• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

There IS a market for ultra rare Copper books...

51 posts in this topic

But, you see, your statement demonstrates the point.

No price...for ANYTHING...is insane if the buyer is willing to pay it.

Especially if the buyer has no other option (which they clearly have not had.)

If this was the ony and only item you needed to complete your collection, would you let it nag you for years, or would you recognize that the completion of the task provides a gargantuan sense of accomplishment which is hard to put a price tag on?

As things go, it's not even in the top 100 of prices paid for books of the era. Remember...people, multiple, paid $2500 for Harby #1. $225 for the impossible isn't really all that much.

By the way...someone offered $25 for it. lol That always makes me laugh. If someone puts something up for $300, why would ANYONE imagine, for a second, that they're interested in selling it for 92% off their asking price?

;)

Before I flat out filtered BIN auctions I used to make super lowball offers to people who had prices jacked up crazy high on semi-rare stuff. The kind of stuff that sells once every couple months in the $60 range with a handful of BIN's in the $300 range. I used to send them $50 offers. Not expecting anything out of it though. The price on that Prime comic doesn't seem out of line though considering it's that rare and even though most Ultraverse comics aren't worth anything anymore they were at one time hot and still have a lot of people collecting. Did the winner pay the full BIN or was that an offer you excepted?

The only reason I (and most of the guys over at the "Dead Universe" section on the valiantfans board) even collect these "Dead Universe" sets is the idea that they are cheap, so it's inexpensive to collect a set of them. Paying a huge price for the rare items really defeats the purpose of collecting them for me, so you won't see me paying that kind of money for any of the rarer "Dead Universe" books. So I guess the answer to the question you posed is, yes, I would let it nag me for years, just being one book away from being complete.

I guess there's always going to be someone who wants to pay a premium for a rare book to complete a set, I remember some of the sky high bids that were thrown out on some of the Valiant items, like the Eternal Warrior #27 VVSS book. It just makes more sense for me and my collection to wait and be patient and get the book when it eventually shows up at a cheap price (if it ever does).

Before I flat out filtered BIN auctions I used to make super lowball offers to people who had prices jacked up crazy high on semi-rare stuff. The kind of stuff that sells once every couple months in the $60 range with a handful of BIN's in the $300 range. I used to send them $50 offers. Not expecting anything out of it though.

Sure, but there's a big difference between sending a $50 offer for something that routinely sells for $60, but is priced at $300, and an item that has been offered for sale maybe twice in the last 10 years.

Or, an item that routinely sells for $250, and is priced at $300, for which people STILL make $25 offers.

The price on that Prime comic doesn't seem out of line though considering it's that rare and even though most Ultraverse comics aren't worth anything anymore they were at one time hot and still have a lot of people collecting. Did the winner pay the full BIN or was that an offer you excepted?

BIN was $300, I had the auto-reject set at $200. By the way, the buyer made an offer of $150, then $180, then $225. They've already paid.

:cloud9:

By the by...if no one paid my offer, I was ok with that. I've owned the books for 10 years, and have no problem holding them for another 10, 20, 30, whatever. i'm happier owning them than giving them away for less than I think they are worth.

Congrats on the sale!

I had no idea that book was so rare...how do you tell the difference between a gold and a silver copy...they seem very similar?

Yes, in hand, they look completely different. The gold and silver are very obvious in person.

Congrats on the sale! I love rarities and books that are tough in grade. I've been through 1000's of long boxes and I've never seen that book in any of them or offered for sale at a show, so whether or not anyone else thinks it of value, it is legit. If I was in the market for that book I'd have been salivating.

Congrats on the sale! I love rarities and books that are tough in grade. I've been through 1000's of long boxes and I've never seen that book in any of them or offered for sale at a show, so whether or not anyone else thinks it of value, it is legit. If I was in the market for that book I'd have been salivating.

I've been looking at some of your books, too! You have some very nice rarities!

Yeah, and the person who paid $2,500 for a Harbinger 1 was dumb. Ditto the folks who paid for the first 9.8 copies of books like Hero For Hire 1 from 20 years earlier, only to see the value plummet by 80% when more copies emerged.

I'm 16 books away from a Valiant/Acclaim set (including all variants). And I will never be done, because, while I could see paying market for the others, I refuse to pay the money required for a Bloodshot 0 Platinum.

Yeah, and the person who paid $2,500 for a Harbinger 1 was dumb. Ditto the folks who paid for the first 9.8 copies of books like Hero For Hire 1 from 20 years earlier, only to see the value plummet by 80% when more copies emerged.

I'm 16 books away from a Valiant/Acclaim set (including all variants). And I will never be done, because, while I could see paying market for the others, I refuse to pay the money required for a Bloodshot 0 Platinum.

I am not saying I disagree with you, because I don't. But one thing that always gets discounted in these types of discussions is the value of being an "early adopter." No one bashes folks for paying top dollar for new technology, even though a lot of people won't pay the money and wait until the inevitable price drop to get in on the new technology.

Why so much vitriol for those who "must have" the first UHG certified copies of comics? Isn't there some factor to having the first or the only, at least for a while? And doesn't that count for something, especially since it is their money?

There were multiple people who paid $2500 for Harby #1, not just one.

As far as being "dumb", it may in fact be a bad investment...but not everyone buys things because they want a return on their money (witness M Night Shyamalan films still being made.) Nobody knows the future. There might STILL only have been 20 copies of Harby #1 in 9.8. Nobody knew the census would triple.

And though this doesn't get brought up a lot, the reality is that life is finite, and for some people, the thrill of completion during that lifetime is far more important than what it may cost. When will the opportunity to own XX come up again? Who knows. People collect things partly because there's a psychological reward in completing collections, however that is defined. Very few people have pride in the phrase "complete collection, except..."

Louis Eliasberg Sr put together a complete collection of every single coin (then known) ever minted by the US Mint. As he got further and further, his goal became more and more well known, and he had to pay some ridiculous prices for the last coins in the set.

But you know what? He did it. And he enjoyed his complete collection for 25 years. And he's the only person to have done it. And his coins sold for vastly more than he purchased them for after he died.

The guy who bought the first Harby #1 for $2550 off eBay STILL doesn't regret it. You cannot put a price on that kind of satisfaction.

But one thing that always gets discounted in these types of discussions is the value of being an "early adopter." No one bashes folks for paying top dollar for new technology, even though a lot of people won't pay the money and wait until the inevitable price drop to get in on the new technology.

That's a great comparison. (thumbs u

Yeah, and the person who paid $2,500 for a Harbinger 1 was dumb.

Just imagine if this fellow was a board member, who proudly bought this book due to his love of Valiant and what it achieved.

By the way, where's Valiantman at? :eek: