• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which comics are way underpriced ?

252 posts in this topic

On a similar note, I believe Marvel Team-Up #141 is underpriced in comparison to ASM 252. Same significance, except the obvious difference that ASM 252 has the AF 15 cover swipe and the first true story, even though MTU 141 was printed in the same month.
If I remember correctly it also shipped the same week or the week before ASM 252.

Spidey #252 came out Thursday 2/4/84. MTU #141 came out 3 weeks later. I remember cause Joe from Village Comic Art wouldn't let me purchase more than 5 copies. :( Also, it was on my birthday.

Excellent. Thanks for the confirmation. :)

(thumbs u

th_290-1.jpg th_261-1.jpg th_255-1.jpg th_19-1.jpg th_17-1.jpg th_1-1.jpg

Been putting to put together a run of High grade Bronze and Copper HOM and these issues are impossible to find in HG plus that issue #290 starts the very popular "I.....Vampire" series. Same goes for these two Batman Family issues. Great covers by Kaluta and inside art by Golden. The Dollar Comics are a quarter inch taller than regular comics so again, finding HG copies are a hassle, couple that with two great artists and yiu have a tough find. The Superman vs. Spider-Man is a no brainer. There was a time when HG copies were readily available but now they are absorbed into collections. Also, the very odd size made keeping a nice copy nearly impossible. I'm under the impression that if CGC ever slapped treasuries that a 9.8 or higher would bring major bucks.

Had to come out of a long retirement just to +1 this post - latter HOMs are IMPOSSIBLE in high grade. Same with the last year or so of House of Secrets and G.I. Combat, Weird War Tales, et al. Tough, tough books.

Dollar Comics - don't get me started. Been looking for a nice first HOM Dollar Comic for about 6 years now...

Charlton Comics. Charltons are vastly under-rated and under- valued. A lot of them are very tough to find in high grade. A lot of Charltons are scarce especially in the 1980's. Artists like Steve Ditko and Tom Sutton did some of their best work at Charlton. Some great superheroes started at Charlton and now part of the DC universe. Big name pros got their start at Charlton. Charlton comics do not rate the value as other comics from the same time period.

Charlton Comics. Charltons are vastly under-rated and under- valued. A lot of them are very tough to find in high grade. A lot of Charltons are scarce especially in the 1980's. Artists like Steve Ditko and Tom Sutton did some of their best work at Charlton. Some great superheroes started at Charlton and now part of the DC universe. Big name pros got their start at Charlton. Charlton comics do not rate the value as other comics from the same time period.

Sorry to disagree, but Ditko did his best work for Warren. :sumo:

X-men 1

I never understand why its basically worth half as much as ASM1 (shrug)

X-men are pretty much just as popular as Spidey at this point and it's their actual 1st appearance(and magneto's) unlike ASM1.

Very true. Prices have gone up a bit since the movie came out, but it's been rather stagnant for years...

Spidey has had far longer sustained popularity than X-Men. Someday, X-Men 1 may catch up, or not. (shrug)

I just won this at Heritage for $75 ($89 w/BP). I can't believe there's so little interest in this book. It's been reprinted at least twice that I know of. It's also a very modern take on Bats as well (complete badass loner).

swampthing7.jpg

Next to Neal Adams, I can't think of any other BA artist who had worked on Bats during that time that holds as much collectable weight as Bernie Wrightson.

X-men 1

X-men are pretty much just as popular as Spidey at this point and it's their actual 1st appearance(and magneto's) unlike ASM1.

Very true. Prices have gone up a bit since the movie came out, but it's been rather stagnant for years...

Spidey has had far longer sustained popularity than X-Men. Someday, X-Men 1 may catch up, or not. (shrug)

X-Men will always have the problem that it's basically a failed comic.

The original team are pretty insufferable (and still to this day).

Magneto's the only saving grace.

Avengers Annual #10 - First Appearance of Rogue

She's a pretty big character, and that book is starting to get a bit older. (1981, I believe). I'm surprised it hasn't gone up in value.

It is already wayyyyyy expensive in OPG.

It was a big time speculation book at the time, with a couple of local dealers around me purportedly ordering 5-10,000 extra copies or something like that. Not saying it isn't a good book, not saying it should be a $1 book, but it's something like $65 or $70 in OPG in 9.2, which is already way high. DD 181 is in the same boat. X-Men 137 was also a big speculation book as well (but I don't think as much and those copies probably got absorbed by the market a long time ago).

Yes, there's a lot, and yes, there's a lot of high grade, but there are really only about 100 Copper Marvels and DCs that sell for more than cover pice, and this era is an absolute cornucopia of classic storylines and keys.

----------

I think a lot of 80's DCs/Marvels will sell for more than their cover prices if bagged, boarded and they look like 9.4-9.8 in the bag. I can see a lot of this stuff moving well out of a dollar box in nice shape (heck, even $2 boxes, maybe). Particularly 50 and 60 cent cover pricers. ASM, Batman, early Wolvies and X-Men in particular, some of those DDs definitely, Iron Mans, Avengers...the list goes on. Actually, the ASMs generally go for well over that already.

Or do we now have copper starting in 1988 or something?

I just won this at Heritage for $75 ($89 w/BP). I can't believe there's so little interest in this book. It's been reprinted at least twice that I know of. It's also a very modern take on Bats as well (complete badass loner).

swampthing7.jpg

Next to Neal Adams, I can't think of any other BA artist who had worked on Bats during that time that holds as much collectable weight as Bernie Wrightson.

Like all the Wrightson Swamp Things, it's very common, even in 9.6. Issue 7 is a favorite of many fans (including myself) but due to it being so easy to attain in HG it no longer garners big money. Maybe in 9.9....

X-men 1

X-Men will always have the problem that it's basically a failed comic.

The original team are pretty insufferable (and still to this day).

Magneto's the only saving grace.

Majority of collectors consider GS Xmen 1 and Xmen 94 as the Xmen keys and

ignore Xmen 1.

DD 1 and X-Men 1 came out a bit after ASM 1. The Marvel buzz was starting at least among some sophisticated 12 year olds. I don't know what the census #s are, but I suspect more of each issue wound up getting saved than ASM 1.

Disagree here dont think its undervalued at all.

Lower printed yes and tougher to find, but not undervalued.

I totally disagree. Not only low print, but first appearance of a popular character and you can get a CGC 9.8 for $150 or less. I've seen CGC 9.8 variants of meaningless comics go for more.

So what exactly was the print run on NYX #3? I've been picking up 1st appearances of modern characters pretty cheaply but this issue that is still very modern I haven't been able to find even raw for under $90.

Disagree here dont think its undervalued at all.

Lower printed yes and tougher to find, but not undervalued.

I totally disagree. Not only low print, but first appearance of a popular character and you can get a CGC 9.8 for $150 or less. I've seen CGC 9.8 variants of meaningless comics go for more.

So what exactly was the print run on NYX #3? I've been picking up 1st appearances of modern characters pretty cheaply but this issue that is still very modern I haven't been able to find even raw for under $90.

It's a pretty big run. I want to say at least 40k?