• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

On 11/23/2022 at 12:22 AM, World Devourer said:

In all seriousness, that's a good point and deserving of its own thread.

How many readers/collectors vs investors are there now?

Yes, there’s a subtle point in here that doesn’t get discussed enough, IMO…. There’s a difference between those who come in to the hobby not caring about anything other than potential profits and those who come into the hobby as content consumers (including the cgc-era cover collector strain of newish collector) and move over time to passion-driven investment into the more pricey corners of the hobby,  whether we are talking 9.8 limited-run moderns, price variants, high-grade silver age, or OA and golden age in general, etc. 

I guess I’m saying what we all know in our guts; nostalgia helps sustain, a lot.

On 11/19/2022 at 6:32 AM, ThothAmon said:

Oh it was gorgeousness and gorgeosity made flesh. The trombones crunched redgold under my bed, and behind my gulliver the trumpets three-wise silverflamed, and there by the door the timps rolling through my guts and out again crunched like candy thunder. Oh, it was wonder of wonders. And then, a bird of like rarest spun heavenmetal, or like silvery wine flowing in a spaceship, gravity all nonsense now, came the violin solo above all the other strings, and those strings were like a cage of silk round my bed. Then flute and oboe bored, like worms of like platinum, into the thick thick toffee gold and silver. I was in such bliss, my brothers.

0C85A6C3-4564-46F6-B5D4-F48CD95928EA.jpeg

This seller prices this lot to not sell it but bring attention to their store, which I will say, it has done a great job in doing that. 

On 12/3/2022 at 9:34 AM, kimik said:

Nice to see eBay is heating up for raw Moderns again. I have been selling slabbed SA/BA/CA books steadily the past couple of months. 

Re Batman 656 - does that sell for more than 655 now?

655 is still the book for Damian that is worth the money. Then 656 and 666 kind of tie, but 666 usually goes for quite a bit more as it’s a future story of him as Batman.

On 12/2/2022 at 12:58 AM, Corona smith said:

I’ve had my Batman #656 raw newsstand up for months and it just sold for $85. It’s the first full Damian Wayne. 

1135282C-96BF-4AC3-8BA2-4B3548F4A2EB.jpeg

If Amazing Spider-man 299 is 1st appearance in cameo of Venom with more panels, this should be 2nd Cameo appearance not 1st full. Damian's name is not revealed until Batman 657 which should be the 1st full appearance.

Edited by catch21

On 12/5/2022 at 2:55 AM, catch21 said:

If Amazing Spider-man 299 is 1st appearance in cameo, this should be 2nd Cameo appearance not 1st full.

You may have inadvertently responded to the incorrect post.

Now I comprehend the point you made. That is what happens when I only read the last post.

Edited by Tec-Tac-Toe

On 12/3/2022 at 10:34 AM, kimik said:

Nice to see eBay is heating up for raw Moderns again. I have been selling slabbed SA/BA/CA books steadily the past couple of months. 

Re Batman 656 - does that sell for more than 655 now?

I always pay more for Batman #656. The previous issue 655 is a brief shadowed appearance. 

On 12/5/2022 at 2:55 AM, catch21 said:

If Amazing Spider-man 299 is 1st brief appearance of Venom with more panels, this should be 2nd brief appearance not 1st full. Damian's name is not revealed until Batman 657 which should be the 1st full appearance.

I consider multiple panels a first full, a name isn’t necessary for me.  I also wish people would stop using the word cameo and use the proper term of brief when describing a short few panel appearance. A cameo is when a character makes an appearance in another characters book. 

On 12/5/2022 at 12:36 AM, Corona smith said:

I always pay more for Batman #656. The previous issue 655 is a brief shadowed appearance. 

Precident in the past Shadows alone don't count as full appearances in comics.

Edited by catch21

On 12/5/2022 at 12:46 AM, Corona smith said:

I consider multiple panels a first full, a name isn’t necessary for me.  I also wish people would stop using the word cameo and use the proper term of brief when describing a short few panel appearance. A cameo is when a character makes an appearance in another characters book. 

That's great for you. However, Overstreet, CBCS and CGC use how many times the character's face appears. Many miss that detail.  At the time of publish,a character in the shadows is still unknown character. Also in most cases after a shadow cameo/brief appearance, the character's name will be in Bold in the full appearance issue.

Edited by catch21