deep breath, remember the other 99% of buyers who are decent, enjoy your selling proceeds (minus fees, argh), and keep moving forward. That's all you can do.

Also remember: There are going to be uncool people no matter where you do transactions. The CGC forum might have a better ratio, but even so, there's still the occasional conflict (the message boards have provided ample examples recently). Craigslist is riddled with not just dimwits but out-and-out criminals. The other, more comic-based auction houses also take copious fees and they don't always reach as many buyers. Etc. Nothing is perfect. With any luck, though, someday eBay will get some real competition and be forced to lower their fees and continue cleaning up their act.

Finally, I think it is worth mentioning that it's better for eBay to lean toward the buyers' rights a little heavier than toward the sellers' rights. Statistically, buyers are less likely than sellers to be scammers (yes, I am aware there are many exceptions). This is for numerous reasons: Buyers have to give their addresses, have to pony up an initial payment, etc. Better buyer safety means a better overall buying experience, which means more buyers.....which is ultimately better for sellers.

I sell on eBay as well, but I always put "I'm not a professional grader, so I'm not going to 'grade' this comic." So far it has worked for me. That way, I let the buyer decide what the condition is.

I try to write as accurate a description as possible and post pictures.

Take lots of pics, grade as accurately as possible, list all significant flaws, charge a reasonable shipping rate, package with good padding, mail quickly, stay on top of helpful communication, and in spite of doing all of the above, expect the occasional uncool person to disregard your efforts and make the experience unpleasant. And then take a deep breath, remember the other 99% of buyers who are decent, enjoy your selling proceeds (minus fees, argh), and keep moving forward. That's all you can do.

Also remember: There are going to be uncool people no matter where you do transactions. The CGC forum might have a better ratio, but even so, there's still the occasional conflict (the message boards have provided ample examples recently). Craigslist is riddled with not just dimwits but out-and-out criminals. The other, more comic-based auction houses also take fees and they don't always reach as many buyers. Etc. Nothing is perfect. With any luck, though, someday eBay will get some real competition and be forced to lower their fees and continue cleaning up their act.

Finally, I think it is worth mentioning that it's better for eBay to lean toward the buyers' rights a little heavier than toward the sellers' rights. Statistically, buyers are less likely than sellers to be scammers (yes, I am aware there are many exceptions). This is for numerous reasons: Buyers have to give their addresses, have to pony up an initial payment, etc. Better buyer safety means a better overall buying experience, which means more buyers.....which is ultimately better for sellers.

I will say Ebay is a great place to buy comics,as you can get things on the cheap! So if your a prolific reader/collector you will find lots of gems. :cloud9:

Also remember: There are going to be uncool people no matter where you do transactions. The CGC forum might have a better ratio, but even so, there's still the occasional conflict (the message boards have provided ample examples recently). Craigslist is riddled with not just dimwits but out-and-out criminals. The other, more comic-based auction houses also take fees and they don't always reach as many buyers. Etc. Nothing is perfect. With any luck, though, someday eBay will get some real competition and be forced to lower their fees and continue cleaning up their act.

I will say Ebay is a great place to buy comics,as you can get things on the cheap! So if your a prolific reader/collector you will find lots of gems. :cloud9:

Agreed. I got a Daredvil #6 CGC'd at 8.0 for $75.00 on there once. Insane.

You can take it to the max, lots of picture, detailed explaination, BUT don't issue a grade. Then they can't complain. :preach:

I sell on eBay as well, but I always put "I'm not a professional grader, so I'm not going to 'grade' this comic." So far it has worked for me. That way, I let the buyer decide what the condition is.

I try to write as accurate a description as possible and post pictures.

Personally if someone states this in their listing I will avoid it,as I'm sure many do. (shrug)

I sell on eBay as well, but I always put "I'm not a professional grader, so I'm not going to 'grade' this comic." So far it has worked for me. That way, I let the buyer decide what the condition is. I try to write as accurate a description as possible and post pictures.

That isn't a bad way to go, but in my view, it might slow down potential buyers who are looking for a quick-n-easy way to figure out the condition. Another potential problem with the whole "I'm not going to grade" approach is that in the back of some people's minds, it might come across as being suspicious or even a way to avoid disclosure. Better to give a conservative grade, or to give a ranged grade (VG- to VG) to allow yourself wiggle room.

I sell on eBay as well, but I always put "I'm not a professional grader, so I'm not going to 'grade' this comic." So far it has worked for me. That way, I let the buyer decide what the condition is. I try to write as accurate a description as possible and post pictures.

That isn't a bad way to go, but in my view, it might slow down potential buyers who are looking for a quick-n-easy way to figure out the condition. Another potential problem with the whole "I'm not going to grade" approach is that in the back of some people's minds, it might come across as being suspicious or even a way to avoid disclosure. Better to give a conservative grade, or to give a ranged grade (VG- to VG) to allow yourself wiggle room.

I didn't realize this was such a "red flag." I just say that to avoid trying qualitatively grade a comic book. This whole grading thing is so damn subjective that it almost makes little sense issue a grade. I'll try issuing a very convservative grade from now on.

I didn't realize this was such a "red flag." I just say that to avoid trying qualitatively grade a comic book. This whole grading thing is so damn subjective that it almost makes little sense issue a grade. I'll try issuing a very convservative grade from now on.

Yeah, grading can be a headache. Especially with the little angel and the little devil on each shoulder telling you how flawed or fantastic the condition is.

I am so sick of listing items only to have some loser complain or grumble about everything. The listing are basic, everything listed multiple pictures and people still complain. Then I offer a refund when the book is returned and they file with ebay leaving me with only 7 days. I am so sick of it. Ebay comic buyers suck!! Its amazing that I can sell on here and never have an issue go to ebay and the last 3 had issues and one I actually received my first negative in 1000 transactions. The problem is that ebay and PP always side with the buyer and sellers can`t even leave a negative feedback. I am so done with selling on ebay.

Ahhh rant over.

Just out of curiosity ... you sold a FANTASTIC FOUR # 48 CGC 4.0 on eBay and got a neg on that transaction - in your reply to that negative feedback, you said the book was stolen (so I'm assuming you told the buyer the book wasn't available anymore and refunded them their money).

Yet, a couple of weeks after that, you listed that same book for sale here on the boards. And, when it didn't sell, you relisted it on ebay, sold it again & got another negative.

How is that possible if the book was stolen?

http://feedback.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&ftab=FeedbackAsSeller&userid=potvin-the-cat&iid=-1&de=off&items=25&interval=0&mPg=14&page=1

Yep. Whether fair or not, that's always the first thing that pops in my mind when a seller writes that disclaimer.

Ahhh rant over.

Just out of curiosity ... you sold a FANTASTIC FOUR # 48 CGC 4.0 on eBay and got a neg on that transaction - in your reply to that negative feedback, you said the book was stolen (so I'm assuming you told the buyer the book wasn't available anymore and refunded them their money).

Yet, a couple of weeks after that, you listed that same book for sale here on the boards. And, when it didn't sell, you relisted it on ebay, sold it again & got another negative.

http://feedback.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&ftab=FeedbackAsSeller&userid=potvin-the-cat&iid=-1&de=off&items=25&interval=0&mPg=14&page=1

lol Whoops!

Ahhh rant over.

Eeep.