• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mags vs. comics

18 posts in this topic

Magazines will be failry plentiful in hard grade in the coming years. The generally have a thicker stock of paper which makes damage less likely. Magazine grading is still in its infancy. Most people who have magazines are probably not aware of encapsulation.

Magazines will be failry plentiful in hard grade in the coming years. The generally have a thicker stock of paper which makes damage less likely. Magazine grading is still in its infancy. Most people who have magazines are probably not aware of encapsulation.

I don't know. I mean, I never treated my mags as nicely as I did my comics. I never thought my magazines would accrue any value and I think a lot of people felt the same way. So there may be some nice copies out there, but not nearly the volume in my opinion.

I don't know. I mean, I never treated my mags as nicely as I did my comics. I never thought my magazines would accrue any value and I think a lot of people felt the same way. So there may be some nice copies out there, but not nearly the volume in my opinion.

Different breed of collectors. While I'm sure most comic book collectors treated magazines mercilessly. There are magazine collectors that probably treated comic books with the same disrespect. Time will tell.

Deathlok, i really have to disagree with that! They took way more of a beating through the years & sold in fewer numbers anyway. They were bought by older readers and were kept around to read more than collect. They were more like an issue of sports illustrated or people then amazing spiderman. The only reason you are seeing a good amount of high grades right now, is because people were not even buying them in the past, they didn't acre about ultra mint, so the supplies were still there when encapsulation started. Also, the majority of the ultra nice warren's all came from Jim warren's personal file copies. He had up to ten of each issue. They all came from the same source. The very act of opening a mag with its bigger dimensions & heavier weight cause more stress to the spine than a smaller comic.

I could very well be wrong, I won't argue that point.

I think we as comic collectors viewed magazines much differently than mags. I know there was a place nearby that specialized in Horror books, mags, etc. They had a huge collection of magazines. Although they have gone out of business, so I have no idea what happened to them. I just think those people who collected the mags have yet to submit them.

Imo high grade magazines are going to be much tougher to find than comics. Magazines were much tougher to store than comics & took a beating on the edges. I couldn't count how many times back in the 70s-early 80s I would see magazines jammed into comic size boxes along with comics, the top edges destroyed because they stuck out further. Even the warehouse finds of mags tend to have a large number of damaged copies.

They were also produced in much lower numbers. An example would be Savage Sword of Conan showing a circulation of 100,000 in 1980, while the same year Conan the comic had a circulation of 215,000. In the mid 70s Creepy & Eerie had circulation runs of 85,000-95,000 compared to a below average selling Marvel Defenders title of 150,000.

They are not near as collectible & thus don't have the values, but they will be tougher to find.

Just the fact that the Mags are larger than comics thus having more area to get damaged is a big factor that they are harder to find in high grade. Some Mags were handled roughly in stores before purchase, I can remember as a kid seeing stacks bundled up with cord for delivery. If they are to be graded as strictly as comics I believe that 9.6 - 9.8's will be hard to come by. I'm not saying high grades are not out there, just much fewer than comics IMHO.

I think mags will be tougher. Have you sent any in yet? CGC is TOUGH on them! Much tougher than comics IMO.

Also, I have been noticing that only the real keys are going for any kind of money on eBay. I've seen some real nice common 9.2s and 9.4s sitting with no bids, and a $19.99 opening price. That doesn't even cover the grading fees, much less S&H. The keys are obviously going for sick money.

As far as how many HG copies are out there, I'd guess there are far less than comics in general. I go to comic shops all across the US. Most of the have at least 10 boxes of comics back issues. One in ten has a magazine back issue section.

Condition will also be a factor, as it's much harder to get supplies for storing mags properly. Every LCS has comics bags, boards, boxes and mylars, but very few have the same for mags.

I've got a few boxes of nice mags, but, based on my first submissions, I'm going to wait and see what the market does. If prices don't heat up, I may sell them raw.

I'd be interested to see what you think about how tough/easy you think they are.

How do you send things in for SS? I thought you had to do that at a convention where CGC could witness?

I'd be interested to see what you think about how tough/easy you think they are.

How do you send things in for SS? I thought you had to do that at a convention where CGC could witness?

I just had a bunch of TMNT mags and comics done at the LA show by Kevin Eastman. I wasn't there, but Peter from Paradise was and got them done. They are not all first prints unfortunitely, but we'll see how it goes.

Alex