• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

On 2/6/2023 at 12:50 PM, WolverineX said:

When did Supergirl legion of superheroes 23 Hughes cover get so expensive?

I was thinking about her now that the movie is being planned and surprised at the last few sold prices....

It does look like it's inching up again, but it's still down from its peak a few years ago.

On 2/9/2023 at 10:20 AM, WolverineX said:

What was the peak?  I imagine the upcoming movie will help.  Probably the best modern variant cover. 

thumbnail_00000001.jpg

Actually, I may have misspoke... it looks like lots of the recent sales are for copies under 9.8 or from other companies, so it probably is at a new peak.  I was thinking they had hit around $1000 then dropped back to the $700 range, but I haven't looked all that often recently.  My copy has a small color breaking corner tic on the back, so I haven't bothered getting it graded.

Supergirl_Legion_23_var.thumb.jpg.a8d7682ad1871df7e228d9fbda73d8d5.jpg

On 2/9/2023 at 1:20 PM, WolverineX said:

What was the peak?  I imagine the upcoming movie will help.  Probably the best modern variant cover. 

thumbnail_00000001.jpg

But why is her cape and hair flying away? If not in space, at best she's just starting to hit the atmosphere where the amount of air would have an insignificant effect on it.

On 2/9/2023 at 12:24 PM, MrWeen said:

Stormwatch 11 is a better bet for first Authority over wildcats/aliens  depending on how we would  define a team first. 

Makes sense to me. I never had much of a dog in the race, I'm an Aliens collector, Stormwatch/Authority never meant much to me either way. I got outbid on the #11 at Clink, I was trying to get these dirt cheap. I think it went for about $40? I've still got the #10 up on MCS now, the single 9.8 in the census. Surprised it's still sitting there. 

On 2/9/2023 at 12:24 PM, PeterPark said:
On 2/9/2023 at 12:11 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

But why is her cape and hair flying away? If not in space, at best she's just starting to hit the atmosphere where the amount of air would have an insignificant effect on it.

I guess you would say she is accelerating.

Still weightless. I find the entire subject rather "uplifting" :bigsmile:

Edited by divad

On 2/9/2023 at 11:56 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I had a newsstand, and yet I wasn't sure if the time had come for it, a keeper Lord willing :) 

Bought the variant for cover price the Wednesday it released. It was a weird being B&W but it was Spider-Man and a #1 so I bought it. Sold it for $100 yrs ago lol. 

Edited by littledoom

Got to love it, nevermind the girl sitting on an meteor entering earths atmosphere, focus on hair and cape :p

Suppose you could argue that since we can see the meteor starting to burn up she is in the mesophere which does have air and causes the friction to start burning up the meteor which in turn could also be the why her cape and hair to start moving.

On 2/10/2023 at 7:13 PM, IbukiLord said:

Got to love it, nevermind the girl sitting on an meteor entering earths atmosphere, focus on hair and cape :p

Suppose you could argue that since we can see the meteor starting to burn up she is in the mesophere which does have air and causes the friction to start burning up the meteor which in turn could also be the why her cape and hair to start moving.

Why not? Heat produces energy, which in this case is happening alongside velocity  which starts at a staggering 9.8 metres per second.

Should we organize a seminar on atmospheric physics and thermodynamics?

Is there a NASA staffer on the boards?

On 2/10/2023 at 4:45 AM, World Devourer said:

Why not? Heat produces energy, which in this case is happening alongside velocity  which starts at a staggering 9.8 metres per second.

Should we organize a seminar on atmospheric physics and thermodynamics?

Is there a NASA staffer on the boards?

I'm probably as close as they come. It looks like you are thinking of the acceleration due to gravity on the surface of Earth, 9.8 meters per second squared.

On 2/10/2023 at 1:13 AM, IbukiLord said:

I’ve always just assumed she’d eaten some chili. (shrug)