• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

On 2/13/2023 at 10:59 AM, WolverineX said:

With Damian coming to the DCU, I guess we should be hoarding cheap copies of Convergence: Superman #2 .  I know there are several variants.  

Surely, Jon Kent will show up at some point as well.

Speculation is fun when you can get them on the cheap, but it has to be pure speculation like this.  Off to my LCS now...

On 2/13/2023 at 10:21 AM, catch21 said:

All you are doing is repeating yourself without backing up with resources that show someone in the shadows and body count as full appearance in the grading community.  For example, Doomsday had multiple appearances with body parts only but those appearances  didn't count as full.  Hope pym appearance was just a leg soeaking and it didn't count as a full.

All I’m doing is stating facts. I don’t need to explain every panel he appears in because you have a difference of opinion. He’s shown in full in several panels and speaks. 

On 2/13/2023 at 11:08 AM, Lazyboy said:

Yes, it is.

Here is a perfect example of a cameo (a brief appearance by an established character):

SupesCameo.thumb.jpg.57b78d452952c8923bf222df05c20eba.jpg

The only reason Damian is called a brief appearance rather than a cameo (or two) is because new characters can't make cameos.

You’re talking/comparing established characters making a cameo in another’s title to a first appearance. What you posted is a cameo.

So I’m guessing if that page you posted was Booster Golds first ever appearance you’d consider it a brief appearance and not a first full?! if so I don’t need to say anything else. 

On 2/13/2023 at 1:13 PM, Corona smith said:

You’re talking/comparing established characters making a cameo in another’s title to a first appearance. What you posted is a cameo.

???

The only difference is when in the character's history the appearance takes place!

On 2/13/2023 at 1:13 PM, Corona smith said:

So I’m guessing if that page you posted was Booster Golds first ever appearance you’d consider it a brief appearance and not a first full?! if so I don’t need to say anything else. 

Booster Gold? Anyway, if that were some new character instead of Superman, of course it would be a brief appearance. You don't need to say anything else. You've already proven your level.

On 2/13/2023 at 1:08 PM, Corona smith said:

All I’m doing is stating facts. I don’t need to explain every panel he appears in because you have a difference of opinion. He’s shown in full in several panels and speaks. 

Which still isn't the line between brief and full.

On 2/13/2023 at 2:22 PM, Lazyboy said:

???

The only difference is when in the character's history the appearance takes place!

Booster Gold? Anyway, if that were some new character instead of Superman, of course it would be a brief appearance. You don't need to say anything else. You've already proven your level.

I got whoever the character was wrong. I don’t know a ton about dc characters. My bad.

However n the page you posted, if it was the characters first appearance, you’d consider that a brief first appearance and not a first full?

To me it’s a first full. A character doesn’t have to appear in every panel in a book for it to be a first full. I mean he appears in 9 or 10 panels and speaks. He’s not in the shadows or obscured in anyway. 

On 2/13/2023 at 2:22 PM, Lazyboy said:

???

I’ve proven my level because I don’t know all of dc’s c-list characters? Or that I have a different opinion? 

I think you’d be in the minority in considering that hypothetical page being a brief first appearance and not a first full of Animal Man. If it were in fact his first appearance it’d be a first full. Or even if you hypothetically reversed it to Superman’s first appearance he appears in enough panels for me to consider it a first full. 

Edited by Corona smith

I mean is there some universal rule when determining the differences between what constitutes a brief first appearance versus a first full? 

i agree on Cameos not being applicable when it comes to a characters first appearance. They were unknown until that appearance so it doesn’t really fit to me. Although Overstreet describes a cameo as a character appearing briefly in another’s title. 

Edited by Corona smith

On 2/13/2023 at 1:41 PM, Corona smith said:

I got whoever the character was wrong. I don’t know a ton about dc characters. My bad.

However n the page you posted, if it was the characters first appearance, you’d consider that a brief first appearance and not a first full?

To me it’s a first full. A character doesn’t have to appear in every panel in a book for it to be a first full. I mean he appears in 9 or 10 panels and speaks. He’s not in the shadows or obscured in anyway. 

So you really don't understand the difference between a story and a teaser leading into a story? If a character is in the story, it's an appearance (of course). If a character is actually part of the story, it's a full appearance. Again, the art, by itself, is not the determining factor.

Cameo and brief appearance mean the same thing. The only difference is that new characters can't make cameos. You already correctly acknowledged that Superman's appearance in Animal Man that I posted is a cameo.

On 2/13/2023 at 8:21 AM, catch21 said:

All you are doing is repeating yourself without backing up with resources that show someone in the shadows and body count as full appearance in the grading community.

The market is irrational. (thumbsu

Long winded collector entreaties that insist the market should see something differently usually end up being tilting at windmills.

On 2/13/2023 at 6:14 PM, catch21 said:
On 2/13/2023 at 5:40 PM, Ryan. said:

How does this thread always devolve into cameo vs first appearance debates?

Because learning the difference ahead of the market your roi can be higher in most cases,

I wish that were it. Someone just wants to be right.

On 2/13/2023 at 4:27 PM, fastballspecial said:

That's what happened with on Riri IIM 7 flipped to IIM 9, Jessica Cruz GL 25 flipped to JL 31, Now Daimen on the regular with 655 and 656. 

Edited by catch21

On 2/13/2023 at 6:27 PM, fastballspecial said:

Oh, is that why he started this with:

On 2/11/2023 at 7:15 AM, Corona smith said:

Batman #656 is a first full appearance regardless of what anyone states here. Damian appears in 5 panels which to me is a first full. 

?