• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Between Adams and Wrightson...who was the better horror cover artist?

Who was best..Neal or Berni?  

162 members have voted

1. 1. Who was best..Neal or Berni?

14 posts in this topic

I'm gonna say Wrightson, even though Adams is my overall favorite comics artist. Nobody can touch Adams in his prime for the use of perspective for dramatic effect. But his photo-realistic style did lessen just a bit the horrific quality of his covers.

With Wrightson you have a really other-worldly dimension to the work that I find very appealing. It also didn't help that many of Adams' covers were earlier on the DC horror experiment, when the original, unrevised Comics Code was still in effect.

this is a great question. Both created powerful cover designs. I agree thyt Adams was more of an all-around artist, and Wrightson more geared specvifically to horror. Adams was far more realistic but Bernies smooth and sinewy inking style was prettier and more in the horror genre. But Adams covers, especially the early ones with kids and puppets and dead bodies, drawn so well, designed so creatively, focused your eyes where he wanted them, and were IMO spookier than Wrightsons which were prettier and more painterly.

So admiring both, I voted for Adams. Tough call

I voted for Wrightson. Admas is a shockingly amazing artist. He can bring a real horrific element to his covers that are not actually horror genre. And his horror covers are just great. But Wrightson's just go that extra mile, so to dpeak. Everything about a good Wrightson cover just exudes horror. It is just a "feel" thing.

hmmm, did you just cry or call aman a sunovaperson_without_enough_empathy? 27_laughing.gif

yeah its wrightson for me, Adams is really good. Wrightson is too, i do not think Adams could have done Frankenstein, so i won't say adams is better all around. They are just different. To be Honest i even Prefer kaluta to the adams on horror. I do not want to see Kaluta or Wrightson do a Green Lantern cover thoguh...