• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which comics are way underpriced ?

252 posts in this topic

X-men 1

I never understand why its basically worth half as much as ASM1 (shrug)

X-men are pretty much just as popular as Spidey at this point and it's their actual 1st appearance(and magneto's) unlike ASM1.

Very true. Prices have gone up a bit since the movie came out, but it's been rather stagnant for years...

Spidey has had far longer sustained popularity than X-Men. Someday, X-Men 1 may catch up, or not. (shrug)

X-Men will always have the problem that it's basically a failed comic.

The original team are pretty insufferable (and still to this day).

Magneto's the only saving grace.

Majority of collectors consider GS Xmen 1 and Xmen 94 as the Xmen keys and

ignore Xmen 1.

I am one. X-Men 1 is over valued as a key. Think about it, the title did not last and was revived with 95% new characters. If GS 1 and X-Men 94 did not take off like they did Dardevil 1 would be SMOKING that book. The revamp of the X-Men saved those characters.

Uncanny X-men 129 1st White Queen

While OS has it pretty high with all X books from that time frame it doesnt

get the resale value it deserves. Just judging from ebay lately.

All the new X-Books are over valued in ospg. How many are guide books in anything BUT UHG.

How about some Starlin magic around the "death" of Warlock and the defeat of Thanos.

Avengers annual 7 and marvel two in one annual 2 (I believe)

One of my favorites of all time. Great story and great art. Plus I am a science geek if they threw a black hole in that story I would have evolved.

I stopped collecting in 1980. Started up again around 2008. Back in the day I had near-complete runs of all Marvel heroes, but Avengers Annual 7 was the first book I (re)bought. Always loved that one.

X-men 1

X-men are pretty much just as popular as Spidey at this point and it's their actual 1st appearance(and magneto's) unlike ASM1.

Very true. Prices have gone up a bit since the movie came out, but it's been rather stagnant for years...

Spidey has had far longer sustained popularity than X-Men. Someday, X-Men 1 may catch up, or not. (shrug)

ignore Xmen 1.

I am one. X-Men 1 is over valued as a key. Think about it, the title did not last and was revived with 95% new characters. If GS 1 and X-Men 94 did not take off like they did Dardevil 1 would be SMOKING that book. The revamp of the X-Men saved those characters.

Really?

I love X-men #1.

Questions: How many of the original Avengers characters are still Avengers? How about JLA et al for other super teams?

Disagree here dont think its undervalued at all.

Lower printed yes and tougher to find, but not undervalued.

I totally disagree. Not only low print, but first appearance of a popular character and you can get a CGC 9.8 for $150 or less. I've seen CGC 9.8 variants of meaningless comics go for more.

So what exactly was the print run on NYX #3? I've been picking up 1st appearances of modern characters pretty cheaply but this issue that is still very modern I haven't been able to find even raw for under $90.

To be honest I don't know the print run. I was just assuming Fastball was correct. I'm surprised you can't find a raw one under $90, since you can buy CGC 9.8 copies for $125-150. Hell for 90 bucks you can easily buy a CGC 9.6 copy.

Jul-26-2011 $74 Cert# 0940766007

Jun-27-2011 $130 Cert# 0162691002

Jun-26-2011 $83 Cert# 9333434010

Jun-14-2011 $105 Cert# 0179611002

Jun-06-2011 $90 Cert# 0144718004

Jun-01-2011 $100 Cert# 0162691001

May-30-2011 $80 Cert# 0133437010

May-08-2011 $71 Cert# 0630770002

May-02-2011 $100 Cert# 0150937016

Apr-17-2011 $70 Cert# 0983068015

Apr-10-2011 $80 Cert# 0721507005

Apr-03-2011 $73 Cert# 0170869010

Mar-06-2011 $75 Cert# 0129477011

Feb-22-2011 $70 Cert# 0128228010

Feb-14-2011 $70 Cert# 0175498001

Jan-31-2011 $84 Cert# 0134539008

Jan-24-2011 $80

Jan-02-2011 $80 Cert# 0976524005

Jan-01-2011 $77 Cert# 0629610029

After Daredevil #1.

That's another one I wonder why people don't like :shrug:

I love him. Especially in Born Again.

But...

Daredevil came after X-Men/FF/ASM so people were already invested into these characters. The sells were of relative success but the title never caught onto that superhero hype during that period of time. Yo can get early high grade issues with ease and without hitting your pocket book. Maybe if JR SR stayed on as artist it would have became more popular? (shrug) However, Gene Colan did some awesome works.

I think he is an underrated character. For sure.

X-men 1

ignore Xmen 1.

Really?

I love X-men #1.

Questions: How many of the original Avengers characters are still Avengers? How about JLA et al for other super teams?

+1

It's still the 1st appearance of Prof. X and Magneto. A lot of those other guys may be 2nd tier but the 1st appearance of Cyclops, Jean Grey, Iceman, Beast AND Angel seems pretty big time to me. Regardless of the revamp with GS1, no way would DD be "smoking" that book imo. At absolute best, it might be on par with it but no way would it be much more valuable.

Even if the major players have changed, the 1st appearance of by far the most popular team in the Marvel Universe is a major, MAJOR book in my eyes.

I thought every Marvel character that wasn't in FF or X-Men were in the Avengers by default.

I thought every Marvel character that wasn't in FF or X-Men were in the Avengers by default.

Pretty much at one point or another (thumbs u

It still baffles me why ASM 1 destroys X-Men 1 price wise.

The first appearance of an extremely popular team, which includes the first appearance of Cyclops, Marvel Girl, Iceman, the Beast, Angel, Prof X, and Magneto

vs.

NOT the first appearance of Spider-man.

Can anyone explain this?

The first appearance of an extremely popular team, which includes the first appearance of Cyclops, Marvel Girl, Iceman, the Beast, Angel, Prof X, and Magneto

vs.

Can anyone explain this?

I cant (shrug)

Thats what i said at the beginning of the thread. Imo, they should be about on par with each other but Xmen1 is worth about half as much. I get that the original X-men werent very popular but most of those original characters played LARGE roles in the movies and the popularity. Again, its the 1st appearance of without question the most popular team in comic history even if most of the players have changed.

vs.

Can anyone explain this?

It's the first appearance of the number one Marvel character in his own title.

vs.

Can anyone explain this?

X-Men #1 = first appearance of X Factor. That's why

vs.

Can anyone explain this?

There have been threads about this before. In general, if you collect Spidey, you want a Spidey #1.

When putting together a run of X-Men, a lot of folks only complete a run of new X-Men (GS1 and Uncanny 94 being the two big books).

More people collect Spidey than X-men, especially the old team, so demand for ASM 1 exceeds X-men 1.

Spidey 1 features the 1st Chamelon, 1st Marvel x-over (the FF), 1st John Jameson (later becomes Man-Wolf), and most important of all, 1st appearance of JJJ :applause:

vs.

Can anyone explain this?

Here's my (probably too simple) answer:

Peter Parker (and hence Spider-Man) is a likable guy.

He's entertaining, generally means well, and people can relate to him.

The original X-men are just impossible to like. They might've been okay in issue #1, but the writers have done them no favors over the years. Scott is an individual_without_enough_empathy. Bobby's an individual_without_enough_empathy. Warren's a rich individual_without_enough_empathy. Jean is flat out evil. And modern Hank is almost unrecognizable compared to his X-Men 1 version.

Doesn't help that Prof X is a pacifist and Magneto's basically a terrorist.

X-Men 1 is over valued as a key. Think about it, the title did not last and was revived with 95% new characters. If GS 1 and X-Men 94 did not take off like they did Dardevil 1 would be SMOKING that book. The revamp of the X-Men saved those characters.

Well, that's one way of looking at it. Another point of view might be that Frank Miller, saved a bi-monthly book from cancellation with his great storytelling ability, introduction and death of Elektra, appropriation of Kingpin from Spidye, the great DD/Punisher storyarc, and more.

So let's all step back and come to grips that DD was clinging by a thread to a bi-monthly schedule, on the verge of cancellation, before Miller rescued the title.

Are you still so certain that DD 1 would SMOKE X-men 1?