• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age War comics
15 15

1,413 posts in this topic

Moar.................................................. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

7QQjbCO.jpg

BnV7d9Q.jpg

lVqbZlp.jpg

XrZiNEW.jpg

AmuJBKE.jpg

KDU40O5.jpg

qLQgKhJ.jpg

UYrn8lV.jpg

Fantastic books! Makes me really want to focus on Atlas war comics in 2017.

.... don't know you, so I'll apologize in advance if the following information and opinions are old news to you. Collecting Atlas War was/is one of the most satisfying periods in my collecting life. The vast majority are fairly inexpensive, even in better condition. Unfortunately, not all issues are created equal. If you are already familiar with the stable of artists that worked for Atlas in the 50's, then you will be ahead of the game. They had one of the widest variety of styles in the business at the time. All of us who collect Atlas War have our favorites.... the trick is knowing which issues have more of what you personally prefer. A site I use often is www.atlastales.com which lists and indexes each individual comic published by Atlas..... with cover images, story info (i.e. artists, writers, story titles and length, etc....).... nearly 5000 issues. It is one of the most inspired research/ data base sites on a particular publisher in the world. It can save you a lot of money and disappointment. I am unsure how active you are.... but the Atlas thread in this GA Forum can shed some light on some of the different artists who participated in that publishers output. GOD BLESS...

Thank you so much for the advice and info! I have mainly been a silver age collector, but in the past few years have really been drawn to golden age book, especially pre-hero DCs and the Atlas era horror titles. The war books are pretty new to me, and I only have about one or two. I looked through the Atlas Tales site and I really liked the titles (especially Battle and Battlefront). Heath and Maneely put out some great work and I might try to focus on those first.

Merry Christmas, Drew :hi:

This is a little fun side project I started about a 14 months ago. After I got the #1, I thought I'd try to put the run together, trying to get the nicest ones I could find. Challenging plus cheap = fun. I'm getting there, but most of these are mid-grades with just a couple exceptions. They are tough.

20508db9-5fc2-47fc-9e5e-b0d533c23dbf_zpsbedd1vkc.jpg

16084418-ceb8-40fa-82b9-c7721d7c61ba_zpsuvpkxtud.jpg

d6dc4a0b-8102-4617-a1ef-9243816cc9f0_zpsyuoh4jao.jpg

Edited by mrmyst

Those are interesting looking.... pretty decent inside ? GOD BLESS...

..... here's a neat cover.... this publisher was not afraid to get colorful.....

2hKO4Cu.jpg

This is a little fun side project I started about a 14 months ago. After I got the #1, I thought I'd try to put the run together, trying to get the nicest ones I could find. Challenging plus cheap = fun. I'm getting there, but most of these are mid-grades with just a couple exceptions. They are tough.

Wonderful! How's the #1?

Wonderful! How's the #1?

It's decent - 'potentially' 7.0 or so.

7.0 is great on that book. I had a gorgeous 9.0 way back when, somewhat tanned, but otherwise nearly perfect. That's one I wish I had back.

I bet you do. There still aren't any on the census above 6.0. But I suspect there are some out there in the wild.

In terms of Golden Age war, would Boy Commandos count? I vote yes!

...towards the last half of the run they become more fantasy/adventure oriented..... but the first ones are about as "war" as you can get, considering the concept..... I personally like them a great deal. GOD BLESS...

foxhole2.jpg

foxhole4.jpg

Foxhole 4 is my favorite purchase of the last two years. I love the cover and had been looking for a nice copy for a long time. At Baltimore Con in 2015 Marc Nathan had these two books in his boxes priced at around $50 each. I think I tore my pants grabbing the money to pay for them.

foxhole2.jpg

foxhole4.jpg

Foxhole 4 is my favorite purchase of the last two years. I love the cover and had been looking for a nice copy for a long time. At Baltimore Con in 2015 Marc Nathan had these two books in his boxes priced at around $50 each. I think I tore my pants grabbing the money to pay for them.

+1 on the Foxhole #4, been looking for a nice copy ever since I spotted it in the Gerber Guide 26 years ago. :pullhair:

Whoa! Now that is saying something.

Whoa! Now that is saying something.

No kidding.