• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
69 69

63,910 posts in this topic

I'm curious what spidey comics , if any, will/are heating up in anticipation of the new film. I've seen some interest in the death of Gwenn Stacey. Any other issues seeing any heat?

I thought that yesterday while seeing the trailer watching Ghost Rider.

Capt Stacey

Gwen Stacey

Lizard apps will all get hot for awhile.

Watch that McFarlane Lizard increase as well.

I hate to admit it, but it looks like the Vengeance of Bane is the hottest comic in America. I can't believe how many of these comics have sold in the last two months and the prices that even lower grade CGC copies are pulling in. If there's a 100k copies of this issue then there still may not be enough to satisfy the demand if the 3rd film is as good as the first two.

I could see it being one of the hottest modern comics atm with the pre movie hype and all, but not more than The Walking Dead #1, not even close. But the hottest book in america is AF15 imo :sumo:

Jerome

Saw that Krighton's complete set of Chuck sold with 1 bid at $24.99 earlier today. I'm still baffled as to what the heck the previous auctions were about then, especially since that last one was not even a complete set at $127. Doesn't make sense. But apparently the heat is not quite there for this title. Though $25 is still decent out of context!

Noticed that Veronica 202 (1st app. Kevin Keller) 1st printings are popping up less commonly on eBay. Used to be there were 5 or more at all times, often not selling with a BIN around $6-10. Now just one or two at a time appear to be getting listed. The supply seems to either be getting absorbed, or sellers appear to have given up on listing them, or both. In any event, I noticed the two current listings ended today. The earlier one with only 1 bid for $9.99 (free shipping). The later listing just ended with 15 bids between 3 parties, bidding this book up to $18.59 (+ $5 shipping). May just be an aberation, but may also indicate a growing demand as the character flourishes in the Archie universe(s) with more media attention and a new ongoing series. No idea how big the print run was on this book. Of note, it was the first Archie issue in 70 years to get a reprint. It will get no where near Betty & Veronica 320 (1st app. Cheryl Blossom) in terms of price or rarity. But I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes a steady $50-ish seller in the years to come for NM copies. And yes, as you can see from my sig line, I'm fairly attached to the character. :P:whistle:

Edited by dane323

yeah, thanks for reminding me. $24.99 wasn't really the goal. I think that whole chuck thing was a bunch of guys working together to pump up the price. Or they were just rabid Chuck fans who now have enough copies. I had 9 watchers on that thing and 1 bid.

Edited by krighton

yeah, thanks for reminding me. $24.99 wasn't really the goal. I think that whole chuck thing was a bunch of guys working together to pump up the price. Or they were just rabid Chuck fans who now have enough copies. I had 9 watchers on that thing and 1 bid.

I think the same thing about this Detective #1 that went for £9.00 in the UK, yet mine at £1 cheaper did not have a single watch or bid.

I checked the bidding history on the book and its been made private so it wouldn't surprise that it was shilled.

I'm seeing some interest in X-23 #1 Target and Target Variants on eBay.

eBay Completed Listings

Also, The Market is showing some interest in the series Non-player #1. Ungraded versions have been fetching $15+ and higher and CGC 9.6 version currently on eBay is at $41 with 8 bids and 29 watchers. hm(shrug)

Edited by whetteon

Bet 8 of those were from reading this thread lol

I hate to admit it, but it looks like the Vengeance of Bane is the hottest comic in America. I can't believe how many of these comics have sold in the last two months and the prices that even lower grade CGC copies are pulling in. If there's a 100k copies of this issue then there still may not be enough to satisfy the demand if the 3rd film is as good as the first two.

A good sleeper book is Batman 489.

A month after Vengeance, regular Batman series, Bane on the cover,

and a low count on the CGC census at the moment (compared to Vengeance).

I was wondering this a few days ago. How much does this thread have an impact on the 'hot' modern age sales? Since we have a specific interest in the market do we inadvertently add to the 'hype' of these hot comics? Probably not that much, but who knows.

Jerome

Edited by jump_ace

my thoughts exactly.....

it certainly has some impact but i don't think it has an impact on the initial hot book we're seeing...that sale tends to go through on a high note regardless. Subsequent sales though, hard to tell.

It might have an effect on LCS where people are buying up comics sitting in a $1 bin hoping to strike it rich.

Can't say i won't be hunting down Batman 489's if i see them cheap. hm

Edited by krighton

I was wondering this a few days ago. How much does this thread have an impact on the 'hot' modern age sales? Since we have a specific interest in the market do we inadvertently add to the 'hype' of these hot comics? Probably not that much, but who knows.

Jerome

Absolutely!

Just a heads up for everyone. The adventure time comic has been decently hot and one of the variants just went up for pre-order. 800 copies of this one. Like it says in the description there is a virgin cover version of this one as well but you have to buy VIP tickets to the con.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adventure-Time-1-Annapolis-Comic-Con-Exclusive-Variant-preorder-1-800-/280834699134?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item41630d6f7e#ht_500wt_1413

Jerome

seems to me like there's little "inadvertently" about it. for instance a certain 40 page thread in modern on a book that hasn't seen 40 pages published

Chew had quite a few thread pages when it was first released (30 days into it's 1st issue there were 44 pages of conversation in the Chew thread).....might be something more in that '40 page thread' than just hype & speculation by some rabid board members.

Edited by krighton

of course....fatale even had previews in both so why not compare. who knows what will happen, it could flop by next week and people will be throwing their copies on the image WD 94 color bonfire.

Edited by krighton

I'm interested in why people continue to believe cover A (beauty) will outsell and remain more popular with half the number of issues. I can't think of one issue that supports this line of thinking. It would be different if cover B (beast) was a 2nd print.

maybe it's from my 20 year career as a shortseller but my BS detector seems to be more finely calibrated than most. i love brubaker as much as the next guy but i can pick up criminal and incognito and sleeper all day long in $1 boxes. i know for a fact that every comic IMAGE prints is not the second coming; sometimes that's hard to tell here. anyway, this discussion belongs elsewhere.