• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Price list for Playboy
1 1

38 posts in this topic

Anyone know where I can get a price list for Playboy. Helping a friend who has a few years complete and think they are from 60's/70's with a few older ones and some newer ones like the Jimmy Hoffa one.

Thanks.

:)

IME, there is no definitive pricing for Playboys. The range is so unpredictable that it's a matter of a price finding a buyer that is willing to pay it.

I've seen issues from the '50s through current selling for pennies, and I've seen them sell for dollars.

IMO, it's a buyers market *IF* you're patient. Aside from the first two or three years, you can put a full run together on the cheap. You just have to be patient.

Good luck if you're selling. If you're in a hurry for the money, you'll get almost nothing for them. If you're not in a hurry, you'll be years selling a few issues at a time.

IME, there is no definitive pricing for Playboys. The range is so unpredictable that it's a matter of a price finding a buyer that is willing to pay it.

I've seen issues from the '50s through current selling for pennies, and I've seen them sell for dollars.

IMO, it's a buyers market *IF* you're patient. Aside from the first two or three years, you can put a full run together on the cheap. You just have to be patient.

Good luck if you're selling. If you're in a hurry for the money, you'll get almost nothing for them. If you're not in a hurry, you'll be years selling a few issues at a time.

100% in agreement. I had about half a decade from the 60's that I sold individually on eBay about 8 years ago. Even then I only got less than $5 a piece.

Craiglist is full of full collections also.

I am waiting for the day to arrive when Overstreet takes the initiative to create an official price guide for both Playboy and Sport Illustrated magazines and any other titles that CGC decides to include in its grading services in the future. For the time being I, will have to keep my eyes on future CGC graded Playboy magazines that get sold in auctions like Heritage, E-bay and so on to determine a fair market value of my PB #1.

116206.jpg.729528c3a55f74cce9c518a6f68dcba4.jpg

Edited by Detective007

My real concern with determinig an accurate and fair value of a Playboy magazine. Is when you put into account that it was pressed by Classics Incoporated and graded by CGC like my Marilyn #1.

That's some really unusual sentence structure. You've got going there.

P.S. Awesome magazine.

So no one knows?

The first one with Monroe goes for thousands, but the others really don`t have much juice.

I had the Bo Derek one and couldn`t even get $5 for it. :sick:

Trekkers don't mind digging to pay for the Denise Crosby issue. Well, before the internet - that is.

As a 40+ year collector of Playboy Magazine, I wouldn't set my sights too high on retiring off of the magazine's selling prices.  I'm not sure where some of these "experts" get the idea that common magazines of the 80's or 90's would be worth thousands of dollars.  As an example: the August 1993 issue with Pamela Anderson & Dan Akroyd on the cover.  Some say it's worth $5-6000.00. You can buy as many copies as you want on Ebay for less than $25.00 each...with free shipping!  Now, if it was signed by HH, Pam, and Dan, had signature certification, and CGC graded a "10" it might be worth a few hundred...maybe $1000.00...MAYBE.  The highest premiums are going to be paid on the pre-1960 issues.    

The first 2 or three issues (Dec. 1953 -Feb. 1954) and the Bettie Page issue (Jan. 1955) in VERY GOOD + to FINE condition, ungraded,  will fetch a pretty good price...maybe $3000.00 to $5000.00.  The cleaner the copy, the higher the price.  Graded ones...say 6.5 or higher should bring even a better price.  For these premium issues, grading may be worth the cost as the value increase should more than cover it. The value of later issues drops off considerably after that. 

I saw 2 first issues on Ebay, signed by HH, CGC graded 9.2 & 9.6 listed at almost 1/2 million dollars.  Granted, those are probably the best copies in existence, but I think the seller has some very high expectations.  As the old saying goes " it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it".  He/she may be sitting on that one for a while.

10 hours ago, evilskip said:

A couple of months ago a friend of my brother sold his Playboy collection at HA. They were all slabbed, and I think 1 & 2 were at least 9.6. Only one of the set was under 9.2. Anyway, the first 20 issues sold for a total of $77000.

That's quite impressive!