• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What does the Forum think about a Lawyer turning a collector away...

381 posts in this topic

Actually, I am a bit surprised that a lawyer would say something like this in an open forum. Is that slander or liable? hm

Libel. The printed word.

FFB thinks that I can't do anything about it, or won't.

Made a mistake.

CAL who needed to be perfect in real life to get to where he is today...

As a "former" attorney, i can tell you that in no way, shape or form was what FFB said libelous. Not even remotely close. trying to pursue anything in that vein would be a waste of time of EPIC proportions! (thumbs u

Should you be annoyed? Yes

Should he have made the comment? no imo

I have no horse whatsoever in this race and dont really know either of you but trying to pursue this as libel or notifying the Bar or something like that is beyond ridiculous Cal, sorry. Be pissed all you want which i'd say you're entitled to be but don't waste any time or resources trying to pursue this any further than these boards if you ask me (shrug)

How should I handle this, then???

CAL who got confused by you via that ASM 44???

The post from FFB sure looks pretty harsh to me.

When I discuss who is and isn't good to deal with, I prefer to stick to facts. It can lessen the hurt feelings and can eliminate the possibility of libel (false, malicious printed statements).

I've never had any dealings with Cal, so I'll make up an absurdly extreme example that has no connection to anybody on the boards: I'd never say, "Don't sell to that Adolf Hitler guy." Instead, I'd say, "I won't sell to him because he murdered more than six million people." Telling somebody "don't do business with X" and then not providing a concrete for it is simply wrong.

A more useful statement in this case would be, "I choose not to do business with Cal because his online posts look to me like the posts of somebody who is a bit unhinged," or something like that. Not that I'm trying to put words in FFB's mouth... that's just my own interpretation of what I've read from him ("But not to Calamerica. That is the worst advice anyone could give you. He's nuts."). If FFB had posted or PM'd this information to the seller, the seller could then make up his own mind. He may decide to look at Cal's posts and see how he feels about them, or he may decide that he doesn't care because so many people have pointed out that Cal is a good customer. Either way, facts go a long way toward helping a situation like this.

-SOTICollector deciding to sign in the third person. I've never done that before. Just trying it on to see how it feels.

The post from FFB sure looks pretty harsh to me.

When I discuss who is and isn't good to deal with, I prefer to stick to facts. It can lessen the hurt feelings and can eliminate the possibility of libel (false, malicious printed statements).

I've never had any dealings with Cal, so I'll make up an absurdly extreme example that has no connection to anybody on the boards: I'd never say, "Don't sell to that Adolf Hitler guy." Instead, I'd say, "I won't sell to him because he murdered more than six million people." Telling somebody "don't do business with X" and then not providing a concrete for it is simply wrong.

A more useful statement in this case would be, "I choose not to do business with Cal because his online posts look to me like the posts of somebody who is a bit unhinged," or something like that. Not that I'm trying to put words in FFB's mouth... that's just my own interpretation of what I've read from him ("But not to Calamerica. That is the worst advice anyone could give you. He's nuts."). If FFB had posted or PM'd this information to the seller, the seller could then make up his own mind. He may decide to look at Cal's posts and see how he feels about them, or he may decide that he doesn't care because so many people have pointed out that Cal is a good customer. Either way, facts go a long way toward helping a situation like this.

-SOTICollector deciding to sign in the third person. I've never done that before. Just trying it on to see how it feels.

what is HARSHER is his two-word response: "Don't care"...

Most people have some sort of consciousness and can right themselves, and admit a fault or impulsive action/behavior. Most people know right from wrong. But some of the most hardened criminals won't regret anything they have done, ice in their veins so to speak. Inhumane. No feelings or any regard to others. From a Juris Doctor, well, maybe that explains a lot of the ruthlesness...

CAL who decided NOT to go to UMD law school back in 1992.

Cal has always bought from new people, it's his way of making contact, he did that with I think pretty much everyone on the eBay chatboard, and he even bought stuff he did not collect. Never once, did I hear a word about his not paying promptly, OR complaining about a book he received from a board member.

However, Jack....I know you can write in the first person, so perhaps if you did that more often, it would help with people's perceptions and you wouldn't need to start so many threads..

It's been a while since the last Hitler reference.

Are you ready for some football?

If you mean actual football, then yes.

(clearly, I don't get your reference :( )

I know someone who can perform the CGC Forum theme song. He's got some free time now.

Cal has always bought from new people, it's his way of making contact, he did that with I think pretty much everyone on the eBay chatboard, and he even bought stuff he did not collect. Never once, did I hear a word about his not paying promptly, OR complaining about a book he received from a board member.

However, Jack....I know you can write in the first person, so perhaps if you did that more often, it would help with people's perceptions and you wouldn't need to start so many threads..

Thanks for the positive note, Sky!

I just looked at that rudimentary Excel spreadsheet, and it was just from the Sellers only Thread. I know I have bought from you, but I guess not from this Thread. That will change sometime, soon I hope. When my computer crashed, I lost that spreadsheet with the eBayers and I know you were on there, and more than once.

But I may have painted myself in a corner; when I try to make sense, there are many that complain. When I conjure up time-waster Threads, there are many that complain. maybe I do have two ID's or I was going to do a crazy one with THREE CAL'S arguing with each other...

I gotta go to school now, but I will be back later.

I did not really know how to deal with this quickly and did the usual "outting" thing; at least I can feel better about myself for at least standing up for myself.

Hope things are alright with you in NY.

CAL the older student...

I too wish Cal would act more "normal" here. I know he is capable of it. Him and I had a nice chat on the phone.

Cal:

Perhaps you could change your posting style. How about not signing any posts with the third whatever it is. Try acting normal, and you will get a lot more respect here. What do you say?

CAL, it seems to me that the majority of the people who have ventured an opinion here believe that you were wronged by this particular comment.

It also seems that you currently occupy the moral high ground.

You have been advised by an expert that there is little to be gained by taking this further.

My impartial advice to you now is to quit while you are ahead.

Although I have butted heads with you in the past and will no doubt do so again my opinions here, such as they are are meant sincerely.

Let it lie.

from a Dealer that collects PLODS???

We have FFB on the Grading and Restoration Thread TELLING a newbie-type collector NOT to sell to a certain Boardie that collects PLODS.

Let's see the collective conscious of this Forum now...

CAL who can't wait to see the responses...

128761500667747657.jpg

16a1a65a-0182-46dd-ab29-91dcf0de9bda.jpg

Actually, I am a bit surprised that a lawyer would say something like this in an open forum. Is that slander or liable? hm

Libel. The printed word.

Made a mistake.

As a "former" attorney, i can tell you that in no way, shape or form was what FFB said libelous. Not even remotely close. trying to pursue anything in that vein would be a waste of time of EPIC proportions! (thumbs u

I have no horse whatsoever in this race and dont really know either of you but trying to pursue this as libel or notifying the Bar or something like that is beyond ridiculous Cal, sorry. Be pissed all you want which i'd say you're entitled to be but don't waste any time or resources trying to pursue this any further than these boards if you ask me (shrug)

And STILL you don't post any pics of your current clientele. Dammit, we've been patient.

Please? :wishluck:

lol

We had some 22 year old for Pilates today who might be the cutest girl i've ever seen in my life! During class, i was texting my friend telling him to brainstorm ideas of how i can get pics of such fine specimens without officially becoming a stalker! hm

As for what you "should" do Cal, i have no clue. Other than person_without_enough_empathying about it hre, i dont think there is anything you can do. Like i said, i think what he said was out of line but not shocking. I've got nothing against you at all but i think its fair to say that you dont exactly mind ruffling feathers on here. It shouldnt be shocking for someone to say they dont like you or think you're nuts. Uncalled for maybe but not shocking (shrug)

Libel. The printed word.

Made a mistake.

And STILL you don't post any pics of your current clientele. Dammit, we've been patient.

Please? :wishluck:

lol

We had some 22 year old for Pilates today who might be the cutest girl i've ever seen in my life! During class, i was texting my friend telling him to brainstorm ideas of how i can get pics of such fine specimens without officially becoming a stalker! hm

As for what you "should" do Cal, i have no clue. Other than person_without_enough_empathying about it hre, i dont think there is anything you can do. Like i said, i think what he said was out of line but not shocking. I've got nothing against you at all but i think its fair to say that you dont exactly mind ruffling feathers on here. It shouldnt be shocking for someone to say they dont like you or think you're nuts. Uncalled for maybe but not shocking (shrug)

Hidden camera? Please find a way.

The comment about CAL was uncalled for and deserves an apology or should be deleted by the mods.

This place gets so nasty sometimes most of the time. :(

CAL has been a solid buyer and seller and that comment was total BS.

Google Hank Williams Jr. news. :gossip:

Google Hank Williams Jr. news. :gossip:

I never knew he did that song until now.

Wow, now this thread absolves you for that lame attempt a few days ago. (thumbs u

There is nothing more tin foil hat like than when you make outrageous claims that you will somehow punish those who say anything against you.

You sound like a crazy person in 99% of your posts, which I absolutely guarantee is an act. Someone putting up an emoticon, in reference to someone possibly doing business with you, is hardly important. They are wrong, but nonetheless, what does it matter?

Lastly, why would you forgive a past indiscretion because he was a lawyer? It fits into your desperate attempt to appear higher than your station. Enjoy your wacky azz place on the totem pole and enjoy life.

Woof!