• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

On 12/7/2022 at 1:19 PM, catch21 said:

I do not know what econonimics class you went to.  I was taught  market is how much an asset can be sold or bought. It does not determine the type of appearance.  I am still waiting for that example where the value of book changed the type of appearance.

I am not sure why you would say that. Prices are subject to supply and demand and the demand part would very clearly involve what kind of appearance it is. I read it as the type of appearance, as determined by the market, will affect demand and thus, price. Ergo, the market will decided what kind of appearance it is.

On 12/7/2022 at 10:46 AM, PeterPark said:

I am not sure why you would say that. Prices are subject to supply and demand and the demand part would very clearly involve what kind of appearance it is. I read it as the type of appearance, as determined by the market, will affect demand and thus, price. Ergo, the market will decided what kind of appearance it is.

Again, name a book where the Value changed the appearance. None of you done that yet.  I did not talk about supply and demand. You are misquoting me.

Edited by catch21

On 12/7/2022 at 11:19 AM, catch21 said:

I do not know what econonimics class you went to.  I was taught  market is how much an asset can be sold or bought. It does not determine the type of appearance.  I am still waiting for that example where the value of book changed the type of appearance.

Really?  That’s what you took from my posts???  You better reread my posts.  I’m saying the exact opposite of what you posted:

On 12/6/2022 at 7:49 PM, 500Club said:

I agree that that doesn’t redefine what are truths, though.  A literal first appearance is a literal first appearance.  Period.

What I said after that is that the market doesn’t assign value based on those truths.  You want examples?  Hulk 180/181 is the easiest.  No one debates the truth that 180 is a literal first appearance.  But that fact doesn’t cause the market to necessarily value the book as the most valuable.  Clearer?

On 12/6/2022 at 7:38 PM, catch21 said:

It does not. Reading the book does. Invincible Iron Man 7 the woman variant was labeled 1st appearance of Riri was the higher value book. Later changed to 1st appearance in Cameo while it was the higher book. Label changed Invincible Iron Man 9 to 1st full appearance of RIRI while Iron Man 7 was worth more. NOW the regular Invincible Iron Man 9 is worth more than the Invincible Iron Man 7 variant.

Just because a grading company changes a description of an appearance on one of their   labels doesn’t dictate which book is more valuable. A lot a collectors don’t pay attention to what the grading companies say on their labels. We actually read the books and make that determination ourselves. I also want to point out that this thread is about MODERN COMICS HEATING UP ON EBAY.

On 12/7/2022 at 1:55 PM, catch21 said:

Again, name a book where the Value changed the appearance. None of you done that yet.  I did not talk about supply and demand. You are misquoting me.

Modern Comics Heating Up on EBay. Go to the numerous other threads that discuss cameos, firsts and first fulls. 

On 12/7/2022 at 11:46 AM, PeterPark said:

Closer.  Maybe I wasn’t clear enough.  I’m really just trying to say that overall, the market doesn’t necessarily value the literal first appearance as the most valuable.  Other factors come into play.  That’s where the economics of demand come into play. 

But the reverse is true, too.  A book may be deemed the most important or valuable, but that doesn’t change the truth of what type of appearance it is.

Value <> type of appearance

On 12/7/2022 at 11:20 AM, 500Club said:

Closer.  Maybe I wasn’t clear enough.  I’m really just trying to say that overall, the market doesn’t necessarily value the literal first appearance as the most valuable.  Other factors come into play.  That’s where the economics of demand come into play. 

But the reverse is true, too.  A book may be deemed the most important or valuable, but that doesn’t change the truth of what type of appearance it is.

That's exactly what I have been saying,

On 12/7/2022 at 1:55 PM, catch21 said:

I don't recall using quotes but you mentioned econonomics which I had assumed to be economics. I assume they covered supply and demand in your class? Hulk 181 is an immediate example where the market decided that was the first appearance despite the previous appearance in 180. The price reflects that decision.

On 12/7/2022 at 2:20 PM, 500Club said:

Jimmy Olsen 134 :roflmao:

On 12/7/2022 at 12:12 PM, Corona smith said:

Just because a grading company changes a description of an appearance on one of their   labels doesn’t dictate which book is more valuable. A lot a collectors don’t pay attention to what the grading companies say on their labels. We actually read the books and make that determination ourselves. I also want to point out that this thread is about MODERN COMICS HEATING UP ON EBAY.

Slow your roll.  This debate is just enjoying a cameo appearance here. :baiting:

On 12/7/2022 at 11:12 AM, Corona smith said:

Agreed, I gave excamples where labels do change the value Iroman  7 and where the label does not Batman 655. You must have missed it,

On 12/7/2022 at 11:23 AM, PeterPark said:

I don't recall using quotes but you mentioned econonomics which I had assumed to be economics. I assume they covered supply and demand in your class? Hulk 181 is an immediate example where the market decided that was the first appearance despite the previous appearance in 180. The price reflects that decision.

That grey book in your reply is my qoute, That's not happened in the Hulk 180 and Hulk 181 story.

On 12/7/2022 at 12:35 PM, godzilla43 said:
On 12/7/2022 at 12:30 PM, PeterPark said:

Prices are all over the place. What's the news?

I don't know there are some 1st appereance on those issues but I was just surprised that those go for that much.

1st "Council of Reeds". Here is the panel with the 1st app with the Reeds in ancient Egypt.

Nile river egypt pyramids hi-res stock photography and images - Alamy