• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase your Harvey comics here!
2 2

288 posts in this topic

I have seen this issue lurking in the box with Harvey, Gold Key, an and other assorted comics since this summer at the LCS. Curiosity finally got the better of me. I wasn't even sure if the title was Thrill-o-Rama or Pirhana until I got home.

Thrill-O-Rama # 3 Dec 1966

TOR_3.jpg

Aarghh :pullhair:

The last one I need for this incredible (and I mean that literally) 3-issue run.

What I like about Pirana is that there are so many absurdities, starting with the name. "Pirana" on the cover is an accepted variant of the spelling, though most times I've seen it in print it's Piranha .

Leave that aside it's a freshwater fish. Rivers and lakes. This guy spends all his time in the ocean. :screwy:

His sidekicks are two barracuda, imaginatively named "Barra" and "Cuda". Barracuda are known for fearsome sets of dentures, so these guys spend their time "bumping" the bad guys. (shrug) Pirana would be better off with a couple of electric eels. (thumbs u

This cover.I like the way the "bubble trail" from the sinking or sunk boat breaks up the CCA stamp. Cute.

What I have difficulty working out is the perspective in this drawing. The "Human Anchor" (I'll get to him in minute) is standing on the sea floor, attached via a chain to a boat. Is this on the surface? Can't be, bubbles present. Underwater some distance away? Umm yes, but seems to be below the anchor. How can that be if he's on the sea floor? Undersea mountain range? hm

I haven't read this book, but I need to know, frozentundraguy, what is the Human Anchor's story? Just grabs random ship anchors and drags the boats to Davy Jones' Locker?

Duffman,

What is the Human Anchor's Story. He is a hired thug for Brainstorm.

He and the Brainstorm look nearly identical, but for the Human Anchor's

extra girth, and the stars that revolve around the Brainstorm head that is.

As it turns out the Brainstorm has quite a few tricks to dole out to the

Pirana. Chief among them, and I'm not making this up, is Murderina Mermaid.

She is turned loose on the Pirana, and he falls for her hook line and anchor. :grin:

As far as the Human Anchor, he is dealt with by Bara and Cuda, though they

need some extra gadgetry to tackle him. He does attempt to drag the

Pirana's boat under at one pont in the story, so the action depicted on the cover is present in the story.

The book really departs from the norm with the letter page, as the characters

of the book give voice to their thoughts, including bara and Cuda, along with Pirana's girfriend Betty, who doesnt even appear in the story. Since #3 was the last issue, there wasnt a chance for feeback from the readers. :(

Hepcat,

Thanks for the "kudos".

I have seen this issue lurking in the box with Harvey, Gold Key, an and other assorted comics since this summer at the LCS. Curiosity finally got the better of me. I wasn't even sure if the title was Thrill-o-Rama or Pirhana until I got home.

Thrill-O-Rama # 3 Dec 1966

TOR_3.jpg

Aarghh :pullhair:

The last one I need for this incredible (and I mean that literally) 3-issue run.

What I like about Pirana is that there are so many absurdities, starting with the name. "Pirana" on the cover is an accepted variant of the spelling, though most times I've seen it in print it's Piranha .

Leave that aside it's a freshwater fish. Rivers and lakes. This guy spends all his time in the ocean. :screwy:

His sidekicks are two barracuda, imaginatively named "Barra" and "Cuda". Barracuda are known for fearsome sets of dentures, so these guys spend their time "bumping" the bad guys. (shrug) Pirana would be better off with a couple of electric eels. (thumbs u

This cover.I like the way the "bubble trail" from the sinking or sunk boat breaks up the CCA stamp. Cute.

What I have difficulty working out is the perspective in this drawing. The "Human Anchor" (I'll get to him in minute) is standing on the sea floor, attached via a chain to a boat. Is this on the surface? Can't be, bubbles present. Underwater some distance away? Umm yes, but seems to be below the anchor. How can that be if he's on the sea floor? Undersea mountain range? hm

I haven't read this book, but I need to know, frozentundraguy, what is the Human Anchor's story? Just grabs random ship anchors and drags the boats to Davy Jones' Locker?

Duffman,

What is the Human Anchor's Story. He is a hired thug for Brainstorm.

He and the Brainstorm look nearly identical, but for the Human Anchor's

extra girth, and the stars that revolve around the Brainstorm head that is.

As it turns out the Brainstorm has quite a few tricks to dole out to the

Pirana. Chief among them, and I'm not making this up, is Murderina Mermaid.

She is turned loose on the Pirana, and he falls for her hook line and anchor. :grin:

As far as the Human Anchor, he is dealt with by Bara and Cuda, though they

need some extra gadgetry to tackle him. He does attempt to drag the

Pirana's boat under at one pont in the story, so the action depicted on the cover is present in the story.

The book really departs from the norm with the letter page, as the characters

of the book give voice to their thoughts, including bara and Cuda, along with Pirana's girfriend Betty, who doesnt even appear in the story. Since #3 was the last issue, there wasnt a chance for feeback from the readers. :(

Hepcat,

Thanks for the "kudos".

Wow. That mess just makes me want it even more. A letters page lol . I think the chances of that being "editorially concocted" are pretty good.

Here are scans of some more of my Harvey war comics from the early fifties:

05-09-2011114136PM.jpg

05-09-2011114141PM.jpg

05-09-2011114144PM.jpg

:cool:

I see there is a crossover between these Harvey War books and Showcase 42, as the artist for all is Lee Elias. (thumbs u The third issue has a wrinkled effect that I cannot recall seeing before. Impeccible books as usual. :headbang:

I had fun looking through this thread tonight. While I am not a Harvey collector I was a major reader in my younger days ('65-'70) before I got the Disney and then DC collecting Jones. Sadly, my Harveys didn't survive my brother and my reading.

In those days you could pick up remaindered copies (with covers intact) at flea market stalls for half cover price or so; my brother and I would buy countless giants featuring Sad Sack, Richie Rich and even those Stumbos!

I also remember picking up and reading some of those super-hero giants. The Jack Frost issue was one I really remember vividly. I do remember the stories were not very good.

When I started collecting comics in the early seventies these Harveys were plentiful, cheap and considered viturally uncollectable. A similar situation existed for the Archie series. I do remember the late fifties and early sixties issues were harder to find and when I came across them I would look at the different logos but never pick them up. Too bad as they are really nice looking books.

I bought my kids the collected reprints of Casper, Hot Stuff and Richie Rich last year and we all devoured those stories.

Thanks for all the great posts!

I bought more Harvey than Dell comics as a kid before I got into superheroes. The very first comic I ever read may have been a Felix the Cat one. Here are scans of some of my Felix the Cat comics:

29-06-201163152PM.jpg

29-06-201163200PM.jpg

29-06-201163215PM.jpg

29-06-201163218PM.jpg

11-08-2011105231PM.jpg

11-08-2011105236PM.jpg

11-08-2011105242PM.jpg

11-08-2011105246PM.jpg

I remember how greatly amused my buddy and I were by his nephews, Inky and Dinky. We both wanted to be Dinky of course!

:grin:

I see there is a crossover between these Harvey War books and Showcase 42, as the artist for all is Lee Elias. (thumbs u)

Lee Elias drew the Tommy Tomorrow and Cave Carson Showcase appearances. He also took over the Green Arrow strip at DC when Jack Kirby left. Lee doesn't get the accolades he deserves.

:(

When I started collecting comics in the early seventies these Harveys were plentiful, cheap and considered viturally uncollectable. A similar situation existed for the Archie series. I do remember the late fifties and early sixties issues were harder to find and when I came across them I would look at the different logos but never pick them up. Too bad as they are really nice looking books.

I always wonder what happened to all those "uncollectable" Harveys and Archies that dealers had in stock in the seventies. Are they still buried in longboxes in their storage rooms?

???

Edited by Hepcat

I'll bet you're right! It's only recently that the Hot Stuff title has started to receive the appreciation it deserves.

Here are scans of some of my comics featuring Felix's Nephews:

03-07-201152115PM.jpg

03-07-201152118PM.jpg

03-07-201152122PM.jpg

30-10-2011104238PM.jpg

30-10-2011104244PM.jpg

Some of the very earliest comics I ever read featured these two little scamps. Of course my buddies and I all wanted to be Dinky!

;)

Edited by Hepcat

I see the Joe Palooka title was published until March 1961 but it never caught my eye as a kid. When it came to Harveys, I guess my eyes were always drawn to Hot Stuff, Spooky and Casper. Interesting that it was about that time too that I first really discovered superhero comics, the Adventures of the Fly to be precise.

(shrug)

Here though are scans of a couple of my Hot Stuff comics:

29-07-201250838PM.jpg

29-07-201250842PM.jpg

:cool:

Edited by Hepcat