• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Yard Sale (comics)

14 posts in this topic

Every year my little 6 square block neighborhood we have a neighborhood yeard sale. Last year i dragged out 3 longies of comics and made about $15-25 in sales ($1 each, $13 for $10... though by the end of the day I was at 50 cents each) in an otherwise pretty active yardsale (probably did about $260-$280).

This year (with the threat of rain, local subway service shut down, not as good a selection of chatchkas on the tables and it being 9/11) we did about $160-$180, but $90+ of that was comics.

Aside from someone who bought a stack of early 90's post MCFarlane non-keys spideys, most of what sold was 12 - 30 cent cover price books. I tossed a bunch of water stained beaters in there that I had picked up in a group of about 200 low grade books I bought for 3 for $2 and when I got home realized that some were just too ugly for me to keep, so it's not like I was making much money on these sales. I guess with comics in the news there are more people out there looking for "old" comics they think are worth something. If I had more of them I would have sold more of them. If only there was a way I could get 15/20 cent cover price books for cover price I might actually make some money.

when you think about the cost to keep them around, you may be better off donating them for a tax deduction...

CAL who watches the $$$

Or just destroy them. Something about taking the scissors to or just ripping in pieces a comic book thats in super bad shape, does wonders for your spirit :popcorn:

when you think about the cost to keep them around, you may be better off donating them for a tax deduction...

CAL who watches the $$$

Or just destroy them. Something about taking the scissors to or just ripping in pieces a comic book thats in super bad shape, does wonders for your spirit :popcorn:

that does not compute...

CAL in his usual" what does that say about us" mode...

CAL who watches the $$$

i have plenty of moderns with $1-$5 cover prices to do that with that will be easier get the goodwill people to assign a decent value to vs. water stained 35-40 year old comics that are falling apart.

I am almost always willing to take a beat up 12 center for 50 cents to a dollar. I know this book was well loved (well, at least I like to think it was). I know when I was a kid, we traded coverless beaters just like they were new. And they got coverless QUICK!!! If I do take scissors to an old book, it is usually to do some sort of a project or collage or something. Beater or not, I still love them.

CAL who watches the $$$

Yikes. I really don't see how. To each his own, I guess.

I had a garage sale about 2 months ago,and put out 8 short boxes along with all our trinkets for sale.I put a .25c price tag per book of moderns with full runs,did'nt get many lookers.Then almost near the end of the day a guy and his kid came up,looked at a few of the books and asked what I wanted for the whole deal.I made 350 dollars for the comics and cleaned out a nice sized chunk of modern books that I did'nt need. (thumbs u

I had a garage sale about 2 months ago,and put out 8 short boxes along with all our trinkets for sale.I put a .25c price tag per book of moderns with full runs,did'nt get many lookers.Then almost near the end of the day a guy and his kid came up,looked at a few of the books and asked what I wanted for the whole deal.I made 350 dollars for the comics and cleaned out a nice sized chunk of modern books that I did'nt need. (thumbs u

no such luck for me, but I did sell about 3500 cherry picked 1985-1991 or so baseball cards to a lady and her kids for $15. that was pretty exciting. only about 10,000 more to go.

I signed up to sell at a flea market being put on by a local kids athletics group. They get the money from the tables, we get what we sell. I've been culling the herd to sell at a buck a piece, may lower the prices depending on how it goes. Maybe I'll get some older books now too, or some baseball cards too.

CAL who watches the $$$

lol I love how you give a self narrative after every post. I mean it's without fail on every single post! I finally had to say something.

Paratrooper who likes CAL's style

with that said, what's the cost for me of keeping them around? (other than the time value of money for whatever tax deduction I haven't taken yet) it's not like i don't have the space. it's just another 3 boxes of krap in my garage.