• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

On 11/20/2022 at 11:57 PM, fastballspecial said:

its quite possible. Depending if this keeps up you should do well. Its not moving yet because
spec sites dont know much about comics till someone tells them about it.

CGC gives the book a notation so that should help.  
6D3DC7B3-C743-4682-8313-0CAD8A278C7A.jpeg.2f8fef2f73fa73250e87526a4c947421.jpeg

On 11/22/2022 at 9:46 AM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Nice lot. There's a few Lobo minor keys that are under the radar right now. This is one that I look for in the cheap boxes.

It's a nice idea, but unlikely. People are getting smarter and looking for a guaranteed return.

Key Batman, Spider-Man and Wolverine are where it is at.

On 11/22/2022 at 4:14 AM, World Devourer said:
On 11/21/2022 at 4:46 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Nice lot. There's a few Lobo minor keys that are under the radar right now. This is one that I look for in the cheap boxes.

It's a nice idea, but unlikely. People are getting smarter and looking for a guaranteed return.

If that was the case the market would have collapsed by now. People are always looking for high grade 
hard to find books or books from characters they like and they can be found cheap. I've been doing this
25 years now that has never changed. We have this arrogant viewpoint that we make up the hobby and
we don't not even close.

The problem is a certain % of new collectors/buyers/sellers need an app to tell them what to buy. Thats not
the people you want to rely on for your business many of them will leave the next year or two as the market
softens and they can't profit or when they realize they way overpaid get frustrated and leave the hobby.

Edited by fastballspecial

On 11/20/2022 at 9:21 PM, fastballspecial said:

And its a really nice cover with alot of things going on. I think I might have found or seen 2 over the years. All those Spectres in the 50s/60s
are tough I rarely see any of them and the covers are fantastic.

I don't know if I can pull up all of my sales on eBay, but I'd guess I've had about 5 copies of Spectre #54. Of course all were sold near the time I found them. $1 --> $25 or so on average.

On 11/22/2022 at 5:14 AM, World Devourer said:

And all those books are already pricey.   Lobo spec has barely just begun...

On 11/22/2022 at 1:16 PM, Corona smith said:

You folks forget we’re in the Moderns Heating Up On EBay, right? Not bronze or copper, not for your recent pickups. I’d love to come to this topic and actually find relevant info. 

I just gave u a full market report last page. Funny never seen u do one 

Want more then that? Then start talking. Otherwise get over yourself it's free information people share that they don't have too.

1921201051_200w(3).gif.32888f5402cda6cdab1e92320a2a5669.gif

Edited by fastballspecial

On 11/22/2022 at 2:32 PM, fastballspecial said:

I just gave u a full market report last page. Funny never seen u do one 

Want more then that then start talking. Otherwise get over yourself it's free information people share that they don't have too.

Simply trying to keep the topic on track. No need to get rude. There’s a reason these threads have topics. You wanna talk about non modern books go to a non modern topic. 

On 11/22/2022 at 1:36 PM, Corona smith said:

Simply trying to keep the topic on track. No need to get rude. There’s a reason these threads have topics. You wanna talk about non modern books go to a non modern topic. 

Once again...

On 11/14/2022 at 3:03 PM, Lazyboy said:

1. That thread already exists. It's been done.

2. Long-running threads like this often go on brief tangents, especially when there's nothing new and relevant to post. I'm sure at least 1000 pages worth of this thread are not really on topic.

3. If you don't like a tangent, post something on topic to get things back on track. If you have nothing, well...

Perhaps you need the less polite version? :devil:

On 11/19/2022 at 9:59 PM, fastballspecial said:

Just finished visiting some regional shops I only get to once or twice a year. Discussing sales with them to get a better idea of how their market is looking. 

From my point of view just about every shop I know has a large selection of slabs in the shop now. I figured this would occur due the large submission rates over the last year. Now we are reaching the saturation level I think. I see alot of nice books and very expensive slabs just sitting now. One shop had a UF4 9.6 that was sitting as well. I think shops overestimated the market for these. 

Each and every shop explained in detail how tremendous their sales were last year. The smart shops have been preparing the coming let down this year.  I walked into one shop today and the majority of the shop was $1 and $2 books with some wall books. (And some slabs) I was greeted as I walked in the door by the staff asked what I was looking for and was given a tour of the shop. This happened to me twice today and I was stunned as I never get that in shops. It was very refreshing. 

The next few months up to tax season will show us how the market will lay out. Ive seen numerous "I am out" sales on facebook. I think this will continue as buyers turned sellers will finally realize they way overpaid last year. 

Locally my main shop has been using Whatnot and it has really helped him clear out inventory and occasionally really clears it out. He is very happy with  the format and I am happy for him because it gives him another venue stream for the shop. I use this as well when I search on that format for shops or someone selling a personal collection because thats who I want my money to go too. 

Ebay has surprisingly picked up for me this month. This is usually my month to load up my store in Nov and Dec and not care about sales at all. The last week or two I haven't been able to load much because I am packing up sales. I need to find another multi sale book like Hulk 256 which I sold 5 copies in like a week that was awesome. I am seeing Spawn copies from 200 to 260 start showing up in stores now. Seems the Spawn fire is slowing down. 

Bloodstone and Werewolf by Night modern issues are selling well for me including trades. Man-Thing as well. Disney has gotten people interested in Horror now. If you can find modern horror cheap I highly recommend buying the print runs were nothing.

Super 75 and its related parts are hot again. Never thought I would say that again lol.  I finally got another copy of ASM 606 in the other day. Its like tearing a dog from a bone to get ASM 601 or 606 from anyone. Those books sell immediately. 1st Amadeus Cho is another book I cant seem to find anymore. Id love to find a newsstand of it as well. 

Batman page punchers are selling now at $15 - $25. I still say you can't go wrong with those. That 608 2nd print variant will be in demand years down the road.  

Got a couple of Zombie Tramp TPBs this week for nothing they will be easy resales. TPB sales are great right now overall in all genres with the right books. 

Its nice to see Simpsons and Simpson related books selling well finally. Those last issues are a nightmare and newsstands will fetch a nice penny too.

Shiny covers are back. Those Avengers covers from years ago Ive been looking for a nice newsstand for years of them no luck. People paid big money for the new Shiny Superman 75s expect this to continue.

And lastly Omega Men 3 is the cat's meow not a copy to be found this week in shops. Im glad Spectre 54 is getting some love too. 

Great stuff as always! Thanks! 

On 11/22/2022 at 2:16 PM, Corona smith said:

You folks forget we’re in the Moderns Heating Up On EBay, right? Not bronze or copper, not for your recent pickups. I’d love to come to this topic and actually find relevant info. 

F37A28A1-A20C-4A4F-9CD1-B4E1D6C4F058.gif.d9c2182d07fc1d1cd8f1d80d9fdb9a3a.gif

Love your sense of entitlement to info though :insane:

Maybe rather than complain, you could simply bring the thread back on track by adding some new info of your own. :popcorn:

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

On 11/22/2022 at 11:22 PM, World Devourer said:

In all seriousness, that's a good point and deserving of its own thread.

How many readers/collectors vs investors are there now?

Ask me that question in 6 months and I can pretty much think there is going to be 
a swing back one way I think. Last few years there has been an influx of speculators,
but also a huge number of cover collectors have joined the hobby as well. 

On 11/22/2022 at 10:37 PM, fastballspecial said:

Last few years there has been an influx of speculators,
but also a huge number of cover collectors have joined the hobby as well. 

Cover collectors are a much bigger part of the hobby now. I sell tons of Artgerm, Hughes and Campbell at every show, in addition to ratio and other variants that look nice/have a popular artist. I do not get the demand for Momoko or Besch personally, but am happy to sell to others that appreciate them.

On 11/23/2022 at 5:35 PM, kimik said:

Cover collectors are a much bigger part of the hobby now. 

Agreed.

Since the advent of CGC ours became a cover sport.

The introduction of rare variants then made certain CGC items the "prizes" to own.

Yes, I have all the obvious gems in 9.8 W, but there are many older issues that are bonafide quality (examples include Marvel Team-Up #16 with Captain Marvel and art by Gil Kane, Avengers #167 with amazing art and layouts by George Perez, and Rom #18 with the killer Frank Miller/Terry Austin cover) that are sadly ignored and have been lost to time.

Edited by World Devourer