• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,730 posts in this topic

On 12/9/2022 at 7:11 AM, darkstar said:

Why would I count them? They are a niche and the difference in print run from issue to issue within a title is negligible most of the time.  

So there’s no difference in print runs between late modern newsstands and direct editions?! If you think that’s true you need to do some actual research.

I also think if you’re going to claim  a certain variant is the rarest you need to include all the variants of that issue. 

Edited by Corona smith

On 12/9/2022 at 4:49 AM, Ryan. said:

Is there any way you guys can take this impossibly boring cameo debate to another thread? My scrolling thumb is getting arthritic from having to scroll past pages of tedium.

Is anyone buying the WhatNot titles? I got Alpha Betas 1 and could barely finish it.

We are talking about market vs labels and Batman 655-657.

Edited by catch21

On 12/9/2022 at 6:57 AM, catch21 said:
On 12/9/2022 at 5:49 AM, Ryan. said:

Is there any way you guys can take this impossibly boring cameo debate to another thread? My scrolling thumb is getting arthritic from having to scroll past pages of tedium.

Is anyone buying the WhatNot titles? I got Alpha Betas 1 and could barely finish it.

We are talking about market vs labels and Batman 655-657.

Which should be moved to another thread. This one is focused on comic prices/values, not which appearance is the definitive 1st appearance.

On 12/9/2022 at 6:21 AM, Corona smith said:

So there’s no difference in print runs between late modern newsstands and direct editions?! If you think that’s true you need to do some actual research.

I also think if you’re going to claim  a certain variant is the rarest you need to include all the variants of that issue. 

That isn't what I wrote. 

The difference in print runs between Batman 656 newsstand and Batman 655 newsstand is likely negligible. Neither of those is going to drive the price of their respective issue and lead the market to favor one first appearance book over the other. The market deciding which first appearance book is THE first appearance book to own is not going to have anything to do with the print run of the newsstand. 

On 12/9/2022 at 8:03 AM, kimik said:

Which should be moved to another thread. This one is focused on comic prices/values, not which appearance is the definitive 1st appearance.

We are talking about if Market "prices/values" changes the type of appearance.  There is no talk here about which is the definitive appearance. 

Edited by catch21

On 12/9/2022 at 9:04 AM, darkstar said:

. The market deciding which first appearance book is THE first appearance book to own is not going to have anything to do with the print run of the newsstand

Market decides Value/Price that's it. If you can understand CGC grades a book based on condition and not how much market price someone paid for their raw book, why can't people understand people labeling an appearance based upon reading the book?

Edited by catch21

On 12/7/2022 at 10:55 AM, catch21 said:

Again, name a book where the Value changed the appearance. None of you done that yet.  I did not talk about supply and demand. You are misquoting me.

The only book I can think of that may answer your question is Ninja High School #38.  It was thought that it was the Warrior Nun Areala 1st appearance, even though she doesn't appear in the book at all.  Someone just assumed it was her on the cover.  As the price of the book got higher, more and more people started calling that book her first appearance, but no one actually looked inside the book to see if that were true.  It wasn't until a few years ago until people started to find out that it wasn't her first appearance, but there are some still trying to sell the book as her first appearance.  

On 12/9/2022 at 1:39 PM, catch21 said:

We are talking about if Market "prices/values" changes the type of appearance.  There is no talk here about which is the definitive appearance. 

That is fine. Take it to a separate thread and continue the discussion there. (thumbsu

Edited by kimik

On 12/7/2022 at 11:26 AM, godzilla43 said:

Still this is going on :pullhair: :signofftopic:  Anyways lets get back on track. I dunno are these books getting hotter or already going down but 
Fantastic Four 570 and 579.

It's been said before on these threads . . .  what I collect is golden :bigsmile: and what you collect is poo-poo! :deadhorse:

:baiting:

On 12/8/2022 at 10:58 AM, FlyingDonut said:
On 12/7/2022 at 10:55 AM, catch21 said:

Again, name a book where the Value changed the appearance. None of you done that yet.  I did not talk about supply and demand. You are misquoting me.

Conan 23.

Nice to see you finally come around to the dark side Donut! :peace:

On 12/8/2022 at 3:23 PM, darkstar said:
On 12/6/2022 at 4:19 PM, catch21 said:

I did.   1. Green Lantern 25 was the higher value  for three years and was labeled 1st appearance of Jessica Cruz. Later it was changed 1st appearance in Cameo.  Justice League 31 is now labeled  1st full appearance of Jessica Cruz. Later the higher value changed Justice League 31.   2. Batman 655 labeled as 1st appearance in cameo Daiman  Wayne. Batman 656 labeled 1st full appearance of Daimen Wayne. The higher value remains Batman #655. 

Give me a time where the higher Value made the grading companies  or overstreet  change 1st appearance in cameo to 1st appearance.   Value and the type of appearance are independent. 

The value of those two books is the result of them having the rarest variants among all the issues up for consideration as the first appearance. Batman 656 is cheaper than Batman 655 because that issue has no variant, but 655 has the 1:10 incentive. Justice League 31 combopack is the rarest variant of any Jessica Cruz first appearance book. The regular covers are propped up by the price the variant commands. Also 655 was one of CBSI's babies because the owner loved the character, and he hyped that book for half a decade proclaiming Damian to be the next big thing.  

Runs to the garage to see how many dozens of copies I have of Justice League 31 . . . :flipbait: 

On 12/9/2022 at 5:34 PM, Semicentennial said:

The only book I can think of that may answer your question is Ninja High School #38.  It was thought that it was the Warrior Nun Areala 1st appearance, even though she doesn't appear in the book at all.  Someone just assumed it was her on the cover.  As the price of the book got higher, more and more people started calling that book her first appearance, but no one actually looked inside the book to see if that were true.  It wasn't until a few years ago until people started to find out that it wasn't her first appearance, but there are some still trying to sell the book as her first appearance.  

You have the wrong book I think.  Shanna Masters appears first in issue 37.

On 12/10/2022 at 5:41 AM, MrWeen said:

You have the wrong book I think.  Shanna Masters appears first in issue 37.

I'm fully aware of that.   NHS #38 was considered her first appearance for the longest time. 

Here is the thread I started way back in 2015 regarding the book.  

Edited by Semicentennial

On 12/10/2022 at 8:44 AM, Semicentennial said:

I'm fully aware of that.   NHS #38 was considered her first appearance for the longest time. 

Here is the thread I started way back in 2015 regarding the book.  

Excellent, you just didn't mention 37 which is why I added it. If anyone had bothered to do a little research Ben Dunn confirmed all this in a video and inside actual comics back then.

I am surprised WN books aren't getting much love as the new season is out and the show does appear to have a following.

On 12/9/2022 at 5:34 PM, Semicentennial said:

This basically just established that people assumed something (that apparently wasn't true? I'm not familiar with the character) based on value. Almost certainly those still trying to sell the book as a first appearance are either not aware of the facts, or simply want to profit, so perpetuate the misinformation.