• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wondercon report

99 posts in this topic

i met all the big playaz and BSD's(brulato, ewert, CGC employees, shawn, paul, harshen, and of course sborock.) at the con today. angel.gif they're all cool and polite, aria giovanna and jim steranko declined a pic. foreheadslap.gif aria wanted $5 for a pic, i was like CHA! 893whatthe.gif whatever, it was just for rickdogg.....i don't even find her HOT! foreheadslap.gif i just wanted a pic for the fanboys not like a pic with me and her. confused.gif jim steranko didn't want his picture taken, me and him have a lot in in common......i don't blame him. laugh.gif anyways the con was awesome, toby maguire will be there tomorrow, so it will be a mad house. thumbsup2.gif met lighthouse, 4gemworks, jim94, POV, sffantasybono and his g-friend, and many others. laugh.gif it was good time to be had, i wish i could tell you all more, but what stays with the con stays in the con. devil.gif

i met all the big playaz and BSD's(brulato, ewert, CGC employees, shawn, paul, harshen, and of course sborock.) at the con today. angel.gif they're all cool and polite, aria giovanna and jim steranko declined a pic. foreheadslap.gif aria wanted $5 for a pic, i was like CHA! 893whatthe.gif whatever, it was just for rickdogg.....i don't even find her HOT! foreheadslap.gif i just wanted a pic for the fanboys not like a pic with me and her. confused.gif jim steranko didn't want his picture taken, me and him have a lot in in common......i don't blame him. laugh.gif anyways the con was awesome, toby maguire will be there tomorrow, so it will be a mad house. thumbsup2.gif met lighthouse, 4gemworks, jim94, POV, sffantasybono and his g-friend, and many others. laugh.gif it was good time to be had, i wish i could tell you all more, but what stays with the con stays in the con. devil.gif

What a load! You can download them for free.

What's she doing at comic cons?

What does she smell like???

aria wanted $5 for a pic, i was like CHA!

You should've done what I do to bums that ask for stuff...say this:

"I was just going to ask you for a (insert item they asked for)" devil.gif

Heh..seriously. If a bum asked me for a quarter...I straight faced say "Damn dude, I was just gonna ask you for a quarter!". Stops them dead in their tracks.

When she asked for $5 for the picture, you shoulda pulled that on her..."Damn lady, I was just going to ask you for $5 for a picture with me....sorry"

Heh...or take the picture with her...and then tell her she OWES YOU $5 cause you charge $10 for your picture.

I hate people like that.

OK - just posting - not answering a particuluar poster - I have spend almost as much on two dinners than I have at Wondercon for comics. Pre-code horror? Much of what I saw that I needed to complete my pre-code type set was [!@#%^&^] at stupid prices. In two days I have a total of 5 books - will be posting all of my purchaees in the GA Cigar - but of those five, two are pre-code crime and three pre-code horror. And to make matters worse, 2 of the three pre-code horrors are titles I already owned for my type set but had better cover - whch means I got a Purple Claw and a Weird Mysteries to sell or trade. I would really rather have added to my collection than supplanting it with better covers.

Two dealers I really hoped to hook up with: Bedrock City and Superworld, were not in attendance. Really bummed me out.

Well, tomorrow I am returning and seeking little. Will hope I miised some things along the way but for a pre-code horror fan, also corssing into other genes, this was not a good show. What made it memorable was hooking up with a lot of the regular posters here.

Go to bed, old man!! 893naughty-thumb.gif

Screw you, Hippie! errr - Hippy - err - whatever! tongue.gifhi.gif

Gotta admit.. some of PovertyRow's pre-code horror stuff is pretty stunning. Makes you appreciate the craftmanship that went into the older books.

The major change in the newer modern books, in my opinion, has been the superior coloring afforded by computer coloring and computerized printing. But there's something to be said for the rich colors in those older Golden Age books. They just seem more like "real" comic books.

hi.gif

Hey man, thanks again for the lift back to the parking garage!

WonderCon was a great show for me in terms of buying. I was able to find some nice specimens of FF 48, 49 and 50 all from the same collection. They are nearly identical in cover gloss and page quality, so they look pretty cool laid out next to each other.

Meeting everyone from the board was amazing - Two nights of comic and alcohol related hijinks that will live on in infamy!

Best of luck to everyone going back on Sunday. Hope you find some books to make it worthwhile.

-Jim

I was able to find some nice specimens of FF 48, 49 and 50 all from the same collection.

Yep - they were nice looking books made all the nicer by sharing a common home- so all were very similar looking. Nice buys you betcha! thumbsup2.gif

Gotta admit.. some of povertyRow's pre-code horror stuff is pretty stunning. Makes you appreciate the craftmanship that went into the older books.

I have to say, sckao, I REALLY appreciate that. Check out the GA forums tomorrow everning and I will post my final buys - I have to say I AM excieted about them, even though they be few in number. But this Wondercon was special. Meeting the forum folk - man it was nice. And one more day to go -and As Wondercon was closing down I found a place I missed that had some potential - maybe I can add to my books!

But you know - I took Monday and Tuesday off - I will get a good DVD burner and another LCD monitor for my 2nd computer and STILL be able to bank a tidy sum of what I did NOT spend. And you know? I may actually hit San Diego Con after this to further my collection.

Thanks, POV.

It means a lot to me that you and FFB thought they were good looking books. As sckao already commented, your pre-code horrors were truly stunning finds. You have a very good eye for picking out relatively inexpensive books that are just killer. Bravo!