• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which comics are way underpriced ?

252 posts in this topic

X-Men 1 is over valued as a key. Think about it, the title did not last and was revived with 95% new characters. If GS 1 and X-Men 94 did not take off like they did Dardevil 1 would be SMOKING that book. The revamp of the X-Men saved those characters.

Well, that's one way of looking at it. Another point of view might be that Frank Miller, saved a bi-monthly book from cancellation with his great storytelling ability, introduction and death of Elektra, appropriation of Kingpin from Spidye, the great DD/Punisher storyarc, and more.

So let's all step back and come to grips that DD was clinging by a thread to a bi-monthly schedule, on the verge of cancellation, before Miller rescued the title.

Are you still so certain that DD 1 would SMOKE X-men 1?

He's right.

The point wasn't that DD was awesome from the start.

It was that if GSX1/X94 had never come along, DD would be much more popular than the original X-men run.

Without the X-Men revamp, it'd be an afterthought for most collectors.

There'd be 93 issues of some crazy book about mutants.

Granted, Marvel might be out of business without the new X-Men. But that's a different question. Would Spider-man, DD, FF, and the Avengers have kept company afloat? (shrug)

It still baffles me why ASM 1 destroys X-Men 1 price wise.

The first appearance of an extremely popular team, which includes the first appearance of Cyclops, Marvel Girl, Iceman, the Beast, Angel, Prof X, and Magneto

vs.

NOT the first appearance of Spider-man.

Can anyone explain this?

There have been threads about this before. In general, if you collect Spidey, you want a Spidey #1.

When putting together a run of X-Men, a lot of folks only complete a run of new X-Men (GS1 and Uncanny 94 being the two big books).

More people collect Spidey than X-men, especially the old team, so demand for ASM 1 exceeds X-men 1.

Spidey 1 features the 1st Chamelon, 1st Marvel x-over (the FF), 1st John Jameson (later becomes Man-Wolf), and most important of all, 1st appearance of JJJ :applause:

You're probably as biased for ASM as I am for x-men but really?!?

Chameleon, man-wolf and JJJ compared to 1st Prof.X, Magneto, cyclops, Jean Grey, Angel, beast AND Iceman?

I'm not saying ASM1 shouldn't be worth more than X-men1 but it's prettyuch twice as much. That seems a little too much to me. In my mind, they should be much closer (shrug)

I'm not saying ASM1 shouldn't be worth more than X-men1 but it's prettyuch twice as much. That seems a little too much to me. In my mind, they should be much closer (shrug)

If you look at some recent sales, the prices aren't that far apart. I believe the last two ASM #1 sales were in the $85-100K range. And a couple X-Men #1s in 9.4 sold for around $100K each. And 9.0 sales for each book have been pretty close too.

I know Overstreet has a substantial difference in the guide values ($30,000 for X-Men #1 vs. $54,000 for ASM #1) but actual sales prices tell another story.

I'm not sure I would classify any comic as being "underpriced" but there are 2 silver age books that I do consider underrated in terms of their comparative value.

The first is ASM #31. It's only been within the last decade that this issue has separated itself pricewise (according to theOSPG) from issues 32-38 and here's what you get:

Classic stylized Spider cover,

First of the 3 part Master Planner/Doc Ock trilogy, and most importantly,

Introduction of Harry Osborne, Gwen Stacy and Professor Warren. The first 2 in particular had a profound impact on the development of the Peter Parker/Spider-Man character and quite possibly the titles overall popularity.

My second choice is Fantastic Four #49. Not cheap but the least expensive part of the "Galactus trilogy" and here's what is offered:

IMO, one of Kirby's and the Silver Ages best covers,

First cover appearance of both Galactus and the Silver Surfer,

Other than 1 panel in 48, the first full appearance of Galactus, and finally,

Almost half of the actual story. Only a little more than half the pages in issue 48 are devoted to this storyline and Galactus departs mid-way thru issue 50.

FF 49 is more than FF 48 in actual CGC sales due to the fact that FF 48 was a warehouse find and there's a abundance of HG copies on the census, it's not the same for FF 49 & FF 50.

I agree, but in terms of raw books it seems like you can still pick up a #49 for less than a similarly graded 48 or 50. I know a lot of people like the cover to 50 and it is tough to find in HG but I find that cover rather boring.

Disagree here dont think its undervalued at all.

Lower printed yes and tougher to find, but not undervalued.

I totally disagree. Not only low print, but first appearance of a popular character and you can get a CGC 9.8 for $150 or less. I've seen CGC 9.8 variants of meaningless comics go for more.

So what exactly was the print run on NYX #3? I've been picking up 1st appearances of modern characters pretty cheaply but this issue that is still very modern I haven't been able to find even raw for under $90.

To be honest I don't know the print run. I was just assuming Fastball was correct. I'm surprised you can't find a raw one under $90, since you can buy CGC 9.8 copies for $125-150. Hell for 90 bucks you can easily buy a CGC 9.6 copy.

Jul-26-2011 $74 Cert# 0940766007

Jun-27-2011 $130 Cert# 0162691002

Jun-26-2011 $83 Cert# 9333434010

Jun-14-2011 $105 Cert# 0179611002

Jun-06-2011 $90 Cert# 0144718004

Jun-01-2011 $100 Cert# 0162691001

May-30-2011 $80 Cert# 0133437010

May-08-2011 $71 Cert# 0630770002

May-02-2011 $100 Cert# 0150937016

Apr-17-2011 $70 Cert# 0983068015

Apr-10-2011 $80 Cert# 0721507005

Apr-03-2011 $73 Cert# 0170869010

Mar-06-2011 $75 Cert# 0129477011

Feb-22-2011 $70 Cert# 0128228010

Feb-14-2011 $70 Cert# 0175498001

Jan-31-2011 $84 Cert# 0134539008

Jan-24-2011 $80

Jan-02-2011 $80 Cert# 0976524005

Jan-01-2011 $77 Cert# 0629610029

I am not disagreeing this book is selling well lately and will continue to sell well in the near future. I just dont think its undervalued and really unless there is some push by Marvel I see it becoming the next Uncanny 266. Hot for a few years then stagnant. The only difference would be a lower print run. This character isnt Deadpool and until it can carry titles like that character can I dont think it deserves the money its getting right now. If I had copies I would be flipping now. BTW you can get VF/NM to NM copies for $50-70 right now just not on ebay. Look around.

Really if NYX does hold its value then Wolverine Origins 10 should be a blockbuster in a few years as well. It seems to follow the same logic with a slightly higher print run.

I am not disagreeing this book is selling well lately and will continue to sell well in the near future. I just dont think its undervalued and really unless there is some push by Marvel I see it becoming the next Uncanny 266. Hot for a few years then stagnant. The only difference would be a lower print run. This character isnt Deadpool and until it can carry titles like that character can I dont think it deserves the money its getting right now. If I had copies I would be flipping now. BTW you can get VF/NM to NM copies for $50-70 right now just not on ebay. Look around.

Really if NYX does hold its value then Wolverine Origins 10 should be a blockbuster in a few years as well. It seems to follow the same logic with a slightly higher print run.

I think you missed the point I was making. I was saying you should easily be able to pick up a raw copy for under $90 in response to Baron saying he's had a hard time finding a cheap one.

If you want to get technical, no comic is over or under priced since it's driven by supply and demand. I guess you could say comics that have a potential for increase or decrease in value could be considered over or under accordingly.

I'm probably biased because I really like the X23 character and her origin can be had for really cheap. I'm noticing a slight decline in price lately. In my opinion NYX 3 has big long term potential, say over ten or twenty years. I don't think X23 is going away anytime soon and I don't think she's seen her true potential in the Marvel world.

This is pure speculation on my part, and no doubt others will say I'm crazy, and they could be right.

Granted, Marvel might be out of business without the new X-Men. But that's a different question. Would Spider-man, DD, FF, and the Avengers have kept company afloat? (shrug)

Yes.

I agree, but in terms of raw books it seems like you can still pick up a #49 for less than a similarly graded 48 or 50. I know a lot of people like the cover to 50 and it is tough to find in HG but I find that cover rather boring.

FF 49 is one of the greatest covers ever. You're right, 50 is very tame in comparision.

Btw, WTTB :applause:

I think you missed the point I was making. I was saying you should easily be able to pick up a raw copy for under $90 in response to Baron saying he's had a hard time finding a cheap one.

If you want to get technical, no comic is over or under priced since it's driven by supply and demand. I guess you could say comics that have a potential for increase or decrease in value could be considered over or under accordingly.

I'm probably biased because I really like the X23 character and her origin can be had for really cheap. I'm noticing a slight decline in price lately. In my opinion NYX 3 has big long term potential, say over ten or twenty years. I don't think X23 is going away anytime soon and I don't think she's seen her true potential in the Marvel world.

This is pure speculation on my part, and no doubt others will say I'm crazy, and they could be right.

I completely agree with you X-23 is a great character, she does have an on going series right now.

If you look at some recent sales, the prices aren't that far apart. I believe the last two ASM #1 sales were in the $85-100K range. And a couple X-Men #1s in 9.4 sold for around $100K each. And 9.0 sales for each book have been pretty close too.

I know Overstreet has a substantial difference in the guide values ($30,000 for X-Men #1 vs. $54,000 for ASM #1) but actual sales prices tell another story.

I was looking qt GPA when i wrote that and they seem to have a pretty big disparity between the 2 (shrug)

Last GPA sales for the 2:

6.0-x-men1($3585 July2011) VS. ASM1($6000 Dec.2010)

7.0- x-men1($4481'July2011) vs. ASM1($11,500'August2011)

8.5- x-men 1( $16,400 April 2011) VS. ASM1($29,875 feb.2011)

9.0- x-men1 ($25,752 Feb.2011) vs. ASM1($38,838 August2011)

The nosebleed grades are pretty close but basically every grade from 9.0 down you have to plunk down a heck of a lot more money for a ASM1.

Shhhhhhhh! guys please I need to get an X-men #1 before everyone starts buying this gem,so don't talk it up too much.SHHHH.jpg

Well, what the hell are you waiting for man?!? :baiting:

Seriously though, i doubt prices will ever plummet on it(at least not any time soon) and now seems to be a pretty good time. The last couple 7.0-8.5 #1's I've seen go in the comiclink auctions seemed like they went pretty cheap IMO.

I was looking qt GPA when i wrote that and they seem to have a pretty big disparity between the 2 (shrug)

Last GPA sales for the 2:

6.0-x-men1($3585 July2011) VS. ASM1($6000 Dec.2010)

7.0- x-men1($4481'July2011) vs. ASM1($11,500'August2011)

8.5- x-men 1( $16,400 April 2011) VS. ASM1($29,875 feb.2011)

9.0- x-men1 ($25,752 Feb.2011) vs. ASM1($38,838 August2011)

The nosebleed grades are pretty close but basically every grade from 9.0 down you have to plunk down a heck of a lot more money for a ASM1.

ASM is more sought after in ALL grades, how many dealers have you seen on here declare that mid-grade ASM's sell at shows? Some of that is likely due to the nosebleed prices on uber grades but even though the set is dismissed sometimes here as "easy" to complete - that is because they are popular. ASM is likely more common than most other Marvel Silver but I bet dealers grab ASM's at a higher percentage of guide because they move well.

I think in valiantman's recent thread over 10% of all CGC books were from the ASM run alone; that doesn't include AF15, the slab-friendly Ultimate run, the most submitted book ever ('90 MacFarlane's #1 w/variants) or the other #1's that were most slabbed for their year (Web/PPTSS)

In my opinion it is unfair to compare any book's price with ASM books in the last five years; if you want to compare your X-men to a non-first appearance #1 from the silver age, compare it to Avengers.

:makepoint:

:baiting:

Shhhhhhhh! guys please I need to get an X-men #1 before everyone starts buying this gem,so don't talk it up too much.SHHHH.jpg

Seriously though, i doubt prices will ever plummet on it(at least not any time soon) and now seems to be a pretty good time. The last couple 7.0-8.5 #1's I've seen go in the comiclink auctions seemed like they went pretty cheap IMO.

I know right! My wife keeps telling me we have to pay for stupid sheit like the mortgage,electricity. :whatev:

I know right! My wife keeps telling me we have to pay for stupid sheit like the mortgage,electricity. :whatev:

Man, you gotta set her priorities straight!!! :baiting:

It's COMICS, mortgage, electricity, whatever... :makepoint:

Man, you gotta set her priorities straight!!! :baiting:

It's COMICS, mortgage, electricity, whatever... :makepoint:

Amen brother ^^

X-Men 1 is over valued as a key. Think about it, the title did not last and was revived with 95% new characters. If GS 1 and X-Men 94 did not take off like they did Dardevil 1 would be SMOKING that book. The revamp of the X-Men saved those characters.

Well, that's one way of looking at it. Another point of view might be that Frank Miller, saved a bi-monthly book from cancellation with his great storytelling ability, introduction and death of Elektra, appropriation of Kingpin from Spidye, the great DD/Punisher storyarc, and more.

So let's all step back and come to grips that DD was clinging by a thread to a bi-monthly schedule, on the verge of cancellation, before Miller rescued the title.

Are you still so certain that DD 1 would SMOKE X-men 1?

He's right.

The point wasn't that DD was awesome from the start.

It was that if GSX1/X94 had never come along, DD would be much more popular than the original X-men run.

Well, I suppose we can agree to disagree. I really don't see how DD could have SMOKED the X-men. DD was never a top seller until Miller came along, and I don't think he was "much more popular than the original X-men run".

Furthermore, how on Earth did you ever come to speculate that Marvel might be out of business without the new X-Men?

Avengers Annual #10 - First Appearance of Rogue

She's a pretty big character, and that book is starting to get a bit older. (1981, I believe). I'm surprised it hasn't gone up in value.

Good call, lots of nice copies available too. I recall one eBay seller that had warehouse stock slabbed and I picked up an 8.5 for something like $19 shipped. It now hangs in my wife's office (her favorite character)