• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wondercon report

99 posts in this topic

Gotta admit.. some of povertyRow's pre-code horror stuff is pretty stunning. Makes you appreciate the craftmanship that went into the older books.

I have to say, sckao, I REALLY appreciate that. Check out the GA forums tomorrow everning and I will post my final buys - I have to say I AM excieted about them, even though they be few in number. But this Wondercon was special. Meeting the forum folk - man it was nice. And one more day to go -and As Wondercon was closing down I found a place I missed that had some potential - maybe I can add to my books!

But you know - I took Monday and Tuesday off - I will get a good DVD burner and another LCD monitor for my 2nd computer and STILL be able to bank a tidy sum of what I did NOT spend. And you know? I may actually hit San Diego Con after this to further my collection.

Pov, you got me into the "Tales Two Terrible To Tell" anthology which I loved!! Those pre-code books rock - branching out a bit into the EC reprints now . . .

thumbsup2.gif

Glad to hear that everyone had a great time at WonderCon,

DAM

Say what you will, but she is hot.......and it was worth every penny 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

megacon2a.jpg

I think that look on your face is the picture perfect

s h # t eating grin, if I ever saw one.

27_laughing.gif

And I mean that as a compliment...but couldnt think of a better phrase to describe your smile.

smile.gif

Say what you will, but she is hot.......and it was worth every penny 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

megacon2a.jpg

I think that look on your face is the picture perfect

s h # t eating grin, if I ever saw one.

27_laughing.gif

And I mean that as a compliment...but couldnt think of a better phrase to describe your smile.

smile.gif

I was sick as a dog with food poising, but I wasn't going to pass up the chance for a picture. I got another picture autographed, but she wasn't wearing clothes in that one, and unfortunately I was not standing beside her in that take 893frustrated.gif

As for the hand on the butt, I actually believe it was accidentally, and my wife was not happy sorry.gif

As for the hand on the butt, I actually believe it was accidentally, and my wife was not happy sorry.gif

But she was fine with you bringing in (or buying) a nudie picture for her to sign? shocked.gif Guess she's OK with your lusting after someone else as long as it doesn't cross the line of physical contact, eh...

Well, it was a great Wonder Con, I'll try to get out a more detailed report today.

I Talked with Steve Borock, Fantasy Football, Quality Comix, Michelle Nolan and a few others. Picked up lots of DC horror.

Rip

i am all ears Rip, what did you find????

Sorry to hear about it POV, but i am not shocked. Precode horror at the last 2 shows i went to was at like 3x guide for anything decent. Ebay is still a better market for that. I can't wait to see what you found!

i don't even find her HOT! foreheadslap.gif

You must be gay. makepoint.gif

Well, in that particular pic, she looks like she's been standing in the line at McDonalds a bit too long. Holy chub, Batman.

I've been going to Wondercon since the 2nd one... it's been an annual tradition for our group of friends. Overall, I'd say it was a good show this year... I didn't get the incredible deals I did last year, but I still got quite a few books from many different dealers (last year I bought from only about 3 or 4 different dealers, while this year I bought from over twice as many.)

There was a definite shift in dealers material and selling strategy. Many dealers had 3 categories of books: 50% off, 25% off, and full price/wall books. (Last year, by contrast, dealers typically had only 2 categories: 50% off and wall books/high grade. The new 25% off group seemed to be pulled together from both the better 1/2 off books and the slower selling high grade books.)

Golden age (and all pre-silver, for that matter) seemed to be in very short supply, with high prices. Many dealers who I previously bought golden age books from brought mostly silver and bronze age books this year. Since I collect all 3 periods, I simply shifted my focus to what was to be had, but someone with little or no interest in silver and bronze will likely have been very disappointed in the con this year.

There were bigger named stars at the con than ever before discussing the upcoming movies... Tobey Maguire's only con appearance of the year was a massive hit... so much so that Saturday afternoon the dealer's room was relatively empty compared to Friday! They had to raffle off the limited number of autographs that he'd give (75 only). Lance Henrickson talked about Aliens vs Predator, which looks to be much better than the last few Aliens movies, and the writer/director and producer of Sky Captain showed extended clips from their movie. It's going to be a hit! Lots of interesting movies coming soon!

Two other quick trends I noticed: An increase in the number of toy/manga/anime/non-comic dealers, and a decrease in the number of "hot new comics of the past 6 months" dealers. I'm rather happy about the latter, as I don't care for the super-hyped, just-came-out-last-week-and-now-sells-for-10x-cover sillyness.

I signed up for this board because my friend Scott (I believe he goes by "Rip" here) really pimped your forum to me on our drive down to the con. lol! So hi all!

Well, in that particular pic, she looks like she's been standing in the line at McDonalds a bit too long. Holy chub, Batman.

I'd still rock that body. cloud9.gif

Hey, in my younger days, I'd be picking her up like she had handles (and she does grin.gif).

But in terms of a well-known "Geek Goddess", that's not exactly what I expected. More like an average Bar Bimbo if you ask me.

I'm going to ramble on a little but here's a quick mkt report.

Golden Age funny books seemed to pick up a little, Good Girl books were there in force, Phantom Ladys, Zoot, Jo Jo etc. covered the walls.

Silver and bronze age were VERY popular.

FF was hot. Quality Comixs sold a low grade FF 1 quickly replacing it with another low grade copy. Other popular requested titles were Marvel Spotlight 5, Giant Sized X-men 1, early FF and Daredevil 168. (The studios briefly discussed the Electra movie and FF movies) I heard a few mention that DC has been increasing in popularity with more Marvel fans picking up DC books like JLA, Green Lantern, Batman titles, and DC horror books. My Favorite Adventure 80 was discussed a little bit (1st Doom Patrol) but no HG copies were to be found.

Mags were there in force, very popular, many to choose from. Savage Sword of Conan 1 was an easy find in HG(even as high as 9.4-9.6). Vampy was a very popular title including later issues. Early National Lampoon were hot if you could find them in HG. Savage Tales was also popular but easier to find than expected with many high grade number 1's to choose from up to around 9.2.

Discounts on lower grade books was the norm. 50% NM bronze age books were even possible if you were quick or took the time to really look. One seller had a huge batch of HG DC and Marvel 20 centers 50% off. Needless to say many of those blew out with in the first hours of the Convention, especially the DC horror. Another interesting thing was the amount of DC 100pgers. A friend of mine picked up about 20-30 copies ranging from VG to VF+ for less than 50% off. I'll add more later.....

Rip....

Hey Scott! sumo.gifhi.gif

I'm the friend that got the 100 pagers/giants that he's talking about. I actually got over 35 of them. In previous years, they always seemed to be missing from dealers boxes, but this year, they had a ton of them. I got Marvel Tales 1-9, some Marvel Collectors Item Classics, DC 100 pg Super Spectaculars, a Superman Annual 7, some Batman giants, and even Superboy and the Legion #205, the last issue I needed to complete my run of LSH.

frown.gif Very sad to hear, considereing the Bay area is one of the supposed distribution sites. Why would they save for eBay? I wouldn't based on prices as of late gossip.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif Thanks for letting me know though. I know you would definitely be hunting for them.